Politician Asks Game Makers to End Real-Life Gun Licensing

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I'm not particularly convinced this solves any problem whatsoever. There are dozens of vendors for the AR-15 for example and they tend to generally all look more or less the same in any given class. Likewise there are only a handful of ways one can illustrate an automatic pistol or revolver. Ensuring there isn't a real world counterpart does virtually nothing as the weapon will still end up looking more or less like a firearm already on the market.

Of course, aside from the AR series, the vast majority of weapons that show up in video games are only loosly available to the public. One can purchase the P-90 but unless one has a (very expensive) permit, they can only purchase the P-90c which only features a semi-automatic mode. This tends to be true for any exotic weapon you can point to and such weapons tend to be staggeringly expensive if available at all. Many European and Asian weapons are only available in the US through odd loopholes in the import laws for example ensuring that actually getting such a weapon that functions well can be both difficult (in terms of simply locating an example) and expensive. Other weapons simply aren't available - the French FAMAS for example.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
I don't know. Since quite a few people here seem to be in support of the idea that games can cause things like sexism and death threats in real life, maybe this guy has a point. I really think that if games can cause other kinds of bad social behavior then a much closer look at a possible link between video game and real world violence is needed. And this just might be the first step on the road to doing that.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I would like to be bothered to say some intelligent sentences on this matter...but i shall digress to a tired sigh and 'same ole bullshit'
I cant believe any person could hold such misguided priorities, unless their mother was gang raped by all of the call of duties on christmas morning. When will they wise up?

Captain Anon

Mar 5, 2012
Sharkey nonetheless made a point of noting that Sandy Hook mass murderer Adam Lanza was an "active" Call of Duty player and that the Bushmaster rifle he used appears in the game.

really? really?! we gonna bring Sandy Hook and Adam Lanza in this? ok then tell me did COD have any connection to Sandy Hook killings, NO! you're just making bullshit as you go but then you always have, Adam Lanza killed 20 children and 8 school teachers last year, why?! because he thought the world was going to burn in December but it didn't and Adam was like any young adult that played video games like me and then That fucking Mayan Calendar said the world was going to end and everyone went crazy including Adam, he picked up the first gun he saw and went killed some people and you a Politician is using this to just ban shit for shits and giggles and it pisses me off!! end of rant I'm done

Scentedwiind

Nov 13, 2009
Roofstone said:
At least he sent a letter asking them to "please do this, it might help?" instead of shouting about it up on a podium.
I agree. Though public pressure can really solve a problem, if one indeed exists, much faster than a letter. I think the fact we've heard means they have struck a balance which invites conversation while eliminating open bile.

Scentedwiind

Nov 13, 2009
Captain Anon said:
Sharkey nonetheless made a point of noting that Sandy Hook mass murderer Adam Lanza was an "active" Call of Duty player and that the Bushmaster rifle he used appears in the game.

really? really?! we gonna bring Sandy Hook and Adam Lanza in this? ok then tell me did COD have any connection to Sandy Hook killings, NO! you're just making bullshit as you go but then you always have, Adam Lanza killed 20 children and 8 school teachers last year, why?! because he thought the world was going to burn in December but it didn't and Adam was like any young adult that played video games like me and then That fucking Mayan Calendar said the world was going to end and everyone went crazy including Adam, he picked up the first gun he saw and went killed some people and you a Politician is using this to just ban shit for shits and giggles and it pisses me off!! end of rant I'm done
Calm down. Relax, we are all friends here. Now I'm sure he has a reason for bringing the issue here into the conversation. It needs to be discussed before dismissed and I feel perhaps that your zeal is equal to the opponents.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
it would accomplish nothing, and gun licensing in games causes no real world violence, just like guns being in games in the first place causes no real world violence.

besides, it adds to the realism of the games. you dont see the dude sending letters to movie studios asking them to do the same thing.

Xdeser2

Aug 11, 2012
Ummm, I know I'm in the minority here, but yeah I kinda agree with this

....kinda. I dont agree with the idea that recognizing guns from games makes you want to murder people horribly (though, Yes, I do know people that freak out a bit going like "OMG I used teh gun so much in Battlefield!") however, I personally dont like filling the coffers of Berret, H&K, etc. when I play a game.

I dont mind guns, and I dont mind other people who have guns, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth that a portion of my purchase price, or a sizable portion of the development cost of that game might very well go to a company that does businesses in death.

It's just my opinion though, I can totally understand why others might disagree.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
If he wants the gaming industry to stop using licenses, then he is asking the wrong side of the party.

The only reason why videogames have to get licenses is because the military and weapon manufacturing companies require it from them. If not, then they will get into a legal battle with them.

Of course the United States won't DARE oppose the guns industry on any of their flaws, and would rather blame parties that are more or less a symptom than a cause of the guns industries incompetence.

yankeesniper57

Jan 14, 2013
Adam Jensen said:
Roofstone said:
At least he sent a letter asking them to "please do this, it might help?" instead of shouting about it up on a podium.
It's still retarded. He's basically admitting that guns are bad. But he doesn't want to do anything about real guns. Instead he thinks video games should take the heat.
Also not the problem. The guns in these games (minus a couple of sidearms and maybe a shotgun or two) aren't even available to buy, so he can't possibly have a problem with the guns that the game is marketing. You can blame non-humans for human actions.

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
How ridiculous. If any medium COULD have a relationship with real life violence, it would be FILMS, which use real people in real situations and sometimes REAL GUNS.

But they don't have any relationship.

It's like asking to have all swords removed from video games. WHAT?!

I can see it now. "Just use sticks! That way, there will be no nefarious connection to real world sharp objects!".

(-_-)\ <- me rubbing my temple.

Look, ... UGH FORGET IT!!!!

edit: okay I couldn't forget it.

When I see someone defend them self with a sword in a video game, it doesn't make me froth at the mouth and want to start chopping things\people. Only very small children mimic in this fashion, and that's because... THEY DON'T KNOW ANY BETTER! Anyone over the age of like, 7 will know better.

And if you're providing children that small with a weapon of any sort, you're just simply a horrible parent.

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
Once a-fucking-gain the same old goddamn misinformed retard opinion from politicians with their heads so far up their asses you can't tell where one part ends and the other begins.

When do we get to criminalize this hate speech against games?

I'm serious, btw.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Foolish politician makes foolish statement about a subject that has no importance or actual consequence in reality.
(bonus points for following up with a statement that directly undermines his message)

Nevermind that most licensed firearms shown in games are very expensive and difficult for a child to acquire. If the issue he's talking is supposed to imply that games teach children how to use firearms, that makes even less sense.

Games alone cannot teach children how to handle a firearm properly. There is no muscle memory, no experience with handling recoil, no field stripping and cleaning, or hell most games don't even show where the bloody SAFETY is located.

By why the fuck should I expect Politicians to provide any sort of evidence for their proposals at this point?
They're only lawyers and top bred businessmen.

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
"Blah blah blah I have no proof of what I'm going on about blah blah blah blah SANDY HOOK! blah blah blah TERRORISM! blah blah blah I'm a senior!! Blah blah blah blah Video games are the devil! Blah blah blah Stop using guns in games! Blah blah blah Get off my lawn!"

Kittyhawk

Aug 2, 2012
Another politically motivated move to look like they are actually doing something. EA are nuts to run with this, because it won't actually stop them or another other dev from dealing with gun manufacturers. In order for an action game to be made involving real guns, devs have to test real guns on ranges and have replicas for creative reference at their studios during development.

Changing names means little to nothing, when some parents can teach their kids to shoot from an early age. And as demonstrated above pictures can speak louder than words. I can tell a SCAR when I see one, than an M4 or M16, because I've seen many of them over the years.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
In terms of the subject... I don't care... I take spinfuser any day over AK47 (TM)

I actually think it's more creative to have unreal names for guns like GTA2 did with cars... when they have immaginary brands... we should do that for guns as well... so we don't have to pop in different games... but get the same sets of weapons every time...

JSF01

Jan 19, 2011
punipunipyo said:
In terms of the subject... I don't care... I take spinfuser any day over AK47 (TM)

I actually think it's more creative to have unreal names for guns like GTA2 did with cars... when they have immaginary brands... we should do that for guns as well... so we don't have to pop in different games... but get the same sets of weapons every time...
The thing is though it is not any more creative than what they do now. In games that are suppose to take place in a "realistic" setting, the developers will continue using the exact same models. Worst still is any minor changes they make to the weapon, just comes across as the developer having been lazy in their creation of the game.

Now the reason that the unreal names for the cars, work in the GTA is because it is not suppose to take place in this universe. It takes place in a universe that is a parody of this one.

lordmardok

Mar 25, 2010
You know I have to admit, I actually like this idea. I mean as much as I've always been an opponent of the 'Video Games = Real Violence" idea I can't deny that a 14 year old knowing how to actually load, chamber, and fire an H&K M416 just because they play Battlefield 3 is a little disconcerting. I wouldn't mind this at all and I'm happily impressed that someone up on capital hill has figured out how to act like a god damn adult about all this. I would gladly vote for this to pass if it to that.

TallanKhan

Aug 13, 2009
Yet another politician trying to scapegoat videogames because he is too gutless to tackle gun control.

I live in the UK, where we play the same violent, gun loving psychopath producing video games as people in the US, however, in 2012 58 people were murdered with firearms in the UK, compared to 8,775 in the US. (The US population is approximatley 5x the population of the UK, so if you scale the figures up it shows there were about 30x as many gun killings in the US as there were in the UK per head of population.)

But how can that be I hear you cry? We all know that guns in video games are the only cause of gun crime dont we? Surely it couldn't have anything to do with the strict gun control in the UK could it? Of course not, as any republican will tell you, gun control doesn't work. As for why less people get shot in the UK every year? I guess its just a mystery.

The source of my figures: http://www.juancole.com/2012/07/58-murders-a-year-by-firearms-in-britain-8775-in-us.html