[POLITICS] Two Mass Shootings in 15 Hours, and O'Rourke on Trump

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Lil devils x said:
aegix drakan said:
So, random personal tangent on the gun discussion...

I had a moment of sudden perspective on the bus last night, that made me even more glad that I live in Canada.

I was on my way home from my monthly LARP, and since it was 11 PM and friday night counts as a "weekend", the end of the bridge was merging 4 lanes into 1 due to late-night construction.

So, everyone's annoyed at this huge traffic jam. Then, the guy directly behind me goes from grumbling to literally screaming out loud in french at the top of his lungs and punctuating the screamed words with heavy stomps. And yelling for people up front to yell at the driver to use the reserved lane when the reserved lane was blocked off due to construction. Honestly, it freaked me the hell out.

Fortunately, he didn't start shoving or getting more aggressive, but when I got off the bus, I had a thought.

If I lived in the US, I'd have to wonder "Does this unstable man have a gun? Might he use it to threaten the bus driver or anyone between him and them? Might someone else on the bus feel threatened by him and pull out their own gun? I'm literally next to the guy, would I be the first target?"
o
Next time I speak to my grandparents I'm going to AGAIN thank them for coming to Canada, and not the States. I like not having to worry that anyone, even unstable people, might be armed and deadly.
So I was woke up in the middle of the night last night with a call from my sister that the father of her children was shot and killed by a neighbor over an argument about the neighbors dog being in his yard so she now has to explain to her children why their father is dead. Yes, be glad you moved to Canada or anywhere else for that matter where things like this are not just a daily occurrence. She already had to explain to them that their cousin the same age as them that they played with daily was dead after being ripped apart and eaten alive at 7 yrs old by a neighbors fighting pit bulls while playing in his own yard, now their father is dead just a few years later. Yes, be glad to live anywhere but here where this is apparently acceptable by societies standards here because having dogs bred to kill and guns in the hands of anyone is apparently more important than children playing in their own yard and people being murdered for not wanting viscous dogs in their yard where their baby plays.
You and your family live around the Dallas rural area, right? You might as well just move to Austin or any other place that's not in rural Texas.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Marik2 said:
Lil devils x said:
aegix drakan said:
So, random personal tangent on the gun discussion...

I had a moment of sudden perspective on the bus last night, that made me even more glad that I live in Canada.

I was on my way home from my monthly LARP, and since it was 11 PM and friday night counts as a "weekend", the end of the bridge was merging 4 lanes into 1 due to late-night construction.

So, everyone's annoyed at this huge traffic jam. Then, the guy directly behind me goes from grumbling to literally screaming out loud in french at the top of his lungs and punctuating the screamed words with heavy stomps. And yelling for people up front to yell at the driver to use the reserved lane when the reserved lane was blocked off due to construction. Honestly, it freaked me the hell out.

Fortunately, he didn't start shoving or getting more aggressive, but when I got off the bus, I had a thought.

If I lived in the US, I'd have to wonder "Does this unstable man have a gun? Might he use it to threaten the bus driver or anyone between him and them? Might someone else on the bus feel threatened by him and pull out their own gun? I'm literally next to the guy, would I be the first target?"
o
Next time I speak to my grandparents I'm going to AGAIN thank them for coming to Canada, and not the States. I like not having to worry that anyone, even unstable people, might be armed and deadly.
So I was woke up in the middle of the night last night with a call from my sister that the father of her children was shot and killed by a neighbor over an argument about the neighbors dog being in his yard so she now has to explain to her children why their father is dead. Yes, be glad you moved to Canada or anywhere else for that matter where things like this are not just a daily occurrence. She already had to explain to them that their cousin the same age as them that they played with daily was dead after being ripped apart and eaten alive at 7 yrs old by a neighbors fighting pit bulls while playing in his own yard, now their father is dead just a few years later. Yes, be glad to live anywhere but here where this is apparently acceptable by societies standards here because having dogs bred to kill and guns in the hands of anyone is apparently more important than children playing in their own yard and people being murdered for not wanting viscous dogs in their yard where their baby plays.
You and your family live around the Dallas rural area, right? You might as well just move to Austin or any other place that's not in rural Texas.
My family lives all over Texas, Arizona, New Mexico and California. This didn't happen in DFW. I pretty much live in suburbia more than rural now since everything has grown so much. I actually used to live in Austin, I graduated from UT there before going to UTMB in Galveston. Love and miss it tbh. I was actually going to move back years ago, but stayed to help take care of my parents. I promised my Dad before he died I would take care of my Mom so I can't leave her and she won't move so I am stuck here for the time being. I am thinking though when I do move, it likely will be out of Texas unless something seriously changes with our government here..

aegix drakan said:
Lil devils x said:
So I was woke up in the middle of the night last night with a call from my sister that the father of her children was shot and killed by a neighbor over an argument about the neighbors dog being in his yard so she now has to explain to her children why their father is dead.
Jesus fucking christ, you and her have my deepest sympathies and condolences.
Thanks. It is seriously sad that this is the reality that we are forced to live through right now when none of this is necessary in the first place. It all just seems so senseless.

Sep 24, 2008
Lil devils x said:
There are literally no words. I actually want to offer my thoughts and prayers, but with the recent spate of senseless killings, such a sentiment seems hollow and trite, to be frank.

In tatters or no, you are a part of this community. When you grieve, we grieve. I am so sorry.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
CM156 said:
Saelune said:
CM156 said:
Saelune said:
Leg End said:
Saelune said:
Because of your extreme pro-gun bias.
So, my love for guns would... have a negative impact on melee weapons? Arms covers far more than just ballistics. To ask me the question and expect a different answer would be rather odd, to say the least.
CM156 said:
I love how we can have two different debates going on at the same time in the same thread, due to how conversation paths diverge
The site still has some magic in it yet.
As in you wouldnt care if it wasnt about guns.
People are allowed to use both swords and guns in religious ceremonies regardless of how that makes other people feel.
So? Doesnt refute me at all. Just because people are allowed to do something doesnt mean it is reasonable.
It's no less reasonable than any other religious ceremony.
I dont disagree, but not for the same reasons.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Leg End said:
Saelune said:
I like weapons in general. Either way, they're free to practice their religion as they see fit. Swords, guns, sex dolls, what have you.
Dont forget child molestation, and treating women and LGBT people as second class citizens.

If your religion involves abusing human rights, your religion does not deserve exemptions.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Saelune said:
Dont forget child molestation, and treating women and LGBT people as second class citizens.
A crime, and two things that are generally frowned upon in society.
If your religion involves abusing human rights, your religion does not deserve exemptions.
Who is talking about Exemptions?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Leg End said:
Saelune said:
A crime, and two things that are generally frowned upon in society.
Who is talking about Exemptions?
Leg End said:
Saelune said:
I like weapons in general. Either way, they're free to practice their religion as they see fit. Swords, guns, sex dolls, what have you.
So can religions do whatever they want or not? Pick one.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Saelune said:
They are free to practice their religion, with any actions that are criminal remaining criminal. Is this reasonable?

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Leg End said:
Saelune said:
They are free to practice their religion, with any actions that are criminal remaining criminal. Is this reasonable?
Who gets to decide what is criminal then?