Poll: 15 reasons why The Dark Knight Rises is incredible stupid.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
IronMit said:
Skyfall was worse then this film. And Man of steel was a new low for me. I would be interested to know your take on them if you appreciate logic and consistency in your films

boom! my SKyfall review
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1074638/reviews?filter=best

I'm preparing for all the downvotes that escapist users bring
That would imply that your review is worth logging in to downvote.

As I said in my first comment in this thread,

This isn't really a "review", this is hooting and hollering about perceived inconsistencies and nits, exaggerating their effect and using them to paint the entire film as "incredibly stupid", because being unrelentingly negative is popular on the internet.

Where's the proper synopsis? Where's the counterbalancing positives? Where's the general look into what the filmmaker did wrong/right as a whole as opposed to a billion examples?

Unless you actually track a film's worth entirely by it's logical consistency... in which case, please stop writing reviews. That's like judging a game based entirely on how good its jumping puzzles are.

IronMit

Jul 24, 2012
lacktheknack said:
That would imply that your review is worth logging in to downvote.

As I said in my first comment in this thread,

This isn't really a "review", this is hooting and hollering about perceived inconsistencies and nits, exaggerating their effect and using them to paint the entire film as "incredibly stupid", because being unrelentingly negative is popular on the internet.

Where's the proper synopsis? Where's the counterbalancing positives? Where's the general look into what the filmmaker did wrong/right as a whole as opposed to a billion examples?

Unless you actually track a film's worth entirely by it's logical consistency... in which case, please stop writing reviews. That's like judging a game based entirely on how good its jumping puzzles are.
ooo burnnn 'not worth logging into downvote' but very much worth replying to me? I don't know how important I should feel now?

'Review' in a public forum is now a very flexible term - 90% of readers probably have already seen the film- So the counterbalancing points is your own brain. A quick look at the comments usually for fills this need if you are struggling.
The OP posted this in reviews but did not mention the word 'review' once. The title was pretty straightforward. It was clearly not a conventional review. If you're looking for a formatted review that lives up to your literary standards then stay away from forums.

For someone that's complaining about the layout/content of this 'review' that last sentence(2 sentences) didn't make a lick of sense. Maybe ermmm Fragment (Consider Revising)?
Either contribute by countering his points (some can be countered/justified) or go pretend to be important somewhere else

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
IronMit said:
'Review' in a public forum is now a very flexible term - 90% of readers probably have already seen the film- So the counterbalancing points is your own brain.

I can't understand why I'd read a review after watching a movie, unless specifically asked to. So why on Earth would you ask someone to use their brain to counterbalance your review if the point of reading it is to find out if it's worth watching? If you're writing something that's meant to be read after watching the movie, then be honest and acknowledge that you've just written a content critique or a rant. I can see the use of critiques on a review forum, but a rant? That's off-topic territory. I could just as easily type up a rant about how much my ex sucks, but no one would say that it's "User Reviews" territory. If I wrote a critique or straight up review of my ex, that would be generally considered User Review content (although it would annoy and probably disgust people).

The OP posted this in reviews but did not mention the word 'review' once. The title was pretty straightforward. It was clearly not a conventional review. If you're looking for a formatted review that lives up to your literary standards then stay away from forums.

Alternatively, post it on Off-Topic, where it belongs (and, as a bonus, FAR more people will see it).

For someone that's complaining about the layout/content of this 'review' that last sentence(2 sentences) didn't make a lick of sense. Maybe ermmm Fragment (Consider Revising)?

Uhhhh... Pot, meet Kettle.

At any rate, if I actually wrote a full critique of his rant, you can be sure I'd put in the effort into keeping it clean, coherent and readable.

Either contribute by countering his points (some can be countered/justified) or go pretend to be important somewhere else
No.

I'm not pretending to be important, I'm lashing out mildly at a thread that's been misplaced. There's no point in trying to counter the OP's points, because he clearly doesn't give a damn (You know as well as I do that if the OP types more than 3500 words, longer than my university papers, with every single one of them dedicated to ripping down one movie, they're clearly too convinced in their own words to reconsider based on two hundred words written back at them).

This is the same as someone making a thread about their cat in the Gaming section. You're not supposed to do that, and if I'm crawling the Gaming forum, it's annoying to see irrelevant threads everywhere.

MrPhyntch

Nov 4, 2009
stroopwafel said:
I loved the Dark Knight Rises. Though I seem to be the only person on the internet. :( Yeah it took some liberties with consistency and what would be realistically expected behavior. But its a movie about someone dressed like a bat, what do you expect? I do think people tend to 'read' too much into these kind of movies.
I'm with you on this one. People really didn't get the purpose of it, and so they raged on it. The Nolan series, starting with Batman Begins, is supposed to be a political thriller set in the comic book world. The first movie focuses more on vigilante-ism and what "right" and "wrong" actually mean. TDK focuses on order vs Chaos, and the reliability of the public in chaotic situations. TDK's story wouldn't be out of place in the Assassin's Creed series, based solely on the struggles put in to play. TDKR is based more on classism (rich vs poor) and draws more inspiration from the modern "Occupy Wallstreet" vs "Tea-Party Movement" scenes going on at the time of production.

Essentially, most people didn't get what they wanted from the movie; a good batman brawler. What they got was a slower, political hash with an obviously just thrown in villain (probably due to Ledger's death and WB insisting on Nolan wrap up Dent's story in TDK) that didn't make sense to the comic fans, and the comic-based cover didn't draw in the PolSci crowds [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AudienceAlienatingPremise]. It was far less noticeable with TDK, as the Joker was always about order vs chaos, so the plotline fit well with the comics.

frizzlebyte said:
Salon.com's Andrew O'Hehir called it a "fascist film," [http://www.salon.com/2012/07/18/the_dark_knight_rises_christopher_nolans_evil_masterpiece/] and I'm inclined to agree. It almost feels like Statist propaganda, in fact. Oddly enough, Nolan's brother developed CBS's Person of Interest, which is a fun little show about how state-sponsored surveillance isn't all bad, since the "good guys" can use it to prevent crime that the gub'ment deems "irrelevant."
How is TDKR a fascist film in the slightest? Do you know what that term even means? Reading the article linked, it's obvious that Salon writer does not. Fascism is a mentality that is strictly pro-government to the point of near-total control, based on the fact that humans are soulless pigs who will tear each other's hearts out in an instant if their creature comforts are taken away. I don't know if you noticed the whole bloody point of the movie, but between TDK and TDKR the moral is that people CAN be good, and when pushed can fight for themselves and those around them just fine.

The only two fascist things I can come up with are A) the Dent act, which was treated as Gordon's biggest failure and one he sought to undo, and B) the police were treated as the heroes and the only ones capable of standing up to the bad guys. The truth behind that one is that the cops would be the best armed and best trained, considering Bane has commandeered all of Batman's military-grade equipment, and if Gotham really is like New York very few people have a handgun, let alone anything really powerful enough to fight with.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks Begins was a better film than the other two? I feel like everybody forgets about it because OMFG TDK WAS THE BEST MOVIE EVUUUR. If anybody agrees that Begins is the best film in the trilogy, you will be my new best friend.

But yeah, TDKR was incredibly stupid.
"I knew you were Batman because the look on your face when you came to visit me when I was younger." Yes, that seems like sound logic to me. It's not like Batman covers 90% of his fucking face.

"You should use your real name, Robin."
I was so close to standing up and yelling "BULLSHIT!".

Korsgaard

Aug 9, 2013
I'm amazed you only picked 15. When I did my own 'List all the issues of Dark Knight Rises' article I was somewhere in the mid sixties. Still, solid list, and again, thrilled to see someone else not drinking the Chris Nolan Kool-Aid - Dark Knight Rises was a wretched, unholy mess of a film, and it's amazing how many people will say otherwise to their dying breath.

HannesPascal

Mar 1, 2008
You forgot about the nuclear reactor.
1) Bruce makes a fusion reactor in secret. (Kind of like someone making wmd)
2) Some russian scientist claims he can weaponize fusion into a bomb (like a thermonuclear weapon).
3) Bruce hides the reactor, because he doesn't want to make weapons, but doesn't dismantle it.
4) As a fail-safe Bruce and Morgan Freeman makes it possible to flood the entire chamber the reactor is in
but doesn't use it when bane captures it.

But other than that I agree with you that TDKR is incredibly stupid but at least it was kind of entertaining so I liked it.