Poll: 20 Year old plays Xbox and dies...

crepesack

May 20, 2008
I love how everyone's saying as long as you exercise it'll be okay. No no it's not. Even if you were the fittest person in the world and you sat there for a long duration of time it will increase drastically the likelihood of getting a blood clot. You may not have gotten it but assuming just because you haven't gotten it is like assuming that you can't get struck by lightening when you walk around during a storm because you personally were not struck by lightening. Yes the chances are slim but sitting there motionless increases your risk of clotting regardless of your physical health. This guy just got unlucky.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Its the summer holidays, so about 8 hours a day just sitting there, doing fuck all. Its nowhere near as much when i'm in uni. But dude, chill with the whole "mandatory feature" thing, that's baseless fear mongering. Are their demands that all cars breathalyze you before you start driving every time a drunk driver hits someone? Course not. Games are no different.

(captcha: Dance to the radio, how appropriate)

Edit:

Although thinking about it, I wouldn't mind having that feature in my car. I should have used a better example

peruvianskys

Jun 8, 2011
How come you never see "Teenager drives for 14 hours, crashes and dies," or, "Teenager runs marathon for 14 hours, has heart attack and dies?" It's not really news that drastically overusing a product or engaging in an activity for about four times the recommended duration will be bad for you. But no one wants to raise awareness for those examples because it's assumed that only videogamers are far too stupid to realize that heart palpation and shortness of breath are signs that you probably should stop what you're doing.

It's obvious that games aren't meant to played that long and saying that we need to make sure gamers know that playing for 16-hour stretches is bad, well, that's a lot like saying we need to raise awareness amongst homosexuals that gay sex for 16-hour stretches is bad; first off, it uses false, prejudiced data to make it out as though the action is somehow inherently more dangerous than any other action, which it isn't, and secondly it assumes that the target group is too stupid to get the concept of moderation. It's prejudicial to want to warn gamers to not overuse their entertainment method and then afterwards just assume that the people who use equally "dangerous" entertainments are smart enough to not need the warning. Gamers aren't stupid and any kind of society or organization of non-gamers to "help them" just reeks of the stereotype that gamers are stupid and irresponsible and fat, which is of course ridiculous.

On my off-days, I play four hours or so. It's really my only gaming time; I stare at a computer all day during the workday so my eyes are too tired for gaming after my normal 8-5. Also that figure is way too low now that I've started replaying Oblivion...

Instinct Blues

Jun 8, 2008
Usually I only play for about an hour or two a day if I play at all. The only reason I'll spend more time than that playing video games is if I'm playing online with friends. I do however stop every once in a while and go outside.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
My guess is he didn't stop to masturbate. No, I'm serious. He probably didn't masturbate often enough.

But he obvious had some sort of condition. I watch those medical type shows where some people are that big they haven't moved in years.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
GamerPhate said:
captaincabbage said:
Don't worry it's not going to change anything for the industry, jumping to such rash conclusions isn't going to get us anywhere. If those sorts of assumptions were right, they would have banned the FPS after the Columbine Massacre.

Also, about 4+ hours a day on my days off, although this is split up between annoying chores like "cleaning" and "eating".
They tried to ban Doom claiming it allowed them to "plan the attacks". However, on that note, look up the Columbine RPG and beat it, then post here again.
I know they tried to ban it, but they didn't, and there stands my point.

Yeah, I've seen the Columbine RPG. I found it painfully distasteful whichever way I looked at it.

the spud

May 2, 2011
Luckilly, my grape sized bladder should protect me from harm.

I have to break for a piss, like, every half an hour.

It is my gift, my curse.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
OpticalJunction said:
Wow, poor guy. 20 is too young to die. Sit stand/treadmill desks are a possible answer, a way of countering the apparently horrible effects of sitting on your ass all day. A set up like this could have saved his life:

That's got to seriously fuck up a persons walking/running style. Humans weren't exactly made to do steady typing while on the move.

Hitokiri_Gensai

Jul 17, 2010
look i feel bad for the parents but you know what, if you game so long that you die from it, you were asking for it. Seriously.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
GamerPhate said:
Yeah I know I got you with the tag line, but this is true. Evidently this guy got a blood clot from sitting in the same spot for X amount of hours straight playing Xbox (no pun intended). I don't know what the weight of the guy is, but I am betting he wasn't a budding crystal of fitness. But the kicker is that his family is trying to raise awareness of this issue, but I guess can't sue since there is a warning in many games to "take a break" every once in a while. Be afraid, this is going to change things, perhaps they push for a manditory feature in games that turn themselves off after 4 hours of gameplay or something. Here is the article for your digestion.

http://blog.games.yahoo.com/blog/866-xbox-addict-dies-from-blood-clot/
This is the one your looking for, http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ng-his-Xbox-for-up-to-12-hours-at-a-time.html.

He doesn't look that fat, looks like a lack of hygiene though (although, I think everybody looks scruffy with a beard).

If your sat for that long that you can get DVT then your asking for DVT, it's like working around asbestos with no PPE and expecting not to get lung cancer.

Maybe it will raise a bit of awareness that you should get off your ass and go for a walk, rather than sit down all day and stare at a screen. It won't effect games though.

iblis666

Sep 8, 2008
this kid forgot that he needed variety, for instance i like to go down stairs and watch tv while playing my psp, then go upstairs after it runs low of power to play my computer while i use netflix on my xbox, then when its late use my laptop while in bed until i fall asleep