Poll: 2011 GOTY?

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
John Funk said:
That depends on if Diablo 3 is coming out this year or not.
We all want it NOW. But I doubt it'll be out even in 2013.

Uhh. Mass Effect 3 must be really godlike to beat Portal 2.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
*checks calender* It's been 4 months, the year is a third over. The hell is wrong with you?

Seriously, its early to be counting your chickens wait a bit for the year to play itself out before declaring winners.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
ciortas1 said:
Kadoodle said:
Portal 2 is running strong with a chain of positive reviews.

Many people are mentioning Skyrim; I warn you all with a riddle: What did Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas have in common that the latter suffered worst?
A shitty inventory system? Clunky combat? Horrid animations? Unkillable children? The conversation system?
I was going to say shitty writing, but New Vegas was pretty good at that (also not made by the same company).

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Zing said:
Mikeyfell said:
GTA Vice City was fun. I exclude it from my incoming Rockstar bash.

The problem I have with Rockstar is moving around in their games.
A sandbox game is about getting from point A to point B, you spend maybe half or your time in transit. walking in a strait line is hard. Running in a strait line is harder. Sprinting in a strait line is impossible because you have to tap the A button and hold the stick forward while avoiding curbs and lamp posts and gum wrappers that people left on the floor. because hitting any of those will stop you cold in your tracks. Driving is even harder because they're all top heavy and fish tail somebody buttered the back tires.

The specific problems I had with GTA 4 were the story and the cellphone/Email mechanic. The story is too serious to take 20 minute brakes to go grief NPC's and you'll constantly have to answer a text message or reply to an Email or something just a mind-numbingly tedious that I don't even do that shit in real life. GTA 4 is the second worst game I've ever played

Red Dead Redemption was okay. it would have been better if they took out all those horse rides and insta-kill cougars because just like GTA getting from A to B is a pain in the ass.
Also nothing you could do in the sandbox part of RDR had any point what so ever. So Rockstar games give you no intensive to sandbox. They're both frustrating and pointless.

Long story short if Rockstar makes moving around not a pain in the ass L.A. Noire might be awesome.

Both GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption had simple easy methods of instant travel that made the game flow easily if you just wished to get from point A to point B. GTAIV had the taxi service which would instantly transport you to your destination, RDR had the campfire system which you could set up anywhere and instant travel to your destination.

Personally, I find those methods immersion breaking, but they definitely exist and you can't fault Rockstar for you not using them.

I constantly hear about the phone and email service in GTAIV, but I never had an issue with it. I simply ignored calls, it didn't affect the game if you were off mission and just shitting around.

But either way your main qualm seems to be with having to travel extensively, which in reality, you didn't have to do it at all.
They are immersion breaking and that's why I don't like them either. And while I can't fault Rockstar for my not using the fast travel system I can fault them for making the alternative literally painful.

You can't have played many games for GTAIV to be the "second worst game you've ever played".
I've heard this so fucking much
"As far as I can tell you've only played one game if Modern Warfare is the worst game you've played."
"How many games have you played?"
"You liked Mirror's Edge better than GTA 4?"
"Go play Kane and Lynch 2."
"Gears of War isn't worse than Final Fantasy 13!!!"

And, frankly, I'm sick of it.

I've played Kane and Lynch 2, I've played Wet, I've played Too Human.
and I can point at any of those and say "This is a prime example of inside the box thinking failing."
Every one of those games that are dismal on every conceivable level makes the chances for innovation go up.
Something like Gears of War comes out and does Third Person Cover Based Shooting well.
It has no originality, no spark that the designers had any motive besides making money, inevitably some sort of multyplayer focus, and it makes money.

With no incentive to change anything they release the same game again and call it "Gears of War 2". It's just a cash grab and people flock to their game retailers to pick it up on day one.

Over rated is worse than bad because it encourages imitation.
I want to see something I've never seen before. But if Call of Duty keeps making money I will keep getting Call of Duty clones.

Look at the games available this console generation and list all the ones that can't be described as "A sequel to X" or "A clone of X" .

You're down to Mirror's Edge and Portal.
And Indy games but for the most part they don't make enough money impact the industry.

Minecraft is not an original game idea.

Wikipedia said:
Infiniminer heavily influenced the style of gameplay that eventually resulted in Minecraft

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
Levi93 said:
Mikeyfell said:
I never really had a problem with the movment systems in any of Rockstars games, my only real problem was that if you were to run into a wall the running and imation would continue breaking the immersion, other than that I actually think the movement systems in GTAIV and Red Dead Redemption mainly cause of the inclusion of the Euphoria engine (excluding Vice City and San andreas 'cause they dont use Euphoria), I know a lot of people don't like the Euphoria engine but I really really can't see why, I've had hours of fun playing around with the trial version of the engine.

Although the phone and E-mail mechanic in GTAIV were really annoying.

As for Fallout New Vegas, yeah Obsidian made the game but Bethesda published it, the only thing that Bethesda did was give Obsidian the Gamebyro engine to make the game with.

Oh and Obsidian have a pretty bad history for releasing buggy games although I never relly found it difficult playing as anything but melee tank pre-patch before a lot of the bugs were fixed.

But overall I found New Vegas too be less linear than Fallout 3, mainly cause there were more minigames, missions, weapons and (IMO) a more interesting setting than Fallout 3, not to say fallout 3 is bad though, it was really good.

The only thing that I really didnt like in New Vegas was how the game started, the amnesia episode of Extra Credits nails this one perfectly, it's a pretty in depth RPG where we build a character how we want him/her to be, yet we are left without a back story, we are just plonked into the world, this is okay with games like Minecraft where there is no story, you pretty much craft your own(excuse the pun) but it just doesn't work in New Vegas where we have a pre-determined and really fleshed out story.
If Bethesda's making Skyrim I'll probably be happy with it
And If L.A. Noire doesn't use the Euphoria engine I'll probably be happy with it
And if Pigs fly I'll eat a bacon wing for breakfast.

We're only a quarter of the way through the year we shouldn't even be talking about game of the year like this yet.

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
In all honesty, it will probably be an RPG. Either Skyrim or Mass Effect 3 being the top 2 contenders. I have high hopes for The Last Guardian, but lowered hopes that it will actually get nominated. I haven't played Portal 2, but I like what it stands for within the industry, and would be behind it getting the award. I also would like to see Catherine do well, for similar reasons that I like what Portal stands for in the industry. It would be nice to see something that doesn't epitomize the triple A game industry win the award for once.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Its a toughie.

I take portal 2 out of the race automatically.

So its either skyrim, ME3, and maybe diablo if it comes out this year.

God damn this is tough.

Ehhhhhh

Fuck it cant decide.

I officially cast my vote for no one because skyrim and ME3 are tied in my mind

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Kadoodle said:
Portal 2 is running strong with a chain of positive reviews.

Many people are mentioning Skyrim; I warn you all with a riddle: What did Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Fallout New Vegas have in common that the latter suffered worst?
BUGS!!! Now wheres my cookie?

On a note, this IS a new engine since they finally figured out the engine they were using was crap for open worlders