Poll: 2014: The year of overhyped duds.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Dragon Age Inquisition.

I'm sure it's a fine game but I can't force myself through the boredom (Hinterlands) to get to where the fun supposedly starts. It's a shame too..I want to know what happens and I want to experience the dialogue but I can't force myself through the game play.

Dragon Age meets Elder Scrolls is a great idea for a lot of people but I was hoping for a more focused experience. I was also counting on a combat system as fun or better than D2. What we got instead was passable while being horrid by comparison.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
I thought this was a very good year for gaming, personally. A lot of games I've been waiting for.

Anyways, I voted for Murdered: Soul Suspect. It wasn't really hyped all that much but it was my biggest disappointment. It seemed from the previews like a really cool sort of modern adventure game. And then they half-assed that aspect and shoehorned in the demon sequences.

small

Aug 5, 2014
Fappy said:
Wasteland 2 was the only game I bought that disappointed me this year. In fact, many games exceeded my expectations this year; namely Hyrule Warriors and Dragon Age. I had 0 expectations for DA:I, so I was pleasantly surprised it turned out as well as it did.
im really curious about what disappointed you about wasteland 2. for me it was exactly what i was expecting it to be like.

As for the question.. i cant really say i was that disappointed this year with games i personally, there were games i could see needed definite improvement but nothing outright disappointing, i even found watch dogs had some interesting moments for me and i loved exploring the city.

i like dragon age inquisition but it has some major issues and would be the closest to disappointment ive had this year, it realy doesnt like nvidia video cards (took me the last week of fiddling and searching obscure forum posts to get the damn thing to run in a stable manner), not being able to simply click on something and get my character to go to it and interact is annoying, the controls are clearing designed by someone who only plays console games who thinks that would make good keyboard and mouse controls, and no auto attacks or AI tactics are serious oversights

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
Plenty of choices this year mainly because it seems a fair few publishers were more interested in hyping the hell out of games instead of spending money and time to polish them.
Watch_Dogs - didn't really revolutionize OW games, downgraded from what was shown originally.
MCC - Online still doesn't work
AC:U - Well it's another Ubisoft dud this year. I guess some people might have had high hopes for this game, kind of expect Ubi to fail at this point.
Destiny - I could tell you what's wrong with Destiny but I don't have time to explain
DA:I(PC) - How little work actually went into porting this to the PC. Some basic functions just completely missing for people who bought DA:O on PC 5 years ago to see Bioware completely abandon the fan base that made DA:O such a hit is disappointing to say the least.

Personally my pick is
Beyond Earth - I expected a lot more it appears Firaxis seem unable to learn the lessons from Civ 5's launch. Honestly there are expansions and modes that get more play from me than Beyond Earth. I still hope it would eventually be fixed like Civ 5, this should teach me never to buy a Firaxis game until a few expansions are made.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Quite a few games were duds for me. Watch_Dogs got very boring after five hours, Dragon Age: Inquisition has still not grabbed my attention yet, and Destiny is just meh. This year has been quite the let down for me.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
I don't know about you guys, but I had a great year. Maybe because the only games I was hyped for was Smash Bros. and Bayonetta.

It was a good year to be a Wii U owner.

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 15, 2012
I don't know if a game ever lives up to its hype, I certainly can't remember any. Even the much vaunted SMB3 when I was 4 or so, which had a whole movie to show a short commercial of it <_<.

From what I've played there:

Dead Rising 3 and Far Cry 4 are both polished up sequels. DR3 perhaps a bit moreso, as it didn't have to work on last-gen. They don't add much, but they're both based on games that really didn't need to add much. Both were more or less as expected, although the rock climbing in FC4 was certainly overplayed in the lead-up, when it amounts to designated "ladders" in game.

Driver: Hacking Edit----- I mean Watch_Dogs didn't live up to its hype, but wasn't a terrible game underneath. SP vs SP, I preferred it over obvious rival GTA5 (though not over SR3 or 4). The potential is there to possibly expand the gameplay in the sequel, which I'll probably keep an eye on. And hopefully they decide whether the protagonist is supposed to be sympathetic or not, and don't have him flipflop all over.

I missed (ignored?) the hype of Destiny, and probably came better off for it. Its the smoothest shooter I've played all year, but yeah, they've kind of fallen flat on the "Shared World" mechanics a lot. Various rumors seem to credit internal strife for why the story is a bit buggered. Although their's a reasonable story there, it suffers more from lack of characters to play off.

COD:AW is... well, Call of Duty. Its not any worse or better then the other 3 or 4 I've played. The EXO suits are nothing especially unique to those of who've played less "realism" centred shooters before.

Murdered: Soul Suspect is the main one that effectively disappointed me. It takes very little time to just drop straight into bland generic third-person vaguely stealth, not really puzzle gaming right off the bat. None of the characters are very interesting, and the story wobbles between cliche and boring. Inconsistent mechanics (as tend to come up whenever you try and have a character who can fly/teleport/walk through walls crammed into smaller levels) start to become frustrating quickly.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
I'm having trouble picking a game from your list that wasn't disappointing. If everything disappoints, the title of most disappointing doesn't mean much.

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
funnily enough I knew these were all duds and warned people on news posts not to buy these games. Guess the jokes on all of you fools who got theses games.

Papadam

Apr 9, 2009
2014 was a great year and not disappointing at all. Maybe for people who overhype stuff like crazy.

I'm actually impressed that all the big publishers relased big games with new IPs (Titanfall, Watchdogs and Destiny) and the were all good and big risks for their publishers. It's hard to release a new AAA IP and some peoples expectations for them are just crazy.

Lots of great games for me both AAA (shadow of Mordor and Driveclub) + lots of smaller games.

Adultratedhydra

Aug 19, 2010
Tactfully omits Buggy age:Bugquisition off the list.

If i wanted to play a Fantasy Football simulator with a shallow combat/Skill system I'd stick to Blood Bowl.

CannibalCorpses

Aug 21, 2011
It's been a terrible year...hardly played anything that made me think 'this is good'. It's to be expected though when new consoles come out...

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
I don't regard Assassin'c Creed Unity as a dud or bad game per se.
I just regard it as broken.
I have a sneaking suspicion that once they FINALLY manage to fix it, it'll actually be a really solid game.
To me, that reads as an inherent Ubisoft problem moreso than a game problem.

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
babinro said:
Dragon Age Inquisition.

I'm sure it's a fine game but I can't force myself through the boredom (Hinterlands) to get to where the fun supposedly starts. It's a shame too..I want to know what happens and I want to experience the dialogue but I can't force myself through the game play.

Dragon Age meets Elder Scrolls is a great idea for a lot of people but I was hoping for a more focused experience. I was also counting on a combat system as fun or better than D2. What we got instead was passable while being horrid by comparison.
I did force myself through the boredom, and trust me, there's more where that came from. The endless motherf***ing trodding from place to place actually drained some of my passion for playing games. The mount that seemed only slightly faster than my jogging speed did not help matters.

The tragedy is, in between all the endless faffing about there are grade A bioware moments, but all the tedium really takes the shine off. Also it is pretty fricken hilarious that they decide to rip off Skyrim and completely miss the part about mod friendliness. Urgh.

OT: I voted Watch_dogs. While it was a bloody chore, I at least managed to finish DA:I to the end. Watch_dogs story of Aden _Bland_ Pierce was so boring and generic that I just could not bring myself to finish it. Just read the plot from wikipedia, watched some videos off youtube and uninstalled the game.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Well, considering I haven't touched any of the ones above, I'll have to make do with Legend of Korra by Platinum Games. Even though it was a licensed game, I considered the fact that Platinum was involved to be a free guarantee that it would be awesome. It was an ok beat em up, but it was probably the most unpolished thing Platinum has ever made. It badly needed more enemy variety, and the counter system was pretty much the only thing keeping it interesting. Clearly it wasn't a high-priority project for them.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
sageoftruth said:
Well, considering I haven't touched any of the ones above, I'll have to make do with Legend of Korra by Platinum Games. Even though it was a licensed game, I considered the fact that Platinum was involved to be a free guarantee that it would be awesome. It was an ok beat em up, but it was probably the most unpolished thing Platinum has ever made. It badly needed more enemy variety, and the counter system was pretty much the only thing keeping it interesting. Clearly it wasn't a high-priority project for them.
Methinks it was underfunded and made in a rush.
I'm actually playing it right now and having a blast, but yea, it's a bit short and the enemy variety is definitely lacking.

marioandsonic

Nov 28, 2009
At first, I was wondering why Sonic Boom wasn't on here, but then again, being disappointed at a Sonic game being bad at this point is like criticizing a beaten-to-death corpse for not giving me a piggyback ride. Plus, I didn't buy it, so hey.

As for what's on this list, I actually didn't buy anything on here either, lol.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Watch_Dogs seemed like it would go nowhere from early on to me, meanwhile Destiny actually looked like it could be something special, especially with Bungie developing it.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Batou667 said:
Wait, wait. Wait. Assassin's Creed Unity wasn't the first game that came to mind?
I call the series as a whole 'Assassin's Crud' myself...