Poll: 2015, The end of The Escapist?

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
major_chaos said:
IceForce said:
The ship might also be taking on wate-...

NO, NO. EVERYTHING'S FINE.
Just because you want the site to die for not making certain opinions bannable doesn't mean its happening.
Umm, citation needed?

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
Not in the slightest. Sure, some absolutely stellar contributors are no longer working with the site but they aren't the only content-makers on the internet. All that will happen is The Escapist will find some other talented folk to fill the empty slots.

The site isn't dead. It isn't even dying. It's not a shell of what it used to be. It's just changing, no more, no less. Every single time someone leaves the forums fill with doomsayers calling the end of times and every single time they're wrong.

Basically, chill :) Go find and follow Jim, MovieBob and Miracle of Sound on their respective sites and then come back here and relax and wait for new content providers to arrive and present something to you. And, don't forget to give them a chance. Remember, Jim's first few Jimquisitions weren't that good and by the time he left his show was one of the best on the site.

JustAnotherAardvark

Feb 19, 2015
TopazFusion said:

Quick everyone, I think it's time to assemble for the coming rapture. Hope you've all packed your bug-out bags!
Raptures confused me.
Is this a "we keep our pants" rapture or an "everyone's pants just kinda ... lay there on the sidewalk, to freak everyone out" rapture?

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
JustAnotherAardvark said:
TopazFusion said:

Quick everyone, I think it's time to assemble for the coming rapture. Hope you've all packed your bug-out bags!
Raptures confused me.
Is this a "we keep our pants" rapture or an "everyone's pants just kinda ... lay there on the sidewalk, to freak everyone out" rapture?
I think we should all just take our pants off.

Just to be safe.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Nah.

It won't end. At least not that soon.

It'll shamble along for a while yet, moaning piteously about ethics and feminism, clawing at it's eyes and eating week-old roadkill.

But it won't disappear just yet.

Ambient_Malice

Sep 22, 2014
ESCAPIST IS FOREVER.

Perfect Dark ends with PERFECT DARK IS FOREVER.

Rare cannot be killed no matter how many people they fire.

Joanna Dark has dark red hair.

Escapist hires two redheads.

The meaning will be clear if you huff this bong and ingest the greyish-green liquid inside this cracked soda bottle.

Jan 12, 2012
tilmoph said:
Nope. We're gonna lose some users, gain some new ones, lose some content, gain some content, and eventually things will settle down and some kind of balance will be restored again. Right now it seems a lot more up in the air since we're in the shifting stage of the cycle, but the Escapist won't die. Hell, even the current shitflingy, hostile mood is only really in Off-Topic and R&P, and OT will calm down sometime in the next week or two, providing nobody does anything or digs up anything to get any other factions all war blooded. There just won't be any fuel left. The Gaming forum is still about gaming, and is pretty damn civil and drama free. That'll spread to the other boards eventually.

For myself, already renewed pubclub, still have it set to auto renew, and have seen nothing to make me change that.
I hope you're right about Off-Topic settling; it seems like things will only get worse for the next few weeks when the new people actually start working here and people can rip into them for what they are actually producing as content, rather than scrounging up tweets and using them to predict the death of everything holy and good in this world.

OT: No, the site will keep chugging along, I hope. I'm going to miss some of the content providers, but they're already taking steps to get new people, and I trust that they'll be up to the Escapist's standards. I remember people getting all up in arms over EC leaving, and I remember that we recently had a surge of content on a weekly schedule, so it seems likely that we'll be back to normal production in a few months.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Is The Escapist closing down its forums?
No?
I think we'll be fine then.

mjharper

Can
Apr 28, 2013
Not to be melodramatic, but it's basically dead to me. I subscribed because I found I was hanging out here all the time, with all the great content. But in the last six months or so, we've lost, what, Susan, Greg, Gav, Lisa, Jim, Bob, and now Robert.

Maybe more content will come. But most of the reasons I had for being here are gone.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Can the site survive without Moviebob, Miracle of Sound and Jim Sterling? To someone who predates all of that content, that really does sound like a slightly daft question. There's a whole plethora of awesome content that we've lost (There Will Be Brawl, Doomsday Arcade, Unforgotten Realms, Rebecca Mayes, Extra Credits...), but we're still here.

That said, I think Moviebob's probably the biggest loss so far if only because he contributed a lot and was here for what, five and a half years? The Escapist is going to need new content eventually, but we'll survive without for a while- Bear in mind that The Escapist has been around since 2005 and weathered much worse.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Its a change, but not the end. Escapist was around before all of those people you mentioned and it will exist after. The question is only where it will go.

Dragonbums said:
I mean, I suppooooooooooose the Escapist still has the forums, which bolsters a moderately healthy regular user demographic. If worse comes to worse though they would probably just drop down to Polygon levels of activity.
im glad somone mentioned the forums. my story is quite simple: came for yatzee, stayed for the forums. i think the forums are the most valuable part of this site.

mjharper said:
Not to be melodramatic, but it's basically dead to me. I subscribed because I found I was hanging out here all the time, with all the great content. But in the last six months or so, we've lost, what, Susan, Greg, Gav, Lisa, Jim, Bob, and now Robert.

Maybe more content will come. But most of the reasons I had for being here are gone.
Thats unfair. Susan has left over a year ago now and Lisa only returned for a few episodes and everyone knew that. The only three in that list that left within 6 months is Jim, Bob and Gav, and Jim left before this all started.

Capcha: rodents of unusual size

Yes, we got those. hopefully they leave.

Tohuvabohu

Not entirely serious, maybe.
Mar 24, 2011
I doubt it. There's more content on the way too, and this site has gone through shifts in it's content before. I'm pretty excited to see what will come next. Until we see what happens next, all we can really do is guess.

Bizzaro Stormy

Oct 19, 2011
So long as there are people to cry when someone questions their favorite contributors, their sociopolitical views, when someone leaves amicably, when someone leaves not so amicably, when someone is hired, when a list article is written not containing the items they expected, when they act surprised for getting a warning about questioning the mods, so long as they can scream about intolerance because someone has a different point of view, so long as these and the exact opposite viewpoints exist and are posted about the Escapist shall live on! Unless of course the money dries up. That would kill it pretty fast.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Looks like they're realigning their content creators to be less antagonistic towards gamers.

This isn't a bad course of action for a site whose consumers are gamers to take. And not the bullshit redefinition of gamer that Leigh Alexander tried to pull. The actual definition we use when we call ourselves that to indicate our passion for the medium.

Rufio's Ghost

Oct 2, 2012
DOOM GUY said:
Nah, I don't really believe so, hell, I'm actually kinda liking it more around here as well.
Wait... You don't predict utter annihilation? No forecasts of our inevitable demise? No doom and gloom from DOOM GUY?!

I'm not angry DOOM GUY, just disappointed.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
major_chaos said:
IceForce said:
Umm, citation needed?
Your post history of venomous condescending snipe-y hostility towards those who disagree with you, begging the mods to close the megathread and stop GG discussion, and your almost gleeful doomsaying and mockery of the site and its management.

Why do you even stick around? You clearly think half the users here are morons and the site is DOOOOOMED, so what keeps you here?
Well, if we are going to start commenting on people's post history, you have been rather aggressively negative when I see you post. I'm all for careful pessimism, but you seem to take it further than what seems fair. I don't think what you read into Iceforce's comment was a fair assumption at all.

Nukey

Elite Member
Apr 24, 2009
No.

The site lost good people before (Extra Credits being among my favorites) and will continue to do so but, at the same time, replace them. Content creators come and go.

Hoplon

Jabbering Fool
Mar 31, 2010
Nukey said:
No.

The site lost good people before (Extra Credits being among my favorites) and will continue to do so but, at the same time, replace them. Content creators come and go.
They tend not to all go at once though. slow attrition and then accretion is to be expected, mass departures? DANGER WILL ROBINSON!

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
No.

BUT, while we all love Yahtzee, you can't deny that if he were to leave this place would quickly become a ghost town. With this in mind, I think the Escapist needs more quality content. A few years ago stuff like Unforgotten Realms is what anchored me to this site, and I think we need more stuff like that. Not necessarily animation, but something consistently entertaining every week, and right now the only things that do this for me is ZP and Critical Miss.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Nukey said:
No.

The site has lost people before, but its never lost this many big contributors and staff in such a short period of time, just because they can replace the content doesn't automatically mean it will be as well liked or as popular as the lost content. There's also the matter that with their parent company, Defy media, doing some downsizing recently, they might not have the money to bring in content to replace all the lost contributors, resulting in a net decrease in the level of content.

It's still way too early to make such calls, but just because the site has lost and replaced contributors in the past doesn't mean there isn't a breaking point where they either lose too much money or can't replace their lost contributors with high enough quality successors.