Poll: 61 Percent of Britons Believe Games Cause Violence

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
The Poll is worded really badly, it's asking whether the person thinks video games CAN lead to real world violence AND aggression, so basically it's asking two things at once, and not only that it's not saying video games DO lead to real world violence, which would be a much more concrete question hence it's copping out by saying CAN as that can pretty much mean anything, so those people who might have said no to violence alone might have said yes because of the AND aggression part, which let's face it pretty much every gamer has become frustrated/aggressive at some point whilst gaming, and it's likely parents have seen this with their kids too, but the aggression is more likely to be as a result of losing/playing a competition game rather than the game itself, as any activity that is hard or where one can lose can be frustrating if it doesn't go your way.

Which is something I think many parents fail to realize when they see their kids losing their tempers, or that they get annoyed when interrupted, well yeah how about I come and interrupt you while you watch your favourite T.V program or when you're trying to concentrate on a hard task, and we'll see how calm and collected you remain.

And seriously who's answering these polls? People who aren't fast enough to run or away or those who are so bored that they'll willing do them? I.e old people?

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
MCerberus said:
Can we all agree, fifty years from now to look back at what's going on here and not complain about kids and their holophonic mind links?
What? But don't you understand just how bad those holophonic mind links can be? I mean that's why I've never bothered with them. I just knew they were dangerous to your mental health and well being. All the kids use them, though. Is it any wonder that the world is so much more violent, today, despite a steady decrease in all violent crime as stated by organizations such as the FBI? I know what's really going on. I watch news stories that only give me the most basic, usually misinformed data. Don't say I didn't warn you.

The end times are near. Soon, Mega-Jesus will return to take us all away to Valhalla before the Super Devil visits his wrath upon the world. Trust me on that one.

Friis

Feb 6, 2009
The British legal system also says that only men are capable of committing rape, so I hardly trust the British on serious issues.

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
Misleading poll is misleading. How many people took the survey? How many answered with "I don't know"? Clearly the results have been deliberately skewed by leaving out all the relevent numbers, which means it loses all credibility.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Johnson McGee said:
This survey isn't worded very well.
Jamieson 90 said:
The Poll is worded really badly..
I'd argue the poll was perfectly worded, actually - in order to get the exact response the poller was after. Allow Sir Humphrey Appleby to explain:

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Question is misleading.
I would have voted yes on it, anything could theoretically be a precursor to violent or aggressive behaviour.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
I scrolled up and yes there it was this evil cat Andy Chalk. i can recognize you by your style now good sir.
Its no secret the older the more likely disliking games they are, but we got some statistics now at least.
but they are sort of meaningless. you know, more than 60% of americans believe NASA is the biggest part of USA budget.....

MCerberus said:
Can we all agree, fifty years from now to look back at what's going on here and not complain about kids and their holophonic mind links?
No, we cant, because we already complain about kids these days, selling kidneys for ipads, with their lack fo attention spans playing a 5 minute throw away games, on gimmickly consoles and pretending to be hip. imagine us 50 years later?

Britisheagle said:
Probably the same assholes who don't abide by the rating system of games..

I had a customer today in work purchase GTA for a 5 year old. FIVE. I am sorry, no matter what side of the fence you sit, that is messed up.
There is a reason rating system is a suggestion and not a law.

Adam Jensen said:
So at least 61% of Britons are irrational and illogical and have no idea what the words correlation and causation mean. It's sad.
while this is far from a real equivalance, if a survey showed that only 61% of Britons are irrationa and illogical it would be a cause for celebbration. and you can substitute any country for Britons.

mad825 said:
61% of Britons Believe Games Cause Violence - says sample size of 7.

I know that there were more people but 2000 people don't speak for the millions. My home county, nay, my small town that I live in has more than 2000 people .
Such organizations like world heath organization and OECD consider a sample of 1000 for small and 2000 for large (and 5000 for very large) countries to be a representative sample.
Iti s unreasonable to expect a survey to be done with millions at any reasonable budget. The population Census that countries can only afford every 5 years costs billions.

Icehearted said:
Playing Cooking Mama made me a mama.
BUt it taught you how to cook! how dare they ruin our kids and allow them to cook for themselves!

FoxKitsune

Jun 23, 2012
My mother would have been among one of the `games cause violence` crowd` had she taken the census, and that's despite having two sons currently playing GTAV. Two sons who, despite having the rest of the GTA's under our belt too, have not yet gone on a rampage.

I say yet, because this survey is of course science. I suppose it's only a matter of time!

The results here don't surprise me at all. The problem is our country has become increasingly violent, and there are areas where people tend to be scared to go out at night. My area's not a bad one, and I'm nervous after dark too. What's more, it's always the same thing you worry about, `kids`, teenagers with an attitude and little sense. I suppose the logic train goes that teenagers are and kids are getting dangerous, teenagers and kids play games; ergo, games cause violence.

Barciad

Apr 23, 2008
Chimpzy said:
In other news, 61% of Britons are naive, gullible sops who will believe everything they're told.
Have you ever seen the 'news' that we are subjected to? I would say that stuff like 'The Sun' and 'The Daily Mail' are as bad as anything Fox churns out, but that is a whole new argument.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Friis said:
The British legal system also says that only men are capable of committing rape, so I hardly trust the British on serious issues.
You could literally name any stupid thing ANY country does to dismiss all opinions from all of the untold millions of people from that country. These people might be wrong but its not because one of our laws is utterly stupid. Thats just rediculous.

The poll only asked 2000 people. It TOTALLY disregarded those who voted "I dont know" and DIDNT include them at all so 61% might be only 10%. The question said videogames CAN cause violence rather than DOES cause violence. And personally if i think about it i think thats true. I think there are SOME individuals who might become violent from playing games (mostly through frustration at the game but i guess thats not what they are asking) even if these people are a tiny tiny minority of people. Its a poorly worded question, with a small sample size that only displays a few of the answers available. Not to mention we are all ignoring the graph RIGHT next to it where it says "Video games CAN help people".

So the questions were "Can videogames make a person more violent in some cases and at the same times can video games help people release their violence in some cases". The answer to both is obviously yes. Video games probably CAN cause ALL sorts of reactions in a wide range of people. I mean we have all seen angry german kid. He got angry because he was denied video games. Ergo by some definitions video games made him angry. The question needs to be worded more precisely.

Desert Punk said:
Gee, a majority of people who thought a nanny government was a good idea think that games can cause violence?

Color me unsurprised, Britain is a joke.
Some people will so desperately claw at any reason to feel superior or mock another nation. This thread is basically click bait for those who can now smugly express their superiority and feel justified or people who read this and say "Wow this is spun pretty oddly".

Subscriptism

May 5, 2012
Thanks to the mass media and the BBC for broadcasting what people "reckon" without any data to back it up.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Chimpzy said:
In other news, 61% of Britons are naive, gullible sops who will believe everything they're told.
That's not even true. The data on this survey is being reported very sloppily; it's 61% of the people who had an opinion on the matter, and then only those who actually went to vote on that website. Plus, they lumped violence and aggression together, which are two very different things. Nothing really to give shits about.

OT: It's ok, though. Let's all collectively keep missing the point, and things will sort themselves out eventually.

Mr_Spanky

Jun 1, 2012
Teoes said:
Johnson McGee said:
This survey isn't worded very well.
Jamieson 90 said:
The Poll is worded really badly..
I'd argue the poll was perfectly worded, actually - in order to get the exact response the poller was after. Allow Sir Humphrey Appleby to explain:
This deserves repeating x1000. Honestly it's so easy to pick up and manipulate statistics that it's impossible to be sure how representative they truly are. That old, OLD saying about lies, damned lies and statistics anyone?

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
People fear what they do not know or understand. This really isn't surprising, but I have good hopes it will change over time.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Evil Smurf said:
Hey, fuck them. I MURDERED HOOKERS BEFORE GTA.
Damn, you're so old school. You were doing it before it was cool. Are you working on bringing it back round to being underground and hipster again?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
So at least 61% of Britons are irrational and illogical and have no idea what the words correlation and causation mean. It's sad.
Not really 61% of all Britons. Just a small handful. I mean, there are millions of us. I fail to see this statistic representing an entire country, even one as small as the UK.

But, yeah, it's pretty grim. The good news is that, with time, these people should fade out.