Poll: A game against camping

aprildog18

Feb 16, 2010
Camping is fine. The people who camp (not all campers) with sniper rifles can be useless to the team though. Camp more than 500 meters away from objective, get around 1 kill every 10 minutes and joins an attacking squad (to probably make the team lose or something). If you can't help the team out effectively, then move in a bit. If that doesn't help, well, sniping may not be for you.

I have no problem if the other team camp, since if it is not exploiting something and allowed in the game, then it should be okay.

I don't like spawncamping though, unless the game gives you 5 second invincibility if you spawn at your base.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Uhh...I play multiplayer online...of games that are not shooters. I feel I am not included in this thread.

Why is it that multiplayer somehow has come to mean "FPS onilne"? What about fighting games or sports or racing games? Hell, the biggest multiplayer game in the world is an RPG. (WoW)

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Shpongled said:
Phoenixmgs said:
There's nothing wrong with spawn camping, it's your team's fault for letting the other team push up to your spawn...
It might be your teams fault, but it isn't your fault personally, considering the vast majority of online gaming is random people on random teams. Spawn camping when the entire team is getting destroyed at their base is lame, but it's an inevitable result of team imbalance. Usually games account for this with team scrambles, and if not it's not a problem anyway because everyone on the losing side will leave and in a couple of games time the influx of new players will have balanced things out.
That's another problem with modern online gaming. The shooters themselves keep devolving and the online features keeps devolving (Hell, in MW3, you have to pay $$$ for real clan support, it's a joke). Stupid matchmaking causes teams to almost always be unbalanced. The game has no way to determine skill as you level up by experience only; therefore, the game can't make even teams if it has no way to determine player skill. If online gaming would move back to room systems instead of matchmaking (or you can have both like Metal Gear Online), then you could join newb rooms if you are a new player, join the high level rooms if you a pro at the game, and you have rooms for in-between players as well.

The bullshit spawn campers are the ones who come into the enemy base regardless of where the front lines are, steal a tank and sit there waiting for people to spawn. It's just lame tactics and i have no sympathy for people practicing this behaviour being kicked.
You shouldn't let a tank into your spawn or let someone steal your team's tank. If someone does, you simply just need to RPG it or have air support take care of it. I played Warhawk quite a lot, and a person spawn camping with a tank was easily dispatched.

Really though it depends how you define camping. I myself am probably guilty of camping to a lot of guys on this forum. I'll rarely sit in one place for that long, but i'll happily hole up in a house or building or whatever structure and hold it for a while, i don't really feel that this is particularly lame because i can still be outplayed and killed by anyone who wants to try, there will always be plenty of ways to clear me out. That and i'm actively searching out kills from people outside, rather than sitting in a corner and waiting for the kills to come to me.

The lame style of camping to me are the people who literally sit in one corner of a room, waiting for someone to come through the door so they can be shot in the back time and time again. It's lame and i have plenty of contempt for these sorts of people, but i've never played a game where i've felt that i'm powerless to stop them, usually i can just go through a different door, use a grenade, use a bit of teamwork, or just ignore them entirely
Camping is just someone camping a spot just for kills only and ignoring the objective point, and going like 5-1 and not being in the action at all. Playing defense is legit camping, people need to play defense at the objective point to stop the other team from taking it. The whole point of playing offense is finding a way overcome the other team defending the objective point. I hate campers but only campers on my team as they are only hurting our team and not helping. If people want to camp on the other team, I'm all for it, it makes it easier for my team to win.

In the end, it's up to the developer to design the game in a way that doesn't reward camping. COD's killstreaks are pretty much the absolute WRONG WAY to design an online shooter. I just don't play online shooters that are poorly designed.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
Campers are easily taken care of if the mechanics of the game allow for it. Destructable cover like Bad company 2 was pretty much the perfect way to do that. If you had someone camping you just shot a 40mm grenade into the general vacinty and lit it up. Unfortunately theres less destructable cover in Battlefield 3

With Call of duty, well the games made to cater to campers by design. Thats one of the major reasons I dont play it. The thing is developers have to want to get rid of this tactic but since the CoD developers havnt taken steps to I think they dont want to either.

Sparcrypt

Oct 17, 2007
It's fine - I don't see why people feel that the other team should move around more to make life easier for them - if I sit in a spot and the other team just continues to run around the corner allowing me to shoot them in the face I'm not moving.

The solution is to do something like throw a flash bang or come from a different angle or have 2-3 people rush at once or anything else. If nothing works the player is either just better than you or the game is unbalanced, which isn't their fault, it's the developers.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Whenever I read camping I always think of camping outside first. I would find it hilarious to play a game where I'm a park ranger and I have to kick people out for setting up tents and campers.

I don't play mulitplayer but do bullets still have trails like in some older FPSes? Just trace those to see where it came from and perhaps a bang or flash so they can't hide or if they were they have to get out of that top quickly. So it may not be as realistic to see bullets or flashes but one hit knife kills aren't either, it's there for balance.

I guess that would only work for third person, how about if you sit still too long you can't run afterwards for a little bit because your foot fell asleep. Or some other reason that's less silly.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Play TF2. There isn't a single camping spot that only has a single entry/exit.

tthor

Apr 9, 2008
What do you have against camping?! I love it! setting up tent in the woods, sitting by the fire, cooking smores, telling campfire stories, its awesome!
-Plus occasionally gunning down any noob who runs by. Then back to smores.

TomLikesGuitar

Jul 6, 2010
Spawn camping is the only bad type of camping. If you run into a room and some guy who isn't moving shoots you down, you deserve it. Why are you running around like an idiot when there are people trying to kill you?

That's just stupid.

willis888

May 18, 2010
Sparcrypt said:
It's fine - I don't see why people feel that the other team should move around more to make life easier for them - if I sit in a spot and the other team just continues to run around the corner allowing me to shoot them in the face I'm not moving.

The solution is to do something like throw a flash bang or come from a different angle or have 2-3 people rush at once or anything else. If nothing works the player is either just better than you or the game is unbalanced, which isn't their fault, it's the developers.

I agree.

Sometimes camping is the right thing to do, and especially if your opponents have local numerical superiority.

On offense, you should throw a few grenades into the chokepoints before rushing them as a team.

Defenders/campers should do their best to avoid the grenades while spamming the chokepoints with concentrated fire as a team.

It's just tactics, and "fairness" should be left up to the developers.