Poll: A question for Un-Americans.

Busard

Nov 17, 2009
Probably go to Cali, i have a lot of friends in that state, and then also go to Texas (Austin, maybe), because i'm very curious about that state and the people there.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
I'll have to say New York.... I planned a trip there a long time ago, but it never got off the planning stage :p

I've been to San Francisco and Oklahoma, both fantastic places, nicely different from each other.

New York has a sort of mystique for me, I guess... It's essentially all the fictional comic cities in one- it's Gotham, Metropolis and all the rest, plus visiting DC's offices and Marvel's would be cool...

I quite liked America when I was there. Sure, there's plenty to not like, but no more so than any other country I've been to, plus I haven't left my own in bloody aaaaages...

There are too many things I want to see/do in New York, really, but at the same time, I've got to admit to just wanting to see it, warts and all, and see if it's as frightening and awesome as my received perceptions and stories from friends have made it out to be.

GrimGrimoire

Aug 11, 2011
Considering that I visited the west coast this summer, probably New York. Though San Francisco or Seattle would be good choices if I were to revisit a city.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Stasisesque said:
Dags90 said:
Stasisesque said:
New York, New York!

I've been to a number of places in the USA, but never New York City. I live in London, so I suppose the draw for me are the similarities. I'd do Broadway, Off-Broadway, the food, ride the subway, visit Central Park, walk around in my huge-ass sunglasses and my very proper accent and pretend to be famous.
Don't forget to pretend like no one else exists. Avoid making eye contact and never smile at or initiate small talk with a stranger.
Did you miss the bit about me living in London? :p The most contact I've ever had with a stranger is elbowing them in the ribs whilst diving for a cab.
At least in London someone will apologize for elbowing you...hell, they'll apologize if you elbow them. Or have things changed in...shit, it's been a few years.

As a lifelong resident of NYC, it's not as cool as it used to be. Over the past 20-30 years local government has helped the big time landlords consolidate their hold on the city's real estate and those landlords have looted it for all that it's worth. While the city used to have a lot of interesting clubs, galleries, and shops, now it's just like any mall in the US. It's maybe good for a day, just to have some pizza & a bagel...and for you personally - to check out the MET & a show.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
San Fran.

I'd love to get to meet some of the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence... ..what? Their charity work is very impressive.

Beliyal

Big Stupid Jellyfish
Jun 7, 2010
Yellowstone. Also, Grand Canyon and Rocky Mountains. Damn you America, you have gorgeous nature. I'd visit America pretty much just for that. And maybe New York for Metropolitan Museum. Yes, I'm that annoying type that goes to other countries and spends all day in museums.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
I'm not sure if I know enough about the USA to really answer the poll, but given I'm partial to bushwalks, I think I'll put down a visit to Yellowstone for my answer.

CrazyDave DC

Apr 14, 2010
Ah man! I guess not enough people want to go to Disney World. Oh well, more churros and under-cooked turkey legs for me!

karcentric

Dec 28, 2011
New York, cause it's the centre of the universe and everything always happens there. (Or least I like to think that.)

And I like the accent.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I dunnno, where is Kat von D's tattoo studio 'cos that is the only reason I would ever step foot in that country.

From the cop-a-feel air port security to Americas love of guns and fondness to use them, I think I will never go there.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I went to NYC (and Boston) with my class in the eleventh grade. I'd love to go back and explore a bit more freely. LA and Miami also tempt me quite a bit. And outside of this list, Atlanta looks like a very cool city.

But who am I kidding, next time I leave the country will be to go to St. Petersburg. And I don't mean the one in Florida.

Deu Sex

Aug 26, 2012
New York. I keep hearing the city's supposed to be a giant apple. That sounds like quite the sight to see.

Marmal4de

Apr 4, 2010
Since I just came back from a trip to the Northeast and since I would never in my right mind consider paying to go to Florida, I'd have to say San Francisco or Hawaii. A lot of the people I met on the east coast told me I would enjoy northern California and it seems like an interesting area to visit both culturally and in terms of weather and nature. I also met a guy on a farm in Vermont who WWOOFed in hawaii for a couple of months, which struck me as something I should definitely look into adding to my list of things to do when I've saved some more money. But really, if I had the money i'd probably go to Europe or Autralia next time around.

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
EeveeElectro said:
*flails* Oh, well I didn't know! All I hear over here is 'Disneyland Florida or Disneyland Paris.'
I didn't even know until recently they had some sort of Disneyland in Tokyo too!
What's the difference between World and Land?
Well, the first Disney park created was in California, and Walt Disney called it "Disneyland." But they quickly ran into a problem in California--they ran out of space to build, and all sorts of businesses built around it to reap the tourist profits and they got locked in.

Walt decided he wanted a place to not only build a park, but he also wanted enough land to continue to expand and add on to as years passed. So, he created a bunch of little companies under fake names and bought up a bunch of land in Florida without letting on about it (because if word got out Walt Disney was buying land in Florida, the land prices would soar and other companies would buy it up as well). He ended up with a HUGE chunk of land, much of which to this day is still not used and open to expansion. He decided that the "Florida Project" was too large to be just another "Land," so he called it Walt Disney World, to emphasize its vastness and its inter-connectedness.

Because that's the cool thing about Disney World as compared to the other parks--when you travel between the parks and resorts, you never leave Disney property. Unlike Disney Land, you can go to the highest point of any park and not see any other forms of civilization. There's no WalMart, no McDonalds, none of that outside world poking through to remind you that you're in Florida. You're in the World of Disney :)

But the rest are "lands" because they aren't quite as vast. Disney World is only in Florida :)

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
I don't have much interest in ever going to the states in my life, but if I had to, I guess I'd go to Hawaii, since I like tropical islands and jungles and such.

Kermi

Elite Member
Nov 7, 2007
If I'd move to the US to live, I'd like to go to Texas or Nevada. I kind of like the combination of modern convenience and wide open spaces the American mid-west has mastered compared to Australia where everything is either overly-metropolitan or completely isolated. I'd avoid living in New York or California for these reasons.

Austin seems like a pretty nice area, and I could get an awesome house there for what a mid-range apartment would cost here in Sydney, Australia.

The only downside is I hear the people in the more southern states like Texas and Louisiana tend to be more racist than other states. Maybe I'd be better off some place like Nevada or Colorado.