Poll: A Question To Atheists

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
My parents raised me in a "religion free" environment, but it wasn't exactly atheist... so to speak. Though they did always feel that my mormon friends (I had a lot of mormon friends growing up) were part of a cult.

My parents basically didn't care about religion, my personal opinions are strongly opposed to organized religion.

TaborMallory

May 4, 2008
Wardog13 said:
original post
When I grew up, we went to church on occasion, I went to bible school, and we would say our prayers at dinner. Nothing huge.

(I don't want to sound condescending with this sentence, but here it goes.) After I grew up, I realized that religion is completely pointless.
Nowadays, I follow only the important morals and announce myself agnostic.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
I grew up in a severely religious family.
I was in the choir.
Your argument has just been made into swiss cheese, thank you for playing.
I used to be agnostic, but then I learned about the plague and holocaust

standokan

May 28, 2009
i grow up catolic and i'm happy with it, i got my baptism, communion and the last thing but i don't know how you say it in english well anyway i wasn't forced to do those things (except baptism but i was a baby then).

A Raging Emo

Apr 14, 2009
My mother is religious, my father isn't.

I, personnaly, don't think that there is some sort of super-being in the sky waiting for you when you die. I think that when you die, that's it. No more. Just... Nothingness.

XJ-0461

Mar 9, 2009
No. I think my parents were Christened when the were little, but they've never actively practised a religion, and neither me or my sister have been christened. I don't believe in any God, and never really have.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
space_oddity said:
Oh, oh, oh! I found a mistake! WW2 started when Hitler invaded Poland, not Czechoslovakia. What did I win? :D I want the blow-up washing machine!

In all seriousness now, it's nice to see someone actually knowing stuff about history, but you know what they say about arguing on the internet. It's pointless. Can't fight stupidity.

I'd just like to someday go to some renowned, atheist prof. prof. dr. dr. dr. scientist and ask him how even this intelligent people can be as naive as to believe that the wars in this world wouldn't have been faught, had there been no religion at all.
Even the fucking Crusades would have taken place. People just would have had to get other excuses for starting a war, that's it. The leaders throw in the term "religion" just to please the fundamentalists.

Edit: Oh, shit - ontopic:

My parents are from different continents, thus have different creeds, and thus decided for me and my sister to not raise us religiously - they said we should decide ourselves, but I'm agnostic. It's hard to believe in mankind but it's also hard to come up with an explanation of the fact of existence itself.

Tattaglia

Aug 12, 2008
I think my mum was Christian, my dad wasn't, and both parents didn't think that I should be forced into a religion like my grandparents did to my mother. Sounds reasonable to me, and I'm thankful for the chance to believe in whatever I want to.

TheCameraman

Jun 8, 2009
More or less my whole closest family is atheist (parents, uncle, aunt, cousins, grandparents, siblings), although none of them are especially extreme.

space_oddity

Oct 24, 2008
Gladion said:
space_oddity said:
Oh, oh, oh! I found a mistake! WW2 started when Hitler invaded Poland, not Czechoslovakia. What did I win? :D I want the blow-up washing machine!

In all seriousness now, it's nice to see someone actually knowing stuff about history, but you know what they say about arguing on the internet. It's pointless. Can't fight stupidity.

I'd just like to someday go to some renowned, atheist prof. prof. dr. dr. dr. scientist and ask him how even this intelligent people can be as naive as to believe that the wars in this world wouldn't have been faught, had there been no religion at all.
Even the fucking Crusades would have taken place. People just would have had to get other excuses for starting a war, that's it. The leaders throw in the term "religion" just to please the fundamentalists.

Edit: Oh, shit - ontopic:

My parents are from different continents, thus have different creeds, and thus decided for me and my sister to not raise us religiously - they said we should decide ourselves, but I'm agnostic. It's hard to believe in mankind but it's also hard to come up with an explanation of the fact of existence itself.
Oh fiddlesticks, what happened when they invaded Czechoslovakia then? Something important. Its been that long since school history i dont remember. (I just did a wiki check up, Czechoslovakia was the last straw, it convinced the allies shit was gonna go down)

But yes, in that context i think religion is like Nationalism. I mean, no one ever fought a war based solely on the idea that their country is better than someone elses, but im sure that idea has been used to rally support for a cause or convince people into joining a cause.

Meh, what can you do, people just like to simplify things, especially other people's motivations.