Poll: Abusing Cameras in 3rd Person Games

Ninjaghostdog

May 4, 2009
Orcarina of Time go to were Zelda is in the castle. Go under the bridge she is on, use the mirror. BANG! There it is.

gigastrike

Jul 13, 2008
I thought this was gonna be about using the camera to look around corners.

I've done that maybe a couple times. I usually get too embarassed.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
I never play female characters, but sometimes I get the 3rd person camera to look at the right places on female characters I'm not controling.

For the most part, I use the 3rd person camera to make it seem like my character actually has perif vision.
It's annoying in FPS games when you can't see out the corners of your eyes.

DTI said:
I know plenty of girls who do this as well.
Girls look at sexy girls, too?
Nah, I'm kiding...
GIRLS LOOK AT GRUFF GUYS?!

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
I never play female characters, but sometimes I get the 3rd person camera to look at the right places on female characters I'm not controling.

For the most part, I use the 3rd person camera to make it seem like my character actually has perif vision.
It's annoying in FPS games when you can't see out the corners of your eyes.

DTI said:
I know plenty of girls who do this as well.
Girls look at sexy girls, too?
Nah, I'm kiding...
GIRLS LOOK AT GRUFF GUYS?!
Yeah when you run in Gears of War, and tilt the camera down, you get a screen full of rugged man ass :D. Girls aren't as *perverted* as men though so I'm probably just exaggerating.

Catalyst6

Dapper Fellow
Apr 21, 2010
I have no idea what you speak of. After all, the closer the camera is to the character, the better the control is, right? And if it just *happens* to land on a lovely lady lump... well, I can't be held accountable, now can I? heh

TheRocketeer

Intolerable Bore
Dec 24, 2009
As someone who deliberately denies developers and directors my money for making films, shows, or games with level of fanservice I deem unwieldy or cheap, I usually go out of my way not to do this. Mass Effect was particularly bad about this; whenever you get in an elevator- and I really shouldn't have to point out to anyone how likely an eventuality this is- the camera seems to gravitate directly to asscrack level, and with my party usually consisting of Tali, Liara, and myself, I usually have to alter the visible latitude a touch or two to avoid assaulting my own dignity.

It's not that I shun sexuality in media; it's that I disdain the use of gratuitous sexualization as duct tape or wrapping paper on weak product. My mind is a CEO not easily swayed by the Chairman of the Board.

[sup]May that metaphor haunt you to your death.[/sup]

Estocavio

Aug 5, 2009
Looking up skirts? In 3rd person? What on earth are you talking about, thats just wrong! *Quickly resets Xbox*
In all seriousness, i more do it to see how much attention the Developers paid to minuscule details.

chstens

Apr 14, 2009
Doomsday11 said:
why use it when some games do it all for you
"I'm looking at you soul caliber 4"
And other games try to stop you from it (Tom Raider Underworld)

MazzaTheFirst

Jul 1, 2009
Ha, I came into this thread expecting it to be about a 3rd person shooter in an online game, hiding around corners camping and using cheap tactics with the camera. So I can't say I have used in that way before.

Though in AvP a stealth kill with an alien on a marine leaves them in a very... suggestive position. Totally up to chance to happen, but I laugh, and feel dirty, every time it does.

IamQ

Mar 29, 2009
Uncharted 2 acknowledges this in some of their many scenes when you have to give someone a boost to be able to reach a ladder.

One Scene.Drake: "Oh, it's a shame you have to sit on something that pretty."

A different scene. Chloe(when you're giving her a boost up): "Oh, I think you're enjoying this a bit too much."

Yet another scene. Drake: "You've got a great ass Sully! (Sully is a 60 year old man)."

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
I don't fool with the camera in third-person games. I wait until I've got someone watching me play a first-person game (like, say, Fallout 3) then I wiggle the mouse around in an attempt to give them motion sickness. Works best in a dark room.