Poll: According to my peers, PC gaming is inferior to consoles.

Goody

Jan 2, 2011
Private Custard said:
PC games look better, and if you want to use a controller, you can.

PC Gamers aren't better, but our hardware sure as hell is!
This basically sums up my thoughts, the players are not better people for being on a more powerful system, but a gaming PC is better a than console and the cheaper PC games prices make up for the base unit cost, but I do both anyway.

BlackStar42

Jan 23, 2010
To be honest, both sides in this "war" are really getting on my hypothetical tits. Just shut up all of you, no-one cares what you use to play games on. JUST ENJOY THE GODDAMNED GAME.

/mini-rant

Zantos

Jan 5, 2011
BlackStar42 said:
To be honest, both sides in this "war" are really getting on my hypothetical tits. Just shut up all of you, no-one cares what you use to play games on. JUST ENJOY THE GODDAMNED GAME.

/mini-rant
Yes, this.

OT: Superiority is dependent on perspective, it depends on what you want out of it. If you want better hardware and more precise controls then yeah, you're better of with a PC. But if you want something that's cheaper, easy to transport and good to have friends over for with a controller that can be used from any feasible position of comfort, then there's no way in hell you can claim the PC is superior.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
franconbean said:
I lolled when "story line" was used to compare the games.
But argh this argument >.< I'm in a similar situation at school.
I will vote "apples and oranges" on this one though.
I am a PC gamer, but it was hard to hear that "PC gaming is dead, get a console, get with the times" from a guy from Bethseda when I when to Eurogamer to try out skyrim.
One wonders how the Bethesda employee expects someone to "get with the times" by buying a console from 2005 or 2006.

Tim Mazzola

Dec 27, 2010
Frostbite3789 said:
Tim Mazzola said:
brainslurper said:
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!
Sorry.
HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Okay okaAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
Ha HA.
Ha. Aahh.
Okay, lets see.
Game selection-PC has more, consoles lack RTS and MMO genres entirely.
Control Scheme-Try playing with a 360 controller in a PC multiplayer match, see how much you get owned.
Graphics-My graphics card alone is more powerful then 3 XBoxes combined, and thats just the graphics card.
Distribution-Disks? DISKS? HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
In all my life I have never seen anything that even comes close to how pompous and trolly this is.

You are why everyone hates PC gamers.
Explain to me how anything he said is untrue. PCs do have a bigger library and backwards compatibility isn't much of an issue, making the library even bigger.

Control scheme, Shadowrun showed us empirically which one is more advantageous in gaming.

Grahpics, that's not even a debate. You can't even try to debate consoles have better graphics, or hardware. Since you know, you can't update them.
I never said "untrue", I said "pompous and arrogant."

Also, even if people who are somehow used to PC control schemes can play better than people who use controllers, that doesn't make the control scheme by any stretch of the word "better." It still feels ridiculous and unnatural.

Also, "bigger library" and "better graphics" are not real advantages. "Yoshi's Island" still looks better than "Battlefield 3", and... well, you need a SNES to legally play "Yoshi's Island", and that game is better than pretty much ANY game I've played on the PC, and don't get me wrong, I actually do play a LOT of games on the PC due to the fact that I fucking love Steam.

But also my biggest point is that THIS HAS TO FUCKING STOP. "Console Wars" (or, more like "Platform Wars") like this were cute back in the day when we were arguing whether or not a plumber could defeat a hedgehog, but this is just FUCKING STUPID and NEEDS TO STOP. "PC Gamer" is not some royal title that people will be impressed by, yet it gets flailed around like some badge of honor all the time and anybody who touches a console gets ridiculed. It needs to stop, not just because it's annoying as all hell, but because it makes THE ENTIRE GAMING COMMUNITY LOOK LIKE A BUNCH OF DOUCHE BAGS. So, all I'm saying is, PC Gamers, PLEASE stop making us look bad.

ElNeroDiablo

Jan 6, 2011
I dropped about $740 AUD on the guts of my 'new' gaming rig ($125 for 8GB RAM, $135 for motherboard, $295 for i7 2600, $190 for Radeon HD6850), and not only is it a beast at playing all my games, but it's also a strong workhorse when I do Graphic/Audio work and Video encoding (thank you Intel!), something I can't do on a X360, PS3 or Wii.

Oh, and for those who'd try and insult me on spending over $700 for those parts, it'd cost me $400-500 for a X360 or PS3 with a decent-sized drive and/or Kinect/Move, PLUS the $500-1000 it'd cost me to buy a new TV to make playing on a X360 or PS3 look half-decent compared to my old TFT BenQ FP222W (22" Wide) running at 1680*1050 with the HD6850.
So that's easily a $1-1.5K (up to $2K if I got BOTH the X360 and PS3) investment just so I can play games on my couch whilst hogging the TV so others can't use it...

~~~~

Also, to the one trying to argue that moving from Windows to Linux doesn't make sense when 'simplifying' things - Linux doesn't try to lock you out of things that required Admin/Root access IN an Admin/Root account by using BS like "TrustedInstaller" in Win7...
I've lost track of how many times I've had to hijack control of a folder ~BACK~ from Windows in order to stop crap from fucking me over.

Also, before you try to deride me as a "user who's too big for his boots" for trying to control MY system, I've been building and maintaining computers since I was 7 starting with Windows 95, and even XP didn't give me as much hassles as W7 does when I want to cull the excess crap to make a leaner running system that's lighter on my friggen RAM.

Sylvine

Jun 7, 2011
Depends.

If consoles had easy mouse/keyboard support, I could well be inclined to think that. Otherwise, PC will always be king for RTS, FPSes and possibly diablolikes and point&clicks.

~Sylv

Brian Hendershot

Mar 3, 2010
BlackStar42 said:

/mini-rant

I think it's too much for people to enjoy the game and merits that both systems have don't you? Wouldn't be the bloody internet if people weren't getting bent out of shape over minor things now would it?

SuperCombustion

Aug 10, 2010
A computer is like a giant calculator, and a console is like a dvd player. One crunches numbers while the other plays discs. They're two separate things and so can't be compared.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
...Modern Warfare had a story line?
All I saw was a checklist of cliche's mashed together into some sort of Tom Clancy-esque Plot-Loaf.

Wait, I think I vaguely remember some other part of this topic now...I think it had to do with Consoles being better than PCs. I could go on a diatribe of how stupid that argument is, or I can just use three little letters.

'L'
'O'
'L'

And that's all the effort I'm willing to invest into that tired, stupid , useless topic.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
The way I see it, console gamers have gaming as a hobby. PC gamers have PCs as a hobby. Hence they tend to feel strongly about their PCs being better than some console. I'd hazard to say most PC gamers feel the same about consoles as they do about Macs.

ElNeroDiablo

Jan 6, 2011
Wolfram01 said:
The way I see it, console gamers have gaming as a hobby. PC gamers have PCs as a hobby. Hence they tend to feel strongly about their PCs being better than some console. I'd hazard to say most PC gamers feel the same about consoles as they do about Macs.
Y'mean the over-priced/under-spec'd crap Apple pumps out that can be thumped in all processes by a custom-build rig at about half the price, that Apple also gets away with legally locking a preinstalled copy of OSX on (unlike M$) as Apple builds the systems and makes the OS (unlike M$ who steals code for the OS, over-charges for it retail and tries to bully OEMs like Dell and HP into putting on all their systems with a EULA that tries to bind a single copy of Windows to each machine which can get thrown out of court as they only make one part of the system not the whole thing)? :p

Yeah, I'm a person in IT who's also a Computer Gamer who uses Windows (until Steam finally releases a Linux version) and prefers FOSS over monolithic corporate greed <hint: it costs $450 AUD for a retail copy of 7Pro 64-bit off the shelf of a place like Dick Smith Electronics, when I could get a OEM version for $135 + piece of hardware (say, $50 DDR3 4GB chip) + S&H>.

masticina

Jan 19, 2011
adamtm said:
No I still do not understand.
I never understand people that say they reinstall their windows every 3/6 months. I didn't reinstall windows once since i got this machine two years ago. I sometimes wonder what people do on those machines that need a /format C:\ every 6 months.
Seriously the only times I broke windows it was pretty much either on purpose, by my own stupidity (this system32.sys looks suspicious lets delete it!!!!), or massive hardware failure (like that never happens in consoles).

I don't understand the "installation of the game, and drivers and patches and crap" argument either since there is Steam or other launchers that autopatch and have essentially no installation at all beyond the download.

Like i said, you run Linux, I never could wrap my head around linux (and I'm not exactly technologically impaired). Its one of the most unnecessary complicated OS ive ever seen. Seriously I appreciate that the haxxors like to control the cpu fan via command-line. But to say you switched to Linux because Windows was too "buggy" and linux "worked" just reminds me of Steve Jobs and the Mac spin about how it just works. Seamlessly.

Well you haven't tried Ubuntu that is sure, I agree that 5 years ago it could be trouble to work with linux. Hell 10 years ago you would beg for something looking half decent. But now it is like windows in looks or Mac... depending on what theme you install.

And yes there are people who have to re-install windows .. it happens yes! Just because you don't doesn't means it isn't true. I know world changing ideas..

but we are going off the banter here. The original question is PC gamers versus Console gamers, well I was a PC gamer once and games like Neverwinternights, Red Alert 2 and the likes yes I played them. One of the best was Vampire the Masquerade: bloodlines. That game was buggy but so darn good.. think skyrim prepatched or oblivion prepatched. There was so much good content there that you didn't mind that it needed a Fan Made bug fix! [up to 5.9 by now I belief]

Hey in time I might dig in the old box of hardware and get those running again. For now though I streamlined my way. Laptop is for work and media and consoles are for gaming. I like it that way even though I do agree Red Alert for the console... sucks! You need a keyboard and mouse there!

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Dyme said:
Watching someone play FPS on console is like watching special olympics, if you have ever used a computer mouse.
As somebody who has done both, they work, it's not as though people with a controller can't hit what they're aiming at, 9/10 the aiming is balanced around whatever peripheral you're using.