Poll: Aggression and Video Games

Taggart3131

Aug 1, 2012
In this article (http://gamerant.com/psych-game-violence-aggression-theory-117/) there was a study on video games and does it cause increased aggression. To me any study that says video games cause increased aggression is BS the first video game I played was the first Doom and today while I am slightly aggressive I am also well controlled of my emotions and actions but not because of video games but do to my way of life I have found that being aggressive will not get me anything or anywhere. So I ask all of you does video games cause aggression?

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Violent media whether its games, tv shows, movies, theater performances or books will cause aggression as well as most competitive activities. This is pretty well documented but I don't think games are inherently worse in this fashion. For example I live in England where football (or soccer to you folks across the pond) hooliganism is pretty well known... and that's committed by people who just watch it.

WendelI

Jan 7, 2009
yes anger stemming from anything can make a person aggressive. The most rage I've gotten out of a game was from league of legends and I've broken many many things called my family horrible horrible things and hell even lost friends. Though after many anger management classes I can see that games are only a spark to light the flames and any game can get the flames going. I have seen my younger siblings get vocal over Pokemon matches. personally my angry behavior has also dropped yet I still play games all the time. all i got is personal evidence but to me it seems that anger and games are usually a correlation made stronger by a personal problem.

Lufia Erim

Mar 13, 2015
Does it cause aggression? No. Can it cause agression? Of course. See the difference? It doesn't necessarily make you agressive, but i can cause agression based on many factors.

Anyone who says it cannot, is just insecure.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
No, I don't believe so. I believe that many is the case that a good gaming session helps your attitude. And if you're thinking like people getting mad and rage-quitting, that is a tiny spat which does not last long. That is the game annoying you, some. That's not anger in the proper sense. That's irritation. It doesn't last and it doesn't make you a violent person. Only you can do that, only the attributes that you have can make yourself a monster. I have the power to crush anything in my house with my bare fists. I am very in touch with my anger. Things get on my nerves and I play PLENTY of violent games. I have not destroyed much of anything in my whole life, nor done similar to another person.

LuisLOLSuarez

Aug 17, 2015
Funny you mention this as currently part of my thesis relates to aggression in video games. From the studies Ive read the majority of scientific research found that video games (especially those with violent content) do indeed have a link in potential to cause aggression. As one member stated before one particular study notes that the competitive nature in some game genres (mmofps, moba etc) do raise aggression as a result of this competitive motivating factor.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Lufia Erim said:
Does it cause aggression? No. Can it cause agression? Of course.
Yeah that about sums it up.

"It depends" isn't a very interesting or definitive answer but it's the best one you're ever going to get on a topic like this.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Misericorde said:
I think competitive GAMES cause aggression. I don't think it really matters if it's chess, football, or a video game. It's a short term thing, and it seems harmless.
Competition leads to increased aggression and a desire and drive to win. Who'd have thought it? :)

In other words, I fully agree with this post. Its not "video games", its competition. I know I personally am pretty much totally relaxed when playing single-player, but if I play multiplayer nerves can fray a bit. Look at the average football match and how wound up people can get. Especially the Ultras which can result in people getting STABBED for supporting the opposing team [http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/tees/4808246.stm].

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
FalloutJack said:
No, I don't believe so. I believe that many is the case that a good gaming session helps your attitude. And if you're thinking like people getting mad and rage-quitting, that is a tiny spat which does not last long. That is the game annoying you, some. That's not anger in the proper sense.
I don't think that's quite true. I don't think you can distinguish between that and anger in any real way.

And some people really do rage quit hard. One of the people in my group of friends would regularly get gradually more and more angry and abusive during gaming sessions, to the point where he was no fun to play with, and it hurt the entire group, and had a lasting impact. Every session, you're walking a tightrope to keep him from going beserk. Eventually we had to take him aside, and ask him to cut it out, because it just ruined the game for everyone else, and the question he needed to ask himself was, was he playing to enjoy the game? Because that's the only reason you should be playing(At least in this setting), and if you're not getting the enjoyment, then you're coming at it from the wrong angle.
That's irritation. It doesn't last and it doesn't make you a violent person. Only you can do that, only the attributes that you have can make yourself a monster. I have the power to crush anything in my house with my bare fists. I am very in touch with my anger. Things get on my nerves and I play PLENTY of violent games. I have not destroyed much of anything in my whole life, nor done similar to another person.
But yeah, in the end it is up to you what you do, and up to you to control yourself.

That said, I think it's entirely reasonable that a game might cause someone to feel aggressive. Whether they act on it or not is up to them, but say, losing over and over in multiplayer, encountering cheaters, getting stuck in Dark Souls, they're all very good at changing your mood.

Taggart3131 said:
To me any study that says video games cause increased aggression is BS the first video game I played was the first Doom and today while I am slightly aggressive I am also well controlled of my emotions and actions but not because of video games but do to my way of life I have found that being aggressive will not get me anything or anywhere. So I ask all of you does video games cause aggression?
That's not a particularly scientific point of view then. And the zealous denial of evidence contradictory to unsubstantiated personal beliefs doesn't exactly paint gamers in a positive light. It's certainly a response that observers will characterise, coincidentally, as aggressive. You see it really frequently in gaming circles, and it's frankly ridiculous. I know there've been various wankers who want to ban games, but outright denying that they can have any effect is to deny the very reason we play them. Even if they do make you more aggressive, it just puts them in line with many sporting events, a bunch of music, and a host of other things. And if it doesn't correlate to violence, there's no reason to have a social concern anyway.

Asita

Answer Hazy, Ask Again Later
Legacy
Jun 15, 2011
Country
USA
Hmm...I do believe there was a rather compelling point made in response to the similar claim that television turned people into killers. Where was it...ah, here it is.

And really, who can argue with that?

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Loonyyy said:
I don't think it's reasonable at all to think that. Plenty of people have tried to prove that or at least claim so, but their methods are either skewed or based upon a false premise. Your friend was aggressive in your gaming session because he was aggressive. You're probably right and that his motivation was all wrong, but unless you're also saying he's always a really nice guy or at least doesn't have outbursts for other reasons like that, I have to assume that that's just part of his personality. To parallel, everyone else having a good time didn't flip out if they lost, right? Or they didn't get out of hand in another way? Because if the effect isn't consistent, the game would've been just an innocent bystander.

Anyway, I was just sharing my two cents on the matter.

Zaltys

Apr 26, 2012
Depends on the game. Some are pretty good at making the player angry -- usually either at themselves or at other players -- which can cause short-term aggression.

'course, the same applies to all forms of entertainment. Even books.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Taggart3131 said:
In this article (http://gamerant.com/psych-game-violence-aggression-theory-117/) there was a study on video games and does it cause increased aggression. To me any study that says video games cause increased aggression is BS the first video game I played was the first Doom and today while I am slightly aggressive I am also well controlled of my emotions and actions but not because of video games but do to my way of life I have found that being aggressive will not get me anything or anywhere. So I ask all of you does video games cause aggression?
Aggression is not the same as an aggressive personality, or violence. It?s just talking about a temporary response state. So it?s basically just saying that directly after playing a tense game, you would hit a punching bag a little harder or have a slightly less polite tone. Not that it makes you a violent or less pleasant person overall.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Personally I don't believe games cause aggression, but aggression can be caused by people playing games.

The more humans you add to the equation, the more likely aggression can form between them. People get competitive in close environments, and forms of aggression are not always physical. People backbite and stab their way (metaphorically) through the corporate ladder and even at menial jobs, it should be no surprise humans may trend towards aggressive means when interacting with each other in a perceived competitive environment. But that is not a game's fault, its a piece of humanity that exists within most of our natures. Its only how we choose to define situations that changes our behavior. Its not the things we do, its our perceptions of interaction with other humans.

By ourselves games are less likely to cause aggression to manifest, its again our perception of things we interact with non-socially that causes the outcome. Sometimes we get emotionally invested in completing something and the video game is getting the best of us, we get frustrated because our goal is not met, and that manifests in different ways for different people. Apply said situation to a job and you may get similar results.

Its situations and our own self-control and perception that serves as the root cause of aggression or lack thereof.

Areloch

It's that one guy
Dec 10, 2012
zerragonoss said:
Taggart3131 said:
Aggression is not the same as an aggressive personality, or violence. It?s just talking about a temporary response state. So it?s basically just saying that directly after playing a tense game, you would hit a punching bag a little harder or have a slightly less polite tone. Not that it makes you a violent or less pleasant person overall.
Pretty much.

It's also worth noting that ANYTHING can cause aggression, if it happens to be something that annoys you.

I mean, someone screwing up your order at a McDonald's could cause a rise in aggressive behavior. Doesn't mean you're going to jump over the counter and beat people for it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
FalloutJack said:
Loonyyy said:
I don't think it's reasonable at all to think that. Plenty of people have tried to prove that or at least claim so, but their methods are either skewed or based upon a false premise. Your friend was aggressive in your gaming session because he was aggressive. You're probably right and that his motivation was all wrong, but unless you're also saying he's always a really nice guy or at least doesn't have outbursts for other reasons like that, I have to assume that that's just part of his personality. To parallel, everyone else having a good time didn't flip out if they lost, right? Or they didn't get out of hand in another way? Because if the effect isn't consistent, the game would've been just an innocent bystander.

Anyway, I was just sharing my two cents on the matter.
Actually, the effects of violent media upon aggression is fairly well established from reliable sources on a scholastic level. Studies going beyond that are the problem.

There's a series of issues with the gamer response to such claims, the first of which is practically the thesis statement of the OP: we don't want to believe there is a link, and therefore we will reject any study that says otherwise. Another such issue is that gamers tend not to be bogged down by the pesky details of what a study says, because we're too busy being outraged at it. Gaming culture is heavily motivated by fear, persecution and paranoia. Few seem to read the studied and understand their parameters and limitations. They then reject them, often using less reputable individuals to discredit more reputable ones.

Gamers don't want to even entertain these notions, and come up with ways to rationalise, ignore, or dismiss the evidence while coming up with ways to attack the messenger. The problem is there's a very real possibility that the APA isn't out to get us, this is where the evidence leads, and gamers should stop taking a "feelz before realz" approach.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Forget about video games causing violence, did anyone read the study on how reading blurbs about studies on sensationalist commercial websites leads to misinterpretations and fluff?
http://researchnews.osu.edu/archive/violgametime.htm

To recap:
Study was submitted for peer review but has not been published, best advice is to take it with a grain of salt until it's fact checked and it's conclusion given the data is agreeable.
Also note worthy this was simply looking into the cumulative effects of playing violent video games, as players showed more aggressive tendencies after each consecutive day of playing violent video games, the author did a lot of postulating afterwords on the long term effects but noted it's near impossible and unethical to study this long term.

If anyone is interested in more relevant information, here's a meta study on violence in video games:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1359178997000013
Pretty much can be summed up with:
The preponderance of the evidence from the existing literature suggests that exposure to video-game violence increases aggressive behavior and other aggression-related phenomena. However, the paucity of empirical data, coupled with a variety of methodological problems and inconsistencies in these data, clearly demonstrate the need for additional research.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
I didn't get a poke from you for some reason.

*Shrugs*

It's not a feeling. I've been pretty much watching this so-called phenomenon since the first report way back in the time of the first Mortal Kombat. Even as a kid, I wondered about this and gave it some thought. Granted, as a child, I'm not that deep, but as I grew older, I had to remember all the times with any gaming friends, all the arcades I've been to, all the games I've personally played, all the reports I've seen... And those reports, they just walk into my life. I don't even go looking for those. People looking to make violence in video games look bad poke their necks out. The point is that I'm not just saying it just because I don't like the idea. I'm saying it doesn't seem to follow.

For it to be true, it must be largely consistant. There doesn't just have to be a handful of cases, but alot of them. I mean, very MUCH alot. There are tons of gamers out there, plenty of people who play these games. Now, games will do weird things. I leaned left and right, jumped up in my seat, and maybe did a few other things while kicking ass in an MK game along with my fighter, but the reason for that would be a fun reaction. You can say that there's an adrenal reaction of some kind, but it doesn't have to be aggression, and - given that the case of the games conundrum isn't stronger already - I would say that mostly it isn't.

Putting aside the studies that are just trying to look important or actually dishonest, there's probably some here and there that think what they've tested for makes their point. I do not agree because excitement may not be the same thing as aggression here, and is not as dangerous. Games get exciting. People get excited with them. It's only natural. However, the normal response to losing is disappointment, and if there is anger, it's not large anger if you're normal. You see, it's like reacting to people you hate on the internet. If you're seriously losing your shit over this, you're way overdoing it and that's not normal. But the posted snarky or even insulting posts back and forth are not nearly as aggressive as a human can be. I know, because I know in my self what human aggression can be in a real rage.

The kind of overreaction that causes violence is definitely abnormal. Ragequitting and shouting obscenities at the screen is an immediate venting to blow off steam (and quite common), but actually punching someone or something is a different kettle of fish. I don't think those cases, the things people are looking for - which would be actual problems to worry about - are more isolated and have to do with the person. I know this because of a PROPER use of Fermi Paradox. Fermi stated, kind of dickishly, "Where are the aliens?" in this big universe that might support life. I feel like he ignored the obvious answer that it's a big universe and not easy to spot stuff. However, if we asked "Where are all the aggressors?" and focused on the human beings on planet Earth - something we CAN observe - we find that there aren't nearly enough to call this consistant.

Think of all the sore losers and people who shout into microphones. Think of every person on these games who has a bad attitude when playing or might ragequit or whatever. There must be alot of them, because not everybody's fair or decent about these things. It could be said that if there's anybody who is potently going to be an aggressor for some reason, it's them. But uhh...we're not up to our armpits in violent people. Gaming is a serious media moneymaker. Tons of people buy and play stuff. Why aren't ALL the hardcores punching us in the nose? Oh, they might shout a bit, even alot, but they're mostly just hyped. How often do gamers outright slug each other when one wins and the other loses? Surely, this would be something large and traceable, even obvious. It doesn't happen that often, drop in the bucket compared to all the people spending hours playing, year after year, and no real pattern to follow.

The reason is doesn't follow, is the reason that it has never followed. Media doesn't brainwash. TV, radio, games, internet, etc. It doesn't actually change you. It can maybe enhance you, but it's still all you. You are responsible for your own actions. Remember that.