Poll: Alcohol and your reasons...

ApeShapeDeity

Dec 16, 2010
Most people in western culture drink. Indeed, it's pretty hard to argue that drinking isn't ingrained in our social zeitgeist. I know I do. Too much if I were to be honest about it.

I find that I drink for a variety of reasons. Sometimes it's purely social, sometimes from boredom or anxiety. Hell, sometimes just to get drunk.

For whatever reasons you drink (or don't) there are sociological implications. So, let's talk about this... Share your thoughts, both positive and negative...

Wolf-AUS

Feb 13, 2010
Most of the times it's either life or friends which leads me to the bottle. With the crowd I usually hang out with, more often than not, being drunk gets us in trouble.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
I drink to power my fuel cells, obviously.

Mostly it's a mix of "for the flavor" and "just socially" and "makes the fun more fun". Mostly the first two, the second is a happy side effect. I've never actually been ridiculously drunk. No blackouts, no puking, no severe ataxia, nada.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
I drink once a month if at all and only when i dont drive which is almost never. Also i live at home where my parents are completely intolerant of alcohol use...

I enjoy the taste of smirnoff black and the happiness i feel from about four bottles

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
I view alcohol as ... a variety of things. If it is done for pleasure, to deal with grief, or to fit in socially, then it is a form of escapism, because for whatever reason, you are unable to achieve your goals (fun, peace of mind, social acceptance, etc) as yourself. If you drink for the taste, then that is fine as long as you take care not to drink too much (as long as you stay as yourself), if you drink because society does, then you are just a sheep who is willing to risk the quality of life of yourself and others because society tells you to. If you drink small amounts because you enjoy the sensation, then it is harmless enjoyment.

So alcohol, to me, is anything from the equivalent of eating chocolate, to being unsatisfied with yourself as a person and not having the strength of character to work on what you clearly perceive as flaws in yourself (I have strong views on drug use, even caffeine I only have in small amounts, and then it isn't for the caffeine, it is because I enjoy the taste of chocolate/coffee)

ApeShapeDeity

Dec 16, 2010
Wolf-AUS said:
Most of the times it's either life or friends which leads me to the bottle. With the crowd I usually hang out with, more often than not, being drunk gets us in trouble.
If that's you in your avatar, I can see why. ;D

Wolf-AUS

Feb 13, 2010
ApeShapeDeity said:
Wolf-AUS said:
If that's you in your avatar, I can see why. ;D
Hah, yeah, I guess that sums things up nicely.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I don't drink for the same reason I don't smoke cigs.

I don't want to find myself enjoying being self-destructive

Tomster595

Aug 1, 2009
I've never drank before, but I'm going to have my first real opportunity to try next week. Still haven't decided if I'm committed to not drinking, but I'll see.

ApeShapeDeity

Dec 16, 2010
FalloutJack said:
I need reasons? What the frigging hell has the world come to?
Oh, lighten up, man. You have a reason for pooping, namely that it's SOOOO much better than the alternative.

We all have reasons, you don't have to mention them if you don't wanna...

iDoom46

Dec 31, 2010
I suppose socially would be the closest thing to describing my drinking habits, although I've never actually drank at a party, restaurant, or with friends (partly because I usually end up the DD). I only drink on occasion, like on a particularly hot Summer day, or to relax after a hard day's work.

I enjoy drinking, I just don't see the fun in getting totally shitfaced and puking all over the place, or worse, getting alcohol poisoning.

Plus, I've never actually gotten [really] drunk, never enough to get a hangover at least. But that's not really for lack of trying. I just chalk it up to my high tolerance for alcohol (it kinda just happens when you come from a family of drinkers and pretty much grow up drinking).

FarleShadow

Oct 31, 2008
I believe that alcohol brings out the most basic functions of one's mind, so you secretly desire to scream bloody murder? alcohol does it. You want to eat a cheeseburger (As a veggie?), welcome aboard!

Alot of people like to subscribe to the idea that alcohol makes them insane, nuts or just not 'themselves'. I disagree. Alcohol is a magical substance that lets us re-evaluate our self-imposed limitations. Hate meat, but drunk? Have a hamburger! Hate gambling, yet are holidaying in Las Vegas? Gamble your house! Hate drinking? Have another rum and coke!

Sarynroth

Oct 8, 2010
I mainly drink for the taste, so usually spirits but I do also enjoy a pint down the pub with friends as it is a relaxed atmosphere where good conversations are had.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Custard_Angel said:
I drink for the flavor.

So I don't drink beer obviously.

Wine, mixed spirits and cider are best.
I think beer snobbery has become passe, anyway. People have stopped caring about the different varieties of bitter nastiness it comes in. On that note, Campari on the rocks was probably the drink I had the hardest time finishing. Cleanse the pallet my foot.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Because I've been compulsively self-destructive my entire life, and while I've managed to put all the grievous stuff behind me, I still have a very hard time passing up mind/mood-altering substances when they're readily available. The soul-sucking monotony of living in a suburb leaves little other recourse, really.

Zeriah

Mar 26, 2009
I usually just drink socially but occasionally when I've had a tough day and want to relax I'll have a few beers, same for when I'm depressed.