Poll: Alcohol and your reasons...

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
I could choose two of the poll options, but as answers to two different questions.

If you want reasons for drinking, the answer would be 'social interaction'. I don't drink alone... any more.
If you want reasons for my choice of drink, that'd be 'for the taste'. I drink Guinness because it's delicious.

zeldagirl

Mar 15, 2011
I would say on occasion, socially, but always for flavor. If I'm at a bar, I'm going to drink what tastes good and helps me relax and have fun.

Other than that, I'm a bit of a wine snob, so I my boyfriend and I enjoy wine tastings and trying different wines with different meals - a good bottle of wine can really complement the dining experience and make your entire dish more enjoyable.

Mannayz

May 6, 2010
I drink because I like the flavor (I love a good, feisty kick-in-the mouth. Especially when GoldSchlager is involved) and I drink to make the night much more fun, but I only do that whenever other people are getting drunk with me. Contributing all those factors together, it's actually pretty rare that I get thrashed (about once every one to three months).

Vilcus

Jun 29, 2009
I drink after a hard day, a beer after working up a sweat is just awesome.

XandNobody

Oh for...
Aug 4, 2010
To be honest, I drink mostly for two things really. Those are for social reasons, and because of boredom. That's pretty much it. I know it's bad, but it can take a night staring at the computer screen waiting for something good to happen bored out of my skull, and instead turn it into listening to nyan-cat for two hours while browsing random quotes an honestly enjoyable experience.

Now I'll also drink for the flavor depending on, (TGI Fridays mudslides, oh boy...) but there is one time I refuse to, when under stress. I know people who drink for stress relief, and I know people who drink for fun, I want to be in the pool of for fun thank you very much.

Milo Windby

Feb 12, 2010
I drink for the flavour.
Various types of beer, wine and other types of alcohol can be very tasty either alone or with a certain type of food.

I rather like Sleeman's Honey Brown Lager, Long Island Ice Teas and a type of shot called the coffee crisp which tastes just like the chocolate bar of the same name.

As a side note: I mostly drink once in a blue moon, I treat it as a rare treat and try not to over indulge myself on alcohol. In moderation it can be a welcome gift to one self and with the case of wine can also be a bit healthy as well.

ApeShapeDeity

Dec 16, 2010
zeldagirl said:
I would say on occasion, socially, but always for flavor. If I'm at a bar, I'm going to drink what tastes good and helps me relax and have fun.

Other than that, I'm a bit of a wine snob, so I my boyfriend and I enjoy wine tastings and trying different wines with different meals - a good bottle of wine can really complement the dining experience and make your entire dish more enjoyable.
I can really empathise with this. I live in Adelaide, South Australia. So, I have world class wineries on my doorstep (McLaren Vale, Adelaide Hills and Barossa Valley). It makes for a great day out schmoozing 'round top flight wineries, bagging some bottles and then cooking up a storm with friends. Solid gold.

zeldagirl

Mar 15, 2011
ApeShapeDeity said:
zeldagirl said:

I can really empathise with this. I live in Adelaide, South Australia. So, I have world class wineries on my doorstep (McLaren Vale, Adelaide Hills and Barossa Valley). It makes for a great day out schmoozing 'round top flight wineries, bagging some bottles and then cooking up a storm with friends. Solid gold.

Oh, that sounds amazing!! In Arizona, there are actually some pretty surprisingly good vineyards that I've visited, but I imagine it can't really compare with that. Seriously, wine tasting is one of my favorite things ever! :)

bassdrum

jygabyte!
Oct 6, 2009
In my daily life, I'm a bit too composed and in-control for my own good. I very rarely do things that might affect people's opinions of me without careful thought and planning. However, that's not much fun at a party (you know, that awkward guy standing there not dancing with anyone because he's afraid he'll make an ass of himself). Alcohol makes you a bit freer--even just a drink or two and I'll be much readier to step forward and cut loose.

As you may have gathered, I mostly drink socially--there's no fun in drinking alone, and alcohol won't solve any of your problems. The only thing that it CAN do is let you be a bit freer and have a bit more fun with the people your with.

ApeShapeDeity

Dec 16, 2010
zeldagirl said:
ApeShapeDeity said:
zeldagirl said:

Oh, that sounds amazing!! In Arizona, there are actually some pretty surprisingly good vineyards that I've visited, but I imagine it can't really compare with that. Seriously, wine tasting is one of my favorite things ever! :)
Well, if you ever get interested in travelling for that purpouse, Australia's brilliant for it. Picturesque landscapes, beautiful food and the wine, of course.

If you ever get a handful of like minded people together, I'd be happy to recomend some cellar doors.

P.S. It's better and cheaper than Caifornia. True.

Gaiseric

Sep 21, 2008
I don't drink. And I don't think I'll ever drink.

I was around 8-9 when my older brother came home at 5PM, looked like ass, passed out on the couch, and threw up on himself several times. It freaked me and my little brother out. I didn't know what was wrong or what to do. My little brother and I could only think of putting a towel over him so if he throws up again it would be on the towel.

Then years later, my little bro did the exact same thing(twice) except he came home at 2AM.

Also in between those two events my mom started drinking again. She did a bunch of stuff most notably lighting the bushes separating out house from the neighbor on fire, nearly burning the car and almost burning her hair off.

In addition to the family crap, I've seen to many drunk friends(or friends of my brothers) do stupid shit. I haven't met a drinker who hasn't been a dumbass. I know they're out there, but I haven't met one.

Oh and then there was the time, not long after my older bro passed out, where he tried to make me drink whiskey and threatened to beat me up if I didn't.

edit: Ah memories. The above instances turned me off to alcohol for the foreseeable future at least.

zeldagirl

Mar 15, 2011
ApeShapeDeity said:
zeldagirl said:
ApeShapeDeity said:
zeldagirl said:

Well, if you ever get interested in travelling for that purpouse, Australia's brilliant for it. Picturesque landscapes, beautiful food and the wine, of course.

If you ever get a handful of like minded people together, I'd be happy to recomend some cellar doors.

P.S. It's better and cheaper than Caifornia. True.

My boyfriend and I were planning on going to New Zealand/Australia some time in the future, so I'll definitely keep that in mind! Thanks! :)

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I drink because I enjoy drinking and I like doing somethings on a buzz. I drink socially as well, but all of this is done on moderation so its never out of hand. Morning afters are pretty terrible for me though most of the time. Its like since I haven't done it a really long time, I am going to go all out tonight type thing.

Hound174

Dec 28, 2010
I drink alcohol to get drunk
*shrugs*
I mean, energy drinks or coca cola taste better, I only drink alcohol with friends for the intoxicated effect, why else would I? But yes, I do drink drinks that taste good, I don't just skull down any powerful shit.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
given the situation, yeah Ill have a drink, mabye even enough to get drunk

however I CANNOT stand the taste

plus I see drinking as a social thing, and Im not a vyer social person (somthing others have a hard time understanding) so therefore I hardly drink ever

which is probably a good ting as I dont need the added health risk

Ihave nothign against people who do or dont drink, I hate it when people act like obnoxious dicks in regards to alchohol

"ohhhh!!! here have a drink!!!!"
"no"
"awwwww COME ON!! you against alchol cmon drink drink!!"
"no, Im not drinking BECAUSE your being a dick about it"
"COME ON!"
"oh ok fine...there you go"
"HEY! I got x to drink wahahahaha!"
"fuck you..."

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Well, I voted "just the flavor", but I also drink socially, and I occasionally use small doses of alcohol as a muscle relaxer. I'm a total beer snob, by the way... and everywhere I've been has mass-produced swill (yes, even Germany. I lived there 3 years), not just the US. None of it is fit for other than a drunk who prefers not to taste their beer.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
I do it for one of two reason. One, I just like the taste of some alcohols. Two, it's a party and alcohol loosens me up. Noooo not in the way you're thinking dirty minded people :p