Poll: Alien 3 or Alien: Resurrection

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
"Alien 3" is definitely the stronger, albeit flawed, film, but "Resurrection" is fun as the goofy schlock that it is. If you prefer the original "Alien", then go with "3" and if you prefer "Aliens" go with "Resurrection". Both are a downgrade regardless.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
Resurrection is a better bad movie, as in it's entertaining to watch just for the sake of shits and giggles. I barely remember Alien 3. Watch it at some point just for the sake of saying you've watched it so you can form your own opinion, but if I had to pick which I'd rather see again, I'd easily say Resurrection. Goofy bad is better than boring bad any day of the week in my opinion.

Mar 26, 2008
Finally, someone is asking the important question.

I'd go with Alien 3 as even a half-bad David Fincher movie is pretty good. Both are stylistically world's apart from the tone set by both Alien and Aliens and if you watch all the Alien movies one after the other it's pretty jarring. I prefer what they were trying to achieve with Alien 3 and strip Ripley back to her bare bones as a character by taking everything away - even if it didn't 100% work. The whole convoluted Ripley clone thing in Resurrection just irked me.

I think the main reason I was unimpressed by Alien Resurrection was that I read the original working script to it and the end portion was actually pretty good, with the crew crashing on Earth and having to knock an alien queen/hybrid thing into a combine harvester. Instead they ran out of money and just brought it to an abrupt and unsatisfying halt.

Wrex Brogan

Jan 28, 2016
I'd go with 3. I like Resurrection more, but I also recognize that it's a hell of a departure in tone for the series, and most of the enjoyment from it is in the schlock-y 90s sci-fi feel of the whole thing. 3's a mess, but it's at least consistent with 1 and 2 in tone, and some of the character stuff in it is pretty good too.

Plus it makes the Alien feel like a credible threat again after the zerg-rush that was Aliens.

KissingSunlight

Molotov Cocktails, Anyone?
Jul 3, 2013
Alien 3 is my favorite Alien sequel. It's a lot better than Aliens. Aliens is so boring and cliche. I even like Alien Resurrection better than that movie. Even though, Resurrection is a hot mess of a movie. At least, it wasn't boring. Less said about Prometheus the better.

Orga777

Jan 2, 2008
They are both terrible movies and it is better making your own ending after Aliens. However, if you HAVE to choose, go Alien 3. Alien Resurrection I like to pretend doesn't exist.

Mangod

Feb 20, 2011
I'd say... skip both.

But if you're being held at gunpoint, and the only way to escape a bullet-lobotomy is to watch one of them... I'd say Alien 3 is the better movie, although I kind of enjoy watching Resurrection just to point out all the ways it resembles a prototype of Joss Whedon's Firefly.

MrBoBo

Jul 23, 2008
Alien Resurrection is fun if you take it as a B-movie. The human/alien designer was very impressive, I particularly liked that creature.

Alien 3 is very dark, almost overwhelmingly so. It's not really scary and not much, if any of the cast is likable beyond Ripley. Great ending though, big Jesus moment with a "noooooooo" from the evil corporate guys.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Ezekiel said:
Windknight said:
Get the restored edit for Alien 3, and you'll have a good time. I don't like the fact it basically craps all over Aliens ending on high, but in its own right its an interesting take on the material.
James Cameron didn't like that they did that either. I listened to the Aliens commentary track a few years ago. What a disservice.
I honestly don't mind, and I understand why they did it. If newt had still been there it would have been harder to tell a different story rather than just repeat aliens again. I love Alien 3 for what it is but also hate that the meddling stopped us from getting the movie that could have been.

Omniponent

Nov 19, 2009
They're both pretty bad. Alien 3 is way too long and Resurrection is just dumb (but has some decent FX). I'd say skip both. Honestly Alien VS Predator is a better movie.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Ezekiel said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Ezekiel said:
Windknight said:
Get the restored edit for Alien 3, and you'll have a good time. I don't like the fact it basically craps all over Aliens ending on high, but in its own right its an interesting take on the material.
James Cameron didn't like that they did that either. I listened to the Aliens commentary track a few years ago. What a disservice.
I honestly don't mind, and I understand why they did it. If newt had still been there it would have been harder to tell a different story rather than just repeat aliens again. I love Alien 3 for what it is but also hate that the meddling stopped us from getting the movie that could have been.
Let me try to think of a story that expands on Alien while keeping Newt and Hicks alive.

Mankind has ventured far deeper into space since the events of Alien (year 2127) 64 years ago. A drone (Not Weyland-Yutani again. Maybe a competitor, like Bionational.) has discovered an ancient civilization on a dead planet. Or it can be sort of an outpost like in Prometheus. The architecture is again inspired by H. R. Giger's art.

Ripley learns that her adopted daughter Newt was contacted by Bionational for information regarding the events on LV-426 and volunteered for a manned expedition of the new planet. The girl is now 19 years old, a spacer of some kind. She is still haunted by what happened and by the loss of her family and wants to make peace with it like her mother in the last movie. Or it's vengeance, I don't know. Ripley is not on Earth. That would be too much like the beginning of Aliens. Let's say she's the captain of a freighter and learns of what happened via a message from Hicks, who was able to find Newt's destination through his military connections. (Something like that. Maybe not even Hicks.) As the freighter is leaving orbit of the planet currently being mined and the crew prepares to go into hypersleep, Ripley changes course for the alien world in order to get Newt out. Her crew questions her motives. All except Bishop, whom she had repaired and whom she tells the truth. Or, to make it slightly less selfish, she takes the ship's shuttle. Towards the end of the movie, we get kind of a reversal of the last movie, in which Newt saves Ripley.

You're able to please Weaver, who is too lucrative to let go, you're able to please the fans, who have grown attached to the survivors of Aliens, you have an appropriately older looking Ripley, and you expand on the civilization seen in the first movie. All without taking away Ripley's family again and being pretentious like Alien 3.
I didn't say impossible, I just said harder. What happened between Aliens and your story for example?

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Ezekiel said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Ezekiel said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Ezekiel said:
Windknight said:
Let me try to think of a story that expands on Alien while keeping Newt and Hicks alive.

Mankind has ventured far deeper into space since the events of Alien (year 2127) 64 years ago. A drone (Not Weyland-Yutani again. Maybe a competitor, like Bionational.) has discovered an ancient civilization on a dead planet. Or it can be sort of an outpost like in Prometheus. The architecture is again inspired by H. R. Giger's art.

Ripley learns that her adopted daughter Newt was contacted by Bionational for information regarding the events on LV-426 and volunteered for a manned expedition of the new planet. The girl is now 19 years old, a spacer of some kind. She is still haunted by what happened and by the loss of her family and wants to make peace with it like her mother in the last movie. Or it's vengeance, I don't know. Ripley is not on Earth. That would be too much like the beginning of Aliens. Let's say she's the captain of a freighter and learns of what happened via a message from Hicks, who was able to find Newt's destination through his military connections. (Something like that. Maybe not even Hicks.) As the freighter is leaving orbit of the planet currently being mined and the crew prepares to go into hypersleep, Ripley changes course for the alien world in order to get Newt out. Her crew questions her motives. All except Bishop, whom she had repaired and whom she tells the truth. Or, to make it slightly less selfish, she takes the ship's shuttle. Towards the end of the movie, we get kind of a reversal of the last movie, in which Newt saves Ripley.

You're able to please Weaver, who is too lucrative to let go, you're able to please the fans, who have grown attached to the survivors of Aliens, you have an appropriately older looking Ripley, and you expand on the civilization seen in the first movie. All without taking away Ripley's family again and being pretentious like Alien 3.
I didn't say impossible, I just said harder. What happened between Aliens and your story for example?
The four survivors got back to civilization like they were supposed to and carried on with their lives. Does it need to be explained? It was seven years. Might as well ask the same question about Terminator 2. Time skips aren't rare, especially when actors have noticeably aged. It's weird that Ripley ages thirteen years even though she's been in hypersleep between the three movies.

It's not much harder to come up with an alternative. Mine surely has holes, but I came up with it in like five minutes. A professional writer can find a way to be respectful towards Aliens.
And Weyland-Yutani just let them?

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Ezekiel said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Ezekiel said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Ezekiel said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Ezekiel said:
Windknight said:

The four survivors got back to civilization like they were supposed to and carried on with their lives. Does it need to be explained? It was seven years. Might as well ask the same question about Terminator 2. Time skips aren't rare, especially when actors have noticeably aged. It's weird that Ripley ages thirteen years even though she's been in hypersleep between the three movies.

It's not much harder to come up with an alternative. Mine surely has holes, but I came up with it in like five minutes. A professional writer can find a way to be respectful towards Aliens.
Yes. Weyland-Yutani didn't believe Ripley when she spoke of the alien and explained why she exploded the ship, so why would they give a shit now? Burke came because the facility was owned by WY, but once they discovered the eggs he acted on his own. And what are they gonna do? They're a private company. The military sometimes helps them because they're a big enough company t be considered an asset to the United Americas, but they don't have government power. They're not like the CIA.
I'm sorry, what? Burke's orders were specifically about returning a live specimen. Same deal with Ash. Same in every extended universe thing there has ever been.

Chairman Miaow

CBA to change avatar
Nov 18, 2009
Ezekiel said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Ezekiel said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Ezekiel said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Ezekiel said:
Chairman Miaow said:
Ezekiel said:
Windknight said:

Yes. Weyland-Yutani didn't believe Ripley when she spoke of the alien and explained why she exploded the ship, so why would they give a shit now? Burke came because the facility was owned by WY, but once they discovered the eggs he acted on his own. And what are they gonna do? They're a private company. The military sometimes helps them because they're a big enough company t be considered an asset to the United Americas, but they don't have government power. They're not like the CIA.
I'm sorry, what? Burke's orders were specifically about returning a live specimen. Same deal with Ash. Same in every extended universe thing there has ever been.
Show me the line in Aliens. Ripley only says Burke wanted to take a live specimen to his superiors. He was there because it was a very expensive facility. He wouldn't have had to cover up his murders and sweat with anxiety if WY had told him to do what he did.
It was a Weyland Yutani colony. The colonists were sent specific co-ordinates to the Alien nest to investigate.