Poll: Am I In The Wrong Here??

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Well, you did break a rule and got punished for it, so no, in the beginning you weren't in the right.
However, to be fair, if what you said about the teacher behaving that way to you is true, then he's being a power crazed asshole, just looking for an excuse to jump on someone. I had teachers like that who I would regularly fuck with because they would fuck with me.
I wasn't a very popular student.
Regardless, grabbing you by the collar and such is wrong yet what you did broke the rules, so yes, you are in the wrong but they only made it worse by punishing you in that way.
And I would have and have done the same thing, so I'm not one to tell you what you did was wrong and that you shouldn't do it again. >.>

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
dex-dex said:
OmniscientOstrich said:
If your headphones weren't plugged in, why did you have them out?

dex-dex said:
I had teachers who disliked that I wore my headphones around my neck when I was in Secondary school. but it was usually because of tests.
defying trivial rules is not worth being right over. It is all about picking your battles.
What he said.
Uh not trying to be a douche but I am not a dude.
Ah, my bad, I tend to automatically assume the majority of posters are male but really I could have just as easily gone with the gender nuetral 'this' to agree with your statement. My apologies and good day to you madame.

thethain

Jul 23, 2010
Rules are rules, if you believe it is an unjust rule or was enforced unjustly then there are appropriate avenues. Being a dick because someone else was being a dick doesn't make you right.

Theres a saying that life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it. This is a perfect example. If you had said "Sorry" and put them up. There would have been no situation.

You're entire life you are going to be dealing with people in positions of authority, some of them are tools. The sooner you learn to minimize your exposure to them so that you can do what you will on your own time, the better off you will be.

This post brought to you by

andrev 49t,

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
shadowelancer said:
CM156 said:
shadowelancer said:
you are clearly one of the people who assumes that anyone in a position of any power deserves automatic respect due to the fact that they can uphold arbitrary rules.
They deserve respect because they can punish you if you don't follow the rules. And with children and teenagers, fear is respect.
While he was in the wrong to not put them away the teacher was in the wrong to automatically expect respect from him. Iv dealt with many situations where the teacher expects respect for no reason and i refuse to give it to them.
Might I ask this? Has that ever helped you? Might I also add that the teacher has gone through school to learn how to teach, and dedicates their time to making sure it is done? In other words, they have done more then you likely have. So yes, by default, they do deserve respect.
Personally i think he couldve found a better way to stand up to the teacher but the way the teacher reacted was the worst possible way. Personally i never understand why teachers get all bent out of shape about having the little earbuds out, i wear the full headphones that completely cover ones ears and can be seen a mile away but no teachers ever bother me about it its always the kids with earbuds that get targeted for some stupid arbitrary reason.
If you allow one rule to be broken, it encourages students to chalange you there for every little thing. If he had a problem with that rule, he could have taken it up with the school

Maybe this is why i take a true neutral stance on things
Sorry, but you are more Chaotic Neutral. And coming from someone who is Lawful Good (96,86), that's not a good thing in my mind.
I refuse to argue with someone who claims that people deserve respect because they can punish you. That essentially means that people like Stalin deserve respect because he can have you thrown in a gulag. Your argument for respecting people is flawed and i refuse to speak to someone who views any alignments beyond lawful good as a bad thing. Good day sir
Look at children. They have no sense of consequence. I had two teachers in high school I would like to use for this example. One was nice and refused to punish students. They classroom was chaotic and noting at all was done. The other was super strict, and everyone was scared of her. But because of that, we respected her. And the power she had.

Tell me this. If Stalin said "Respect me, or I will have you thrown in a gulag", would you say "NO!" to his face?

And I don't think LG is the only way. I have respect for NG, LN, and even LE. They at least get the job done.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
You broke the rule, he noticed it and did his job. Would it really have been that hard to just put them up?

No.

*Sigh. Kids.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
OmniscientOstrich said:
dex-dex said:
OmniscientOstrich said:
If your headphones weren't plugged in, why did you have them out?

dex-dex said:
I had teachers who disliked that I wore my headphones around my neck when I was in Secondary school. but it was usually because of tests.
defying trivial rules is not worth being right over. It is all about picking your battles.
What he said.
Uh not trying to be a douche but I am not a dude.
Ah, my bad, I tend to automatically assume the majority of posters are male but really I could have just as easily gone with the gender nuetral 'this' to agree with your statement. My apologies and good day to you madame.
I understand what you mean. It has not been the first and won't be the last.
I appreciate the apology and a good day to you my good sir!

Kiju

Apr 20, 2009
Aulleas123 said:
Being a teacher, it's not cute, hip, or smart to start an argument about an asinine rule that you feel is 'dumb.' It makes the student look immature and ignorant. In fact, it makes the student who yells and screams and tries to squirm out of the rules worse than the other students around them who are doing stupid stuff like screaming and throwing trash.

The point is that you have all the rest of the day to listen to music, your teacher is asking for between 1-2 hours of your time (depending on the school and the program you're in). Suck it up, deal with it. Was s/he being a douche? Probably. It still makes you look like the lesser man/woman for making a pointless cause. Sorry to say.
Well, I had a long rant here, but someone else made it short and sweet. So, thank you for that.

Teachers may or may not deserve the respect that they think is due to them, but they do have the authority to get you in trouble if you disobey them, whether or not you think they should be. So when a teacher tells you to do something, suck it up and just do it.

What you did is the equivalent of telling a police officer you don't deserve a speeding ticket because you had your seatbelt on.

PanicMerchant

Jun 20, 2011
You are a human being and since I assume you are roughly 18, give or take, you should really be treated like an adult. This guy should have explained to you why you needed to put them away. However, since he probably doesn't have a good reason other than that it's against the uniform policy, he still at the very least could have been firm without being such an ass.

Also, I don't know where the law stands on confiscation, but I think you're within your rights to keep your property as long as all it's doing is hanging over your shirt.

BlackEagle95

Apr 3, 2011
I've had similar encounters. I've become a pro at hiding my headphones while in the halls.

BUT, the point is, they are against the rules. If you get caught, accept it and move on.

Wharrgarble

Jun 22, 2010
Life isn't fair.

The rules are there for a reason, even if they are or seem completely arbitrary.

You could have avoided this entire situation had you simply put them away when you were asked to. It wasn't a battle worth fighting and you should have known that if for no other reason than the fact that he is your teacher and has authority over you, you would lose.

callmegreen

Jan 29, 2011
Okay...
First off You sound like your in elementary school.... This is a forum for Grown ups youngin.....

Second of all
Why break the rule?
Seriously you have NO reason to want to break it.
Yeah its stupid But its not like your some kind of freedom fighter
and the school is on some secret regimen To bring you down.
He just asked you to put you head phones away and you acted like a
whiny ***** and got your toys taken away.

Necator15

Jan 1, 2010
You broke a rule, and instead of immediately punishing you for breaking it, your teacher asks you to correct it. This apparently makes him a power-crazed douchebag.
You were definitely in the wrong on this one. First, you should have just put the damned headphones away. If you think it's a dumb rule, take it up with the school board. The classroom is not a time to fight that battle. Second, you shouldn't have disrespected the teacher as you claim you did. They went through four years minimum of extra schooling to get a job with a duty to pass the knowledge on. If you're not going to bother showing them the respect they deserve (And don't kid yourself, they deserve it) at least defer to them in their own damned classroom.

Thaius

Mar 5, 2008
If you've seen Les Miserables (or studied French history, but Les Mis is better), consider the situation of the barricade. During that time, people would often set up a barricade in the streets to rebel and defend themselves from the soldiers, but really all they did was die in the streets to make a point. Issue being, since they all only ever died in the streets, it accomplished nothing. Were they standing for a good cause against a corrupt system? Absolutely. But their methods did nothing but waste their lives away with no impact.

That's what you did.

shadowelancer

Mar 18, 2009
CM156 said:
shadowelancer said:
CM156 said:
shadowelancer said:
you are clearly one of the people who assumes that anyone in a position of any power deserves automatic respect due to the fact that they can uphold arbitrary rules.
They deserve respect because they can punish you if you don't follow the rules. And with children and teenagers, fear is respect.
While he was in the wrong to not put them away the teacher was in the wrong to automatically expect respect from him. Iv dealt with many situations where the teacher expects respect for no reason and i refuse to give it to them.
Might I ask this? Has that ever helped you? Might I also add that the teacher has gone through school to learn how to teach, and dedicates their time to making sure it is done? In other words, they have done more then you likely have. So yes, by default, they do deserve respect.
Personally i think he couldve found a better way to stand up to the teacher but the way the teacher reacted was the worst possible way. Personally i never understand why teachers get all bent out of shape about having the little earbuds out, i wear the full headphones that completely cover ones ears and can be seen a mile away but no teachers ever bother me about it its always the kids with earbuds that get targeted for some stupid arbitrary reason.
If you allow one rule to be broken, it encourages students to chalange you there for every little thing. If he had a problem with that rule, he could have taken it up with the school

Maybe this is why i take a true neutral stance on things
Sorry, but you are more Chaotic Neutral. And coming from someone who is Lawful Good (96,86), that's not a good thing in my mind.
I refuse to argue with someone who claims that people deserve respect because they can punish you. That essentially means that people like Stalin deserve respect because he can have you thrown in a gulag. Your argument for respecting people is flawed and i refuse to speak to someone who views any alignments beyond lawful good as a bad thing. Good day sir
Look at children. They have no sense of consequence. I had two teachers in high school I would like to use for this example. One was nice and refused to punish students. They classroom was chaotic and noting at all was done. The other was super strict, and everyone was scared of her. But because of that, we respected her. And the power she had.

Tell me this. If Stalin said "Respect me, or I will have you thrown in a gulag", would you say "NO!" to his face?

And I don't think LG is the only way. I have respect for NG, LN, and even LE. They at least get the job done.
i think it depends on the generation regarding consequences. I personally would have said no to Stalin and i wouldve pointed out WHY i dont respect him. Whenever i argue with a teacher i try to make it an inteligent discussion but all the teachers that i have flat refused to respect have taken the road of "Im the teacher therefore no matter what im right and your wrong". Not all teachers need to be super nice or super strict, i find the best teachers are ones that can find a sensible medium after all. Why rule with an iron fist if you can have the people both love and fear you.

Also youve bassicaly made it seem like the only alignments you like are either good or lawful which is very narrowminded of you and i do believe im true neutral because if the teacher had also been trying to shut up the rest of the class AS WELL AS deal with him and his headphones id say hes in the wrong but the teacher clearly has a very bad sense of control considering he ignores the borderline riot behavior going on and focuses on the one person being quiet doing there work, thats like prison guards ignoring all the rape and stabbings and beating the crap out of the guy whos just trying to serve his time for not using fabric softener in the washing machine. Personally i will treat most teachers with respect if theyll at least try to justify the way there enforcing the rules, he shouldve asked why the teacher was going after him while the chaos was going on but instead he just decided to be obstructive to the teacher. Iv dealt with a few situations where a teacher has told me to put away my headphones and i ask what the problem is. Sometimes they have a genuine argument and sometimes there reasoning is basically "because i said so" even though there is no rules against headphones at all. I personally think that the original poster shouldve told us how long his ipod was being taken away for because i think anything longer than the rest of the class is overdoing it.

hagar2

A RoMAN
Jul 24, 2010
it depends on how you had them out. if they were just out, yes you were right. but if they were in your ears then its a different story.

CM156_v1legacy

Mar 23, 2011
shadowelancer said:
[i think it depends on the generation regarding consequences. I personally would have said no to Stalin and i wouldve pointed out WHY i dont respect him. Whenever i argue with a teacher i try to make it an inteligent discussion but all the teachers that i have flat refused to respect have taken the road of "Im the teacher therefore no matter what im right and your wrong". Not all teachers need to be super nice or super strict, i find the best teachers are ones that can find a sensible medium after all. Why rule with an iron fist if you can have the people both love and fear you.
Ah huh, keep telling youself that kiddo. Sorry, but I doubt any person would do so.
Also youve bassicaly made it seem like the only alignments you like are either good or lawful which is very narrowminded of you
Thats because those ARE the only alignments I like. I don't trust NE and CE because they care only for themself. I don't trust CN because they make their own rules. And I don't like or trust CG because it does what it wants in the name of "right".

and i do believe im true neutral because if the teacher had also been trying to shut up the rest of the class AS WELL AS deal with him and his headphones id say hes in the wrong but the teacher clearly has a very bad sense of control considering he ignores the borderline riot behavior going on and focuses on the one person being quiet doing there work, thats like prison guards ignoring all the rape and stabbings and beating the crap out of the guy whos just trying to serve his time for not using fabric softener in the washing machine.
Did you just compare prision rape to having your toy taken away from you for breaking a rule?
Personally i will treat most teachers with respect if theyll at least try to justify the way there enforcing the rules, he shouldve asked why the teacher was going after him while the chaos was going on but instead he just decided to be obstructive to the teacher. Iv dealt with a few situations where a teacher has told me to put away my headphones and i ask what the problem is. Sometimes they have a genuine argument and sometimes there reasoning is basically "because i said so" even though there is no rules against headphones at all. I personally think that the original poster shouldve told us how long his ipod was being taken away for because i think anything longer than the rest of the class is overdoing it.
I have seen classrooms where students think they are posing debate towards a teacher. All that ever ammounts to, however, is a string of "Why?"s linked on and on and on. A teacher shouldn't have to. All a teacher should have to say is "That's not related to the topic being taught. If you have a problem, take it up with the school."

shadowelancer

Mar 18, 2009
CM156 said:
shadowelancer said:
[i think it depends on the generation regarding consequences. I personally would have said no to Stalin and i wouldve pointed out WHY i dont respect him. Whenever i argue with a teacher i try to make it an inteligent discussion but all the teachers that i have flat refused to respect have taken the road of "Im the teacher therefore no matter what im right and your wrong". Not all teachers need to be super nice or super strict, i find the best teachers are ones that can find a sensible medium after all. Why rule with an iron fist if you can have the people both love and fear you.
Ah huh, keep telling youself that kiddo. Sorry, but I doubt any person would do so.
Also youve bassicaly made it seem like the only alignments you like are either good or lawful which is very narrowminded of you
Thats because those ARE the only alignments I like. I don't trust NE and CE because they care only for themself. I don't trust CN because they make their own rules. And I don't like or trust CG because it does what it wants in the name of "right".

and i do believe im true neutral because if the teacher had also been trying to shut up the rest of the class AS WELL AS deal with him and his headphones id say hes in the wrong but the teacher clearly has a very bad sense of control considering he ignores the borderline riot behavior going on and focuses on the one person being quiet doing there work, thats like prison guards ignoring all the rape and stabbings and beating the crap out of the guy whos just trying to serve his time for not using fabric softener in the washing machine.
Did you just compare prision rape to having your toy taken away from you for breaking a rule?
Personally i will treat most teachers with respect if theyll at least try to justify the way there enforcing the rules, he shouldve asked why the teacher was going after him while the chaos was going on but instead he just decided to be obstructive to the teacher. Iv dealt with a few situations where a teacher has told me to put away my headphones and i ask what the problem is. Sometimes they have a genuine argument and sometimes there reasoning is basically "because i said so" even though there is no rules against headphones at all. I personally think that the original poster shouldve told us how long his ipod was being taken away for because i think anything longer than the rest of the class is overdoing it.
I have seen classrooms where students think they are posing debate towards a teacher. All that ever ammounts to, however, is a string of "Why?"s linked on and on and on. A teacher shouldn't have to. All a teacher should have to say is "That's not related to the topic being taught. If you have a problem, take it up with the school."
The only thing im going to reply to is way to ignore the neutral alignments. Good day.

dorkette1990

Mar 1, 2010
I'm not saying what you did was wrong, but I've seen kids do it, and it's disruptive and annoying. I've been angry with a rule (the length of skirts) and instead of wearing shorter skirts and throwing a fit, I started a petition and went over teachers' heads to administration. More effective and you avoid unnecessary confrontation. Plus, once you get into college, you can pretty much do what you want, so better to grit your teeth through it now and realize the rules are for social idiots, not you.

CM156_v1legacy

Mar 23, 2011
shadowelancer said:
CM156 said:
shadowelancer said:

The only thing im going to reply to is way to ignore the neutral alignments. Good day.
I said NE which stands for NEUTRAL Evil, and CN which stands for Chaotic NEUTRAL. I have already covered LN which I feel holds a good deal of respect for order and NG which wishes to help people wihout respect or disrespect for law.

TN is just middle of the road. There's not much to say, other than the fact that I am a zelot to my causes. So I don't like them that much.