Poll: An unlocked car is stolen, who is to blame?

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
The car manufactures, for not installing the car with automatic locks.

But, I guess it depends.

If you take your car to a place with a sign that says "Leave your car here, unlocked, and it'll be stolen" and you leave it there, unlock, and it gets stolen, then, well, I mean... Yeah.

Depends on the context of the surrounds.

Thurston

Nov 1, 2007
As my father taught, and later as I read in Machiavelli, "Virtue is no defense against lack of virtue."

The honest can be cheated. The peaceful can be assaulted. The faithful can be cuckolded.

Be nice. Also, don't be stupid. Lock your doors.

It's not a weak man's fault if he is robbed. The robber suffers from lack of virtue. But virtue will not defend you.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
BeetleManiac said:
I'm going to skip the part where you assume my motives and instead point out that you seem to be waffling with these two statements. First you say that my empathy is the exact same motive as being afraid of going to prison (it's not), then you say that any motive that prevents me from acting like a shithead is irrelevant because I didn't fuck with you either way. Have you ever met somebody who adheres to the letter of the law but not the spirit and seems to expect a reward for meeting this minimum standard of human behavior? Like the Christians who tell you that it's only fear of Hell preventing them from sinning? I've encountered people like this a lot, and while they may pass the criteria you have described here, I speak from experience that it is unwise to trust them.

Locks do not keep good people honest. Being human does. While we all may possess a stunning capacity for cruelty and negativity, we're also capable of the kind of compassion and solidarity that changes the world.

To put it another way, I assume that you're a nice guy to your friends. Do you do it because you're afraid of getting punched if you don't? Or do you do it because they're you're friends and you want them to be happy too? Not to say that those are mutually exclusive thoughts. But which one is more important to you?
Expecting a reward internally is fine, if you express that expectation then of course you're being rude and whatnot and that is an act that is worth judging but whatever hidden expectations people have in their hearts is their own business for as long as they act appropriately.

As someone who grew up in a super duper Christian country, I know the type of god fearing folk you mention. Thing is, as long as religion keeps em in check, it's better than the alternative of them going wild. Trust them or not, at least the harm they could be causing is minimized. This is the best we can hope for outside of mind-control and authoritarianism.

I do it because I find value in being nice, intrinsic value. It is basically a selfish act more so than one of empathy; I do not wish to lower myself and behaving according to every instinct one may have will inadvertently lower that person to that level. Of course I never even considered punching my friends, so it's easy for me to say since I had to expend no effort in being "not a shithead" but that doesn't make me any better of a person than someone who had the urge and suppressed it. Sometimes I also am annoying on purpose if it has more value, such as saying extremely bad puns and have people groan but then chuckle anyways. The value of comedy surpasses the "get out" response.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Smithnikov said:
sageoftruth said:
I keep noticing a common misunderstanding that's causing a lot of tension here. Basically the idea that accusing someone of negligence somehow makes the perpetrator less guilty.
Well, when it's termed as blame being shared, then yes, it does.

It's okay to call the victim foolish, irresponsible, or downright idiotic (based on context). It's not excusing the thief or stating that it's sometimes okay to steal cars.
But if it's partially the victim fault for the crime, why isn't the victim then prosecuted?
Nice to see the impact this had after my hiatus from the forum.

Anyway, as mentioned earlier, the victim is not being prosecuted because the thief and the victim are not sharing the blame. If anything, the blame for each of them is two separate cases entirely. Case 1 is about how morally reprehensible the thief's crime is, and case 2 is about how much sympathy the victim should garner. Percentage has nothing to do with it.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
It is careless to leave a car unlocked...

[HEADING=1]BUT![/HEADING]

...stealing is illegal, full stop.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
BeetleManiac said:
Dreiko said:
Expecting a reward internally is fine, if you express that expectation then of course you're being rude and whatnot and that is an act that is worth judging but whatever hidden expectations people have in their hearts is their own business for as long as they act appropriately.

As someone who grew up in a super duper Christian country, I know the type of god fearing folk you mention. Thing is, as long as religion keeps em in check, it's better than the alternative of them going wild. Trust them or not, at least the harm they could be causing is minimized. This is the best we can hope for outside of mind-control and authoritarianism.

I do it because I find value in being nice, intrinsic value. It is basically a selfish act more so than one of empathy; I do not wish to lower myself and behaving according to every instinct one may have will inadvertently lower that person to that level. Of course I never even considered punching my friends, so it's easy for me to say since I had to expend no effort in being "not a shithead" but that doesn't make me any better of a person than someone who had the urge and suppressed it. Sometimes I also am annoying on purpose if it has more value, such as saying extremely bad puns and have people groan but then chuckle anyways. The value of comedy surpasses the "get out" response.
Classifying your better nature as inherently selfish motives rather than an empathetic, social drive strikes me as a very cynical, self-absorbed way of looking at human nature. Whatever happened to the sublime contentment of being a part of something bigger than yourself?

Besides, it still comes back to the fact that if you require a locked door to prevent you from coming in and stealing shit, if you will burglarize a house if the door is unlocked and you have a genuine shot at getting away with it, you're not a good or honest person. You're just a discreet breed of predator. Note, I'm using an impersonal form of "you" here.

What it comes down to is not whether or not you have a shadow. Everyone does and it's not a matter of suppressing it. By definition, that's what we do with our shadows. The question is why you choose not to act on it that says something about you. Your relationship with your shadow is based very much on how you feel about those dark thoughts swimming around in your imagination. The kind of person who only refrains from stealing a car because the door is locked still seems to think they're entitled to take somebody else's car and is thus the kind of person who is not to be trusted. Not saying it's easy to spot these people. But when you find you're dealing with one, get away while you have the chance.
My better nature really isn't either of those two things. It's just me being me. What is a selfish motive is behaving properly when my nature isn't to do so. It's a very logical way of reasoning out good behavior I think. You add up the selfish benefit of the act vs the selfish benefit of retaining your dignity and depending on how much you value your dignity you will be that much less likely to behave badly. Call it what you want but I see it as a much better method of procuring a good society than just relying on people being selflessly empathetic cause it feels good to do so.

No matter how safe it is to burglarize a house, you still know that you have fallen to the level of a common burglar, so the damage to your self-image is done even if you don't go to jail. Some people will gladly sell that for the contents of that house, especially if they're desperate, but still, I think most people would rather work and earn those objects in a dignified way, which is why no matter how little risk, you always will be forced to pay a big price for stealing. It might not be jail but rather anxiety about if you will get caught, guilt about being a thief, all that stuff. Of course, if we have some type of anarchist who doesn't believe in property rights, this all goes out of the window, so that is one weakness indeed.

Your shadow is you, if you accept it and don't treat it as some kind of outsider influence trying to make you go down the wrong path but rather as a natural aspect of you that you have to channel creatively and make use of it in good ways then it's gonna be fine. Issues arise when people are made to feel that their shadow shouldn't exist or it's something to be suppressed instead of understood, which was what my comments earlier regarding shaming folks were about.

Jamcie Kerbizz

Feb 27, 2013
Damir Halilovic said:
Blaming the thief 100% completely negates any personal responsibility of the owner, which is a very dangerous line to toe.

Rephrase the situation like this: There was no thief, but an escaped zoo monkey got into the car, managed to start the ignition and drove into a river, drowning in the process. Or if that's too unlikely, let's just say he took a dump and smeared it on the wind shield. If you want to make it more gruesome though - let's say the owner left his dog in the car, said monkey opened the door and the dog ran under the bus.

In all of those you now have a 100% "the owner is at fault" scenario. The only difference is that in your hypothetical scenario the other party is presented as more negative than the first, which somehow absolves the first party of any guilt, which is simply not true.

The only truth of the matter is that crime will exist. It existed since the inception of humanity and might as well be the only constant until the heat-death of the universe. So yes, personal responsibility is a huge factor if you want to assign blame in these scenarios.
Thief is 100% to blame. That isn't question of morality just sheer logic. Now, if we ask if owner did everything in order to *prevent* the theft of car then 100% of blame falls on the owner. There's no blaming the thief here, his intent of stealing the car is unchanged but might have failed or retargeted some other car instead if owner was less careless. But it doesn't alleviate any of blame from thief for stealing the car. It's simple.

Monkey example doesn't apply. Animals aren't responsible for their actions. In such case their care taker would be blamed and needed to cover in full any damage monkey may do.

Going that route you could blame massacred people for not wearing kevlar vests or children to not build up sufficient upper body strength to prevent wrestling away candy or police for not shooting thief in bed first thing in the morning thus preventing any crimes being committed etc. Such reasoning would be just an attempt to whitewash perpetrator and cast some of the blame back to the victim. Nonsense.

That being said, if we discuss responsibilities for crime prevention / avoidance it opens up whole new topic. Lets say car owners starts of with 'oh there was nothing I could do' I shouldn't be in situation where my car is stolen in the first place!' then you could ask how about locking it and that has nothing to do with victim blaming.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
BeetleManiac said:
Dreiko said:
Call it what you want but I see it as a much better method of procuring a good society than just relying on people being selflessly empathetic cause it feels good to do so.
You and I just are not going to agree on this point. While I support the idea of being selfish to become selfless, the operative is that you at some point have to think of somebody other than yourself.

No matter how safe it is to burglarize a house, you still know that you have fallen to the level of a common burglar, so the damage to your self-image is done even if you don't go to jail.
And this I just see as naive. Everyone is the hero in the own narrative. As Akira Kurosawa said, the bad sleep well.

Table this for now?
My quote of choice would be something more like "there is no rest for the wicked" but yes, we can agree to disagree. Cheers. :p

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
I know of no concrete evidence that blame has anything to to with right or wrong, Blame is simply who you personally decide is wrong. Regardless of what the truth may be.

Therefor whomever you decide to blame, is to blame.

Smithnikov_v1legacy

May 7, 2016
BeetleManiac said:
Blame means that person should be held responsible for the consequences. Law enforcement's job is to go after the thief and recover the stolen vehicle. At no point are they required to say, "Fuck you, buddy, we're not going to look for your car. Don't leave the door unlocked next time." In fact, that sort of behavior is actively discouraged in favor of enforcing the law.
You would think that'd be a simple thing for most of us to grasp, but some of us can't it seems...

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Making the mistake of allowing a car to be a greater opportune target by not locking a door is a mistake, not a crime, and still should not be a way to shame or blame the victim of the crime.
It is entirely impossible to say that said thief would have decided not to steal the car were it locked because a determined thief needs nothing to dissuade them from committing the crime intended, and a lock is just an obstacle in their path. Its dependent on the thief's mindset, true, but the idea of a locked car being a total barrier against thievery is not absolute.
But either way, the owner of said car is not responsible for a criminal's intention to steal. Period, regardless of whether they left the doors unlocked or not.
First, on your own property the crime of trespassing is committed, both in entering a property you don't own unbidden (to commit a crime) and then also entering a car you don't own. Even on public land, entering a car you don't own without the owner's permission is trespassing (and possibly with intent to burgle) regardless of a locked/unlocked state except perhaps in certain instances like a good Samaritan moment of turning off lights to save a battery or even to lock the car (things like that are actually protected by law but its a narrow field).
Crime is not ever the fault of the victim, even if the victim made a mistake that put them in the situation. In terms of personal responsibility, all it means is the victim has to deal with the consequences of their mistake, but it should never be a situation to place blame upon them.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
In many cases, the difference between taking precautions and not taking precautions is not in whether a crime is committed, but rather whom the crime is committed against... If the only thing you accomplished by leaving your car unlocked is that your car was stolen in place of someone else's, are you in some way at fault, or in the same way a hero?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
The car, obviously. Not only it let the owner to leave it unlocked, it let the thief to steal it too!

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Sniper Team 4 said:
I completely blame the thief. The thief did the stealing and broke the law.

This is like saying, "Well, she shouldn't have worn that dress/shirt/been a girl if she didn't want to get raped."
Coincidentally, I have heard the later argument being used unironically. It's depressing...

kiri3tsubasa

Jan 24, 2016
Ok for those putting blame on the owner, lets play this scenario. BOnus points since this happened to my cousin back in 1996. This was back when he lived in Longmeadow, Massachusetts. He lived next to the police station, he left his car unlocked in his garage with the door closed. Now the garage wan't powered and as such you had to manually lift the door to get in. Since this was 1996 their was no self start or anything like that, the car was hotwired. Now tell me, how much blame does he get?

Reasonable Atheist

Mar 6, 2012
Smithnikov said:
BeetleManiac said:
Blame means that person should be held responsible for the consequences. Law enforcement's job is to go after the thief and recover the stolen vehicle. At no point are they required to say, "Fuck you, buddy, we're not going to look for your car. Don't leave the door unlocked next time." In fact, that sort of behavior is actively discouraged in favor of enforcing the law.
You would think that'd be a simple thing for most of us to grasp, but some of us can't it seems...
Perhaps the words "At fault" might suit this conversation better