Poll: And now for my review of Yahtzee's reviews.....

OintmentFly

Sep 16, 2010
@ Orange: Haha, what a clever puppy. I totally agree with you about ridiculous limitations on what qualifies as art. After all, art should be something that frees the concious and expands it in ways that may or may not have previously been thought possible. That being said I'm the kind of guy who thinks abstract painting is often so much stylistic phaffery (yes, I know that's not a word, but there it is). Doesn't mean it isn't art.

I agree about any sort of standardised ranking system as well. As a high school dropout I can use first hand observation it's not the be all and end all. And obviously being a long time fan of video games I've seen the methods they use change over time because it is simply impossible to quantify how one feels another might enjoy something. but I think those things have their places too, if only to act as a springboard to deeper understanding.

It's like the Martial Arts; you start of learning techniques only to find later that the techniques are less important than have a feel for movement and for the 'Art' you are creating. I'm sure the same holds true less esoteric arts like painting or sculpting.

LornMind

Dec 27, 2008
TheComedown said:
You'll notice that ZP is not actually found in the review section of the site, it's actually under featured content. Get over yourself dude, you're not the first person to rant on yahtzee and you're not going be the last, but NO ONE CARES.

His reviews are not meant to be taken seriously, you are supposed to take everything he says with a pinch of salt.

He has said it a few times himself in his reviews that its not really serious, and admits constantly he has unreasonably high standards.
The thread really should have ended here.

TrogzTheTroll

Aug 11, 2009
Oh noez, sum1 bashed yatzee because they were assessing his reviews as reviews and not comedy, lets alllll flame him. /Sarcasm/

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
AugustFall said:
Wow, don't watch it if you don't like it. I find it hard to believe you could get this angry over free content or semantics.

Edit: Also your poll cannot be answered with a Yes or a No, it's 2 conflicting questions.
Actually, the question asks if either "I am a trolling moron" or "I have a point" is true, so if either of those statements are true, you logically have to vote yes.

Sir Prize

Dec 29, 2009
I don't think you are a trolling moron, but your point is little bit pointless, and from what I can see you need to just calm down. You have a right to an opinion but that's all it is, an opinion and you shouldn't be defending or justifying it like it's not the be all end all. If you do not like ZP then that is FINE but don't act as though it's trash because of this, and don't go around insulting it like no tomorrow. Also maybe you should stop the personal insults towards the guy because THAT is what makes you look like a troll.

I really like the weekly ZP because it's blunt, honest and doesn't try to be something it isn't. It's not the 'fiery dark humour', he brings up some very good points about the games industry with humour.

Nailz

Jul 13, 2010
I voted No, no meaning no you don't have a point. You should've written a clearer poll.

Edit:
Tharwen said:
Actually, the question asks if either "I am a trolling moron" or "I have a point" is true, so if either of those statements are true, you logically have to vote yes.
No, logically you would have two polls for each question. By your logic if the answer was no to one of them then you would have to vote no. This is clearly a conflict, and completely illogical. Please think out what you are saying before you claim it is logic, as what you have presented is an irrational and unfounded argument.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
Tharwen said:
AugustFall said:
But then the poll is useless as everyone votes yes regardless of which they mean.

Q: "Am I just a trolling moron, or do I have a point?"

A: "Yes."

This makes no sense, am I saying yes he is a trolling idiot or yes to him having a point. I would have to either follow "Yes" with "you are a trolling a idiot" or "Yes you have a point".

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
AugustFall said:
Tharwen said:
AugustFall said:
But then the poll is useless as everyone votes yes regardless of which they mean.

Q: "Am I just a trolling moron, or do I have a point?"

A: "Yes."

This makes no sense, am I saying yes he is a trolling idiot or yes to him having a point. I would have to either follow "Yes" with "you are a trolling a idiot" or "Yes you have a point".
Well there could be someone who thinks that he neither is a trolling moron nor has a point, in which case they could vote 'no'.

Basically, the OP needs a lesson in poll creation.

Xyliss

Mar 21, 2010
Jedi Sasquatch said:
OintmentFly said:
I mean, if a games a sandbox, you hate it.
Not true. He loved Saints Row 2, and he liked Infamous and Prototype, and those are all sandbox games.
OintmentFly said:
If it's too linear, you hate it.
Also not true. Portal was completely linear and he loved that game. Also, Half Life 2.
OintmentFly said:
If it's from Nintendo, you hate it.
He liked Mario Galaxy.
OintmentFly said:
If it sticks too closely to the conventions of the genre, you hate it.
He liked Team Fortress 2, Painkiller, and plenty of other games that stuck closely to the conventions of their genres.
Thank you, I was too lazy to think of these games and show him...glad someone did it for me

TheComedown

Aug 24, 2009
OintmentFly said:
Oh I'm sorry, I must have missed that, what with him referring to himself as a games reviewer so many times....not to mention the fact that it is, in fact, on the review page. Have a second look.

But hey, if Yahtzee says it's not meant to be taken seriously then ok - after all, my problem was that they didn't seem to proper reviews and nothing else. It's pretty much undeniable though that the blurb on the page for it states that it's a review page, in addition to it being on the review page, just to remind you, but ok. He's the one with the group of nut sucking sycophants and not me, so he must be doing something right....

Just interestingly though, if no-one cares, why did you feel the need to comment?
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/reviews/

Nope no ZP there. Hmm, where could he be?

Oh look here he is http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos

Uhh nope not on the reviews page.

Yeah so, he refers to himself as a critic/reviewer a lot yeah, so? What do you think he should be called? Whether you like how he does it or not they are still reviews, and of course they are going to "COP A FUCKING PASTING!" he didn't get to where he is by being nice to games.

Also just read the poll, FFS people when asking a question using the word "or", YES and/or NO mean shit all, your poll makes no sense and you should delete it. anyway back onto the main topic here.

Really if you don't like him don't watch him and don't ***** just cause you don't like something doesn't mean anyone else wants to hear about it, and if you are still going to watch it then you have no right to *****, if you dislike it so much then its your own fault, no one is making you watch it.

I needed to comment for no other reason then increasing my post count.. NOoooo I posted to explain in simple terms that you are reading WAY to much into it and getting overly upset because some dude posted something you don't like on the internet. Before you turn around and post some smart arse response I shall clarify that I am not upset and actually find this thread amusing.

Hey slow down, did you just call me a "nut sucking psychopath"? Why? there is no justification for this kind of flaming, you have proved yourself to be a troll. To which I say good bye and better luck next time.

Master_of_Oldskool

Sep 5, 2008
Honest to God? I think you're right. But this just comes off as a flame no matter how you phrase it, so it probably would have been wiser to just keep it to yourself.

YepGeddon

Apr 16, 2009
I just find zero punctuation entertaining, I don't take it seriously and not buy the games he reviews just because he says they're bad. Its just enjoyable. And funny.

OintmentFly

Sep 16, 2010
Master_of_Oldskool said:
Honest to God? I think you're right. But this just comes off as a flame no matter how you phrase it, so it probably would have been wiser to just keep it to yourself.
Haha, well i've been hit by the ... not ban, probation... stick so you're probably right, it seems even the mods didn't get it and that's probably my fault.

Experiment failed. Close her up.