Poll: Anime List Comparison

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Sunrider84 said:
You gave Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann a 6/10. This makes you a peasant.
Also, ignore anyone telling you to watch K-On. Moe blobs = cancer that is killing anime.

EDIT: You should really watch Planetes.
I gave it a 6/10 because the series ended after Episode 8 when the main character died. The rest of the time was spent trying (and failing) to live up to the pure, concentrated awesome that was Kamina.

Also note the list wasn't complete last night. I did the best I could, but I was damn tired and couldn't think of everything I'd seen. I've been adding to the list slowly (like adding Desert Punk among other things) but its not completely done yet.

Nobuoa Schniell

Jan 23, 2012
Ooof. Damn you, I really want to talk about all the anime you SHOULD have on that list. But you have Blue Submarine No. 6... As long as you didn't watch in on Toonami I guess I can give you props for that.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Well, save Spice & Wolf none of my personal favourites are on there, but as I don't know most of the ones which are, and am hardly fit to discern what constitutes quality in all the copious anime genres in existence anyway, the mystery of your anime lineage will unfortunately remain unsolved until someone like Hayao Miyazaki drops by.

Or you could, you know, not care what random people on the internet thought of what stuff you did or didn't like, and concentrate on finding more of the former. Though I suppose this will come to double as a recommendation thread anyway.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Peasant seems like a weird term to use. You haven't watched that much, but that's not something to be embarrassed about. I'm not the right judge to determine the quality of your list anyway, since I hate shonen anime way too much to be fair. Any suggestions I can come up with wouldn't suit it either, so I'm not sure if I should bother.

Although... why have you watched Innocence and not the first Ghost in the Shell movie? That's absurd. Watch the first movie. Not the "2.0" version with the bad CGI and smoothing thrown, get the 1080p version of the unedited film instead. It's awesome.

Elmoth said:
I'd happily watch any anime, if I could get over it's style and storytelling. But I can't, not any more. I've not really seen any anime that isn't over the top, stylized or weird/silly in some way. Which isn't really my thing anymore. In the interest of staying on topic, is there any anime out there that might still be interesting in a japanophobe like me?
I'm not quite clear on what you're asking for. An anime without anything over the top, stylized or weird/silly in some way? Are you looking for a drama with no fantasy or sci-fi elements and no comic relief? That's going to be a pretty short list, even if you include regular TV shows and movies.

EDIT: I mean, yeah, there are naturalistic movies. You know what I mean, though.

z121231211

Jun 24, 2008
If all you've seen are series that are on Adult Swim, you most certainly haven't seen enough anime to put down someone else for not having seen enough anime. He's full of shit, but shame on you for not just looking at a previous thread of "Recommend me anime" and finding some good ones from those.

Troublesome Lagomorph

The Deadliest Bunny
May 26, 2009
[Kira Must Die said:
]Nah, even though I enjoyed both series, I can understand where you're coming from. I've seen a fair share of anime (I've got an anime list [http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KiraMustDie], too.) and I, too, have some series that I hate that everyone else seem to love.
Same here.
Although I do have series that everyone else seems to love and I DESPISE... (ie: Zero no Tsukima)
I prefer my manga list, but here's my anime list [http://myanimelist.net/animelist/HailFire998]...
Also: OP: You have some meh stuff and some great stuff. I wouldn't call you a peasant, but you could do with moar epic animez.
Also, the bulk of your stuff is bad... ~10 are great, the rest are shit or nothing too great. I'd say browse some good anime recommendation threads... but I can't call you a peasant if you like Trigun and Cowboy Bebop.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I'd say you're a peasant since your list is tiny, but how much anime you watch doesn't affect you having an opinion on a show. I've seen way more anime than what is healthy and I have shit taste. Proof. [http://myanimelist.net/animelist/tsuki15]

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Digimon - First 3 seasons.
Pokemon - All series and almost all movies.
Dragonball:Z - All series apart from last.
Beyblade
Yu-Gi-Oh - First few seasons.
Akira
Neon Genesis Evangelion
End of Evangelion
Rebuild Of Evangelion
Welcome to the NHK
Full metal Alchemist
Full metal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Full metal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shambala
K-ON - Season 1
High school of the Dead
Angel Beats
Darker Than Black
Bleach - Season 1 and 2.
Clannad
Clannad: After Story
Naruto - Season 1 and 2.
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Season 1 and 2.
The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya
Gundam 00 - Season 1 and 2.
Gundam Unicorn
Ergo Proxy
Spice and Wolf - Season 1 and 2.
Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magicka
Shaman King
Toradora!
The World God Only Knows
Death Note - Season 1 and 2.
Nichijou.

Those are basically all of the anime I've seen that I can think if at the moment. I think your list is fine at the moment really to be honest, your friend isn't being very fair to you. There is another anime I'm planning to watch at the moment too but I haven't had the time and I only really got into anime within the past year, but I haven't really got into any new recent anime.

Oh and these animes i've listed include some of the extras likes OVA's sometimes too.

Nickolai77

Apr 3, 2009
Black Lagoon, Ergo Proxy and Blood + and Ghost in a Shell are all animes i've enjoyed so i'd recommend those.

Btw, i'm thinking of getting Eden of the East- bearing in mind the anime's i've listed above, would anyone recommend this anime?

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Tastes differ; if you compare my list [http://myanimelist.net/animelist/Ms_Sunlight] with the OP's, you'll see very little overlap. I've got more shojo, more movies plus a bunch of older stuff (especially OVAs) that I watched on VHS back in the day. The list isn't complete; I've been watching anime for years, there's no way I can remember it all.

Don't let anyone tell you you're a "peasant". You like what you like. Anyone who belittles you for that is a fuckwit.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
I heard the first season of Darker than Black is ok, but the second season is bad people like to pretend it didn't happen.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
Xhoyl said:
You should probably quit being condescending for a little bit and realise that people have different opinions and not everyone has to agree with you. Now, I also quite liked the ending to R2, but I hardly think it's the greatest ending in the history of storytelling. Most of your points can be attributed to the fact that it takes a lot of influence from The Revenge Tragedy genre of plays. It in particular takes a lot of the overarching plot from Hamlet but y'know, with robots. The whole theme throughout the second season is "The ends justify the means" which is ripped right from all things Machiavelli.

Lelouch as a character is pretty much a combination between Light Yagami and Batman, Suzaku is the stereotypical best friend character who doesn't agree with the main character. Euphemia is the innocent, naive, idealist who is destined to die.

Do you see what I'm getting at here? Yes it's good, it's executed well, but it's hard to call it the greatest ending of all time or anything like that when everything about it is ripped from the pages of far better works.

Nickolai77 said:
Btw, i'm thinking of getting Eden of the East- bearing in mind the anime's i've listed above, would anyone recommend this anime?
It had a really great premise and it could have been a classic if they had done it right... but they didn't. In execution I don't personally think they pulled it off. Still definitely worth a watch though.

Paragon Fury said:
I heard the first season of Darker than Black is ok, but the second season is bad people like to pretend it didn't happen.
Second season? What second season? DOESN'T EXIST.

No but seriously, the first season works well enough as a stand alone series, so just watch that and ignore the second season.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Anoni Mus said:
[Kira Must Die said:
]Nah, even though I enjoyed both series, I can understand where you're coming from. I've seen a fair share of anime (I've got an anime list [http://myanimelist.net/animelist/KiraMustDie], too.) and I, too, have some series that I hate that everyone else seem to love.
Big list, but when you look at the days spent watching anime is nothing much :p
Well, I never bother editing that. Too much of a hassle. I've been watching anime for quite a long time.

Tohru_Readman

Sep 14, 2009
Some good shows on the list, my favourites out of the list:

Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Fullmetal Alchemist
Ghost in the Shell
Bleach
Gurren Lagann (just started to watch)

I have lots of friends who like anime as well and we don't agree on everything. Just because you don't like a certain show doesn't make your opinions worthless.

Here's a list of a few more that you might like:

Black Lagoon
Yu Yu Hakusho
Heat Guy J
Full Metal Panic