Poll: Anime Subbed or dubbed?

Takabaka136

Mar 3, 2009
I'm just wondering what people prefer when it comes to watching anime. I prefer subbed, because for whatever reason the dubbed voices have really started to get to me and especially with Charles vi Britannia's voice in the original Japanese

delet

Nov 2, 2008
You're new here, so it's forgivable, but this thread was done just a few days ago.

OT: Subbed by far. Much better with the original voices rather than americanized in any way.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Almost every single Japanese voice actor sounds the same, that is to say, terrible.
Granted, most of the American voice actors who do anime are terrible as well, can't they get Jennifer Hale or something?

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Dubbed. I just don't enjoy reading subtitles when I'm trying to focus on the show itself. I much prefer dubbing.

DoctorNick

Oct 31, 2007
It all depends %100 on how I first saw it.

If I saw it in subtitles the first time, then I have to watch that same show with subtitles. If I saw it dubbed, then I need to watch it dubbed. Mostly it's because once I get locked in my head 'That is what that persons voice is' then anything else sounds WRONG.

Frankydee

Mar 25, 2009
Subbed. The voice overs in dubbed more often than not come out sounding realllllllly stupid, with very few exceptions.

Superbeast

Bound up the dead triumphantly!
Jan 7, 2009
I prefer dubbed, but so far have only seen Appleseed (OVA), Appleseed, and Appleseed Ex Machina.

Have seen a bit of Wolf's Rain too, and prefer that dubbed.

But I do know some dubs are absolutely awful, and I prefer the subbed version of Kung Fu Hustle (not an anime, I know) to the dubbed version.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Subbed.

American dubs are usually terrible.

Take this for example:

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Frankydee said:
Subbed. The voice overs in dubbed more often than not come out sounding realllllllly stupid, with very few exceptions.
Yup...

and those exceptions are few and far between...

_Serendipity_

Jun 15, 2008
Usually subbed. Because I'm a snob.

Having said that, I watch the dub if it's as good as the Japanese V/O, which is very rarely is. Ghost in the Shell is a good example of a series with a generally impeccable dub though, and as such always watch it glorious 100% English.

Gabes

May 8, 2008
Truly, it depends on the show. One of my favorites, Bleach, I cannot stand to watch dubbed. It's so dumbed down and childish on top of mostly shitty voice acting. Death Note on the other hand, the dub was very well done with very good voice actors. You don't lose any of the shows maturity like you do in Bleach (yes Bleach is still at best a teenage level show but it seems so much younger in English)

wkim564

Sep 21, 2009
Most dubbs suck compare to the actual VA, but of course there are a few gems with amazing VA like Cowboy Bebop.

Blue_vision

Elite Member
Mar 31, 2009
Definitely defintiely subbed. A good 80% of English voice actors make my ears bleed.

Anyways, watching subbed is actually a great way to learn a language, especially when you're gonna be watching 10-20 hours per series, assuming it's not a sellout in which case you could spend 50 hours on it. If you watch it dubbed, there's not much of a cultural immersion and it makes it stupidly americanized.

The Candyman

Jan 14, 2010
I only prefer dubbed if it is done well, like FMA. But if the voice acting is terrible, or if it's the only option, then I'll go for subbed.