Poll: Any multi-instrumentalists with us on the escapist? + Best instrument ever! poll

KillerH

Apr 7, 2009
Classic and Electric style guitar (I list it twice because you play them completely differently)Bass Guitar, Piano, Harmonica, Laptop (I mean using a techno music program) and vocalist (tom waits kind of songs)

Chummychanga

Dec 7, 2009
Piano is my main instrument, and it is the one I naturally excell at. I play alittle trumpet, saxaphone, and flute on the side. I'm also going to start taking Violin lessons when I go back to school after vacation, my school teaches a majority of instruments.

IckleMissMayhem

Oct 18, 2009
I can play Violin, Viola, Cello & Double Bass, Flute, and the entire recorder family. I sing too, if that counts...

Anyone else suffer the pure hell of ABRSM exams? If so, what grades for what instruments?

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
Sexual Harassment Panda said:
Here is a recording of me being needly aggressive, and damn near collapsing my shoddily assembled drum kit. Enjoy...or not...your call.
After listening to Tim Minchin last night, I am tempted to say that piano is my favourite instrument. But electric guitar just kicks so much ass, Buddy Guy has forever sold me on the idea of electric guitar.
You ever heard Clutch? Your guitar work sounds a lot like Clutch's Tim Sult on a few albums.

I'm primarily a guitarist. Acoustic at home, electric at band practice. I can do bass guitar aswell, which pretty much comes with the territory. My roommate's our band's bass player, so I've had access to a bass guitar for two years now, and I'm pretty comfortable with it.
I can also play passable blues harp. Harmonica isn't that complex of an instrument, so there's not a lot of motivation to really learning it, for me anyway. I can do the lower bends, and a few vibratos. Basicly enough to get those blues and wild west sounds.

iDayman

Nov 26, 2009
Trafs said:
Florion said:
Trafs said:
Florion said:
Trafs said:
Florion said:
I sing in choir and play piano. But I voted violin, chiefly because I am in love with the Scheherezade solo. <3

also WHO VOTED VIOLA AS THE BEST INSTRUMENT? o_o!
ME. SCREW YOU!
RIMSKY-KORSAKOV SUCKS

(I'm a Viola Player :3)

EDIT: by the way, to whoever was arguing about range: the French Horn has a larger accessible range than the Cello. As does the piano, harp, and guitar. But then, range means nothing, really.
GAAAASP YOU DID NOT JUST DISS RIMSKY-KORSAKOV. But you did own up to it, so I suppose you are a worthy opponent. BUT BACK TO YELLING! HOW DID YOU BECOME A VIOLIST?
Ahh, I'm only pulling your leg. Scheherezade is awesome. I'm actually playing in a performance of the whole work on tour in Italy later this year :L
And HELL YES I owned up to playing THE BEST INSTRUMENT EVER!

Lies, btw. Viola actually isn't that awesome: it's not the right size for its pitch so has trouble projecting. Most composers realise this, so they always give us boring parts and nobody writes us any solo music, so we just steal the Bach Cello Suites etc. :3

And originally, I became a Viola player because I auditioned for one of the National Youth Orchestras on both Violin and Viola and only got in on Viola, back when I was very small. So I play it by default, really :L
Florion says "YES!" to stealing Cello Suites. :DDD

Ohhhh, they pulled that on you? D: If you ever want to get into an orchestra for violin, never mention you play viola otherwise they will make you a violist even if you're good enough to play violin for them. My sister's a violinist in McGill Symphony Orchestra, and they eventually found out she played viola, so they were all like, "Hrm, you know you could be in first viola if you switched! :D :D :D" (she was second violin at the time), and she basically just kept saying "NO I'M A VIOLINIST" until they gave up and put her in first violin. xP But her not-boyfriend (they're both just shy) plays viola, just because he likes the sound; I have a lot of respect for people who willingly bear all the "viola burns longer," etc. jokes for the love of their instrument. <3
Well, I am one of those people. Just the circumstances surrounding my "defection to the dark side" were somewhat questionable...
I guarantee I can tell you the punchline of ANY Viola joke before you get to it. And yes, that's a challenge :L

...and yeah, I realised that as soon as I auditioned on Viola they wouldn't be interested in anything else some time later that year. But did I swap back? No, sir. I do prefer the sound of the Viola, it's just a lot more difficult to access that sound, whereas simply beating a Violin with a stick will produce a reasonable noise...
Plus if I'd swapped back, I wouldn't be able to play the Hindemith/Brahms Sonatas, and that would suck :3
Just have to pop in and say violist here as well...but I tend towards playing contemporary electric viola anymore (going to berklee will do that to ya) ;)
And I started on viola.

Oh and being a multi-instrumentalist is just an excuse for people without the drive, commitment, and passion to become truly good at one instrument. I play several instruments besides viola at a high level, but dont consider myself a multi-instrumentalist.

Apr 24, 2008
Klepa said:
Here is a recording of me being needly aggressive, and damn near collapsing my shoddily assembled drum kit. Enjoy...or not...your call.
After listening to Tim Minchin last night, I am tempted to say that piano is my favourite instrument. But electric guitar just kicks so much ass, Buddy Guy has forever sold me on the idea of electric guitar.
You ever heard Clutch? Your guitar work sounds a lot like Clutch's Tim Sult on a few albums.

I'm primarily a guitarist. Acoustic at home, electric at band practice. I can do bass guitar aswell, which pretty much comes with the territory. My roommate's our band's bass player, so I've had access to a bass guitar for two years now, and I'm pretty comfortable with it.
I can also play passable blues harp. Harmonica isn't that complex of an instrument, so there's not a lot of motivation to really learning it, for me anyway. I can do the lower bends, and a few vibratos. Basicly enough to get those blues and wild west sounds.
I can't say that I have heard of clutch, well I could...but I'd be lying. I really like playing acoustic as well, currently I only have an acoustic baritone, so I'm looking into getting a standard acoustic. I just have no idea what to go for, I am long past the stage where it makes sense to buy mid-range guitars...but I'm not shelling out for a Gibson. What would you go for?

Klepa

Apr 17, 2009
No really, snip.
I can't say that I have heard of clutch, well I could...but I'd be lying. I really like playing acoustic as well, currently I only have an acoustic baritone, so I'm looking into getting a standard acoustic. I just have no idea what to go for, I am long past the stage where it makes sense to buy mid-range guitars...but I'm not shelling out for a Gibson. What would you go for?
I really don't know much about acoustics, sadly enough. My acoustic pretty much screams mid-range. I'm poor as a hobo, and need a new electric first, so I haven't even looked at new acoustics. I find smaller bodied guitars more comfortable to play, but I prefer the sound of "dreadnoughts". My problem's always been having to compromise between sound and playability. It all falls down to personal preference though, so it might all be a non-issue for you.

I've heard good things of Furch, but I've never tried one, as they're quite rare around my neck of the woods. Also known as Stonebridge, in some parts of the world.
I guess you can never go wrong with Martins or Taylors either.

If I were you, I'd just take a wad of cash and go around stores testing them guitars out. Since there's not a lot you can do with the sound, when compared to electrics, you probably just want to hear it yourself.

iDayman said:
Oh and being a multi-instrumentalist is just an excuse for people without the drive, commitment, and passion to become truly good at one instrument. I play several instruments besides viola at a high level, but dont consider myself a multi-instrumentalist.
I don't know if I'm allowed to speak to you, without being spoken to, but here I go anyway. While I guess you could be correct, and you might have a point, I personally will always respect a person who has studied more than one instrument. Such as yourself, I guess.

Guitarists constantly fall into the trap of not understanding a single thing about anything else than playing crazy solos, and I'd assume that in classical circles, the same is true for, for example, violinists. Picking up a rhythm instrument would greatly remedy this. I also think that a person who strives to understand music in it's entirety, possesses a lot more wisdom, than a person who only wants to play the fastest solo possible.

FinalHeart95

Jun 29, 2009
If I play Bari sax and Alto sax, does that count as two different instruments? I mean, they're the same key, fingering, and everything...
If they do, then I now play THREE instruments. Alto sax, Guitar, and Bari Sax, in order of experience. Literally the only reason I'm picking up Bari sax is because it's the only instrument my band director will let me play in pep band. Hopefully there are some good bass parts...

Apr 24, 2008
Klepa said:
No really, snip.
I really don't know much about acoustics, sadly enough. My acoustic pretty much screams mid-range. I'm poor as a hobo, and need a new electric first, so I haven't even looked at new acoustics. I find smaller bodied guitars more comfortable to play, but I prefer the sound of "dreadnoughts". My problem's always been having to compromise between sound and playability. It all falls down to personal preference though, so it might all be a non-issue for you.

I've heard good things of Furch, but I've never tried one, as they're quite rare around my neck of the woods. Also known as Stonebridge, in some parts of the world.
I guess you can never go wrong with Martins or Taylors either.

If I were you, I'd just take a wad of cash and go around stores testing them guitars out. Since there's not a lot you can do with the sound, when compared to electrics, you probably just want to hear it yourself.

iDayman said:
I don't know if I'm allowed to speak to you, without being spoken to, but here I go anyway. While I guess you could be correct, and you might have a point, I personally will always respect a person who has studied more than one instrument. Such as yourself, I guess.

Guitarists constantly fall into the trap of not understanding a single thing about anything else than playing crazy solos, and I'd assume that in classical circles, the same is true for, for example, violinists. Picking up a rhythm instrument would greatly remedy this. I also think that a person who strives to understand music in it's entirety, possesses a lot more wisdom, than a person who only wants to play the fastest solo possible.
That does seem like the smart thing to do, there is just a complete lack of places where I could test things out, locally. A few shops, but they stock the cheap stuff...apparently the money is in selling tat. Oh well.

Dahni

Lemon Meringue Tie
Aug 18, 2009
I am a vocalist for a band + feature on a couple of EPs by various bands I'm friends with, a drummer and I'm learning bass guitar after christmas :)

In my opinion, the voice is the best instrument.

StonkThis

Aug 12, 2009
I play the electric guitar and bass (I know, so much variation :O) Baritone and trumpet too, but I gave up on them pretty much.

Marble Dragon

Mar 11, 2009
Sorry, I only play one instrument, although it has a reputation for being a hard one.
That's a french horn, not a trombone. I'm aware that you probably knew that already, but enough people ask in a day to make me a bit annoyed. Runners up are: "How heavy is that case?" "Is it like the trumpet?" and my personal favorite: "How many reeds does the horn need?" The answer is eight, by the way. And they're all tied together in an octagon...

G1eet said:
Trumpet (and any related brass instrument; fingering doesn't take that long to perfect when it's three buttons, give or take) & percussion.
There's more to a three button instrument than fingerings. You should see people try to go from the trumpet to the horn. They're a lot different in lip movement. Heh heh, silly people spluttering like fish.

The poll really should be titled "favorite string instrument." There's at least as much of a difference between a flute and a trumpet as there is between a viola and a violin. (God, those things annoy me. They're beautiful when they're played right, but when they aren't...man, it's like screeching cats.)

ObsessiveSketch said:
Dauntlessidiot said:
I play several instruments, like the cello (foremostly), violin, viola, bass guitar and acoustic guitar,
My "glorified whistles" are just second on your poll, if you'd kindly take a look at it, and I personally happen to play French Horn, and Mellophonium (yay jazz!). And I'm a vocalist.
Horn for the win! Although I don't think you get Mellophone separately. (I thought it was for marching? Ah, never mind...)

Neurowaste

Apr 4, 2008
What no drums?? O: it's an art form too! yeah, drums, violin and electric guitar in that order.