Poll: Anybody still buy gaming magazines?

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I've had a subscription to PC Gamer for about four years running now.

Good morning blues

Sep 24, 2008
I had a subscription to PC Gamer for five years. Over that time, the budget clearly went way down. It went from having, at a minimum, a half-page review for every game, to sometimes reviewing six games on a page that also had a half-page ad. Reviews of AAA games went from being six pages to two. Previews were always an abyss of publisher brown-nosing, but I feel like it got steadily worse over the course of my subscription, and the columns and features also declined in quality. It got to the point where I didn't even want to read the issue that came last week, let alone pay $50 or whatever for another year's worth.

Nexoram

Aug 6, 2010
In Australia, there are these gaming magazines called Hyper. My school buys every copy released so i just borrow it for a few days.

tijuanatim

Sep 24, 2008
I used to have a subscription to Game Informer mainly for the GameStop perks.But I found that I can find the deals online fairly easy as well, so once the subscription expired I just let it go.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
I still have a subscription to PC Gamer, need to renew it in a few days though.

migo

Jun 27, 2010
In the dialup days I used to buy game magazines for the demos, and occasionally they'd come with full version games. With broadband internet there's no need for that anymore.

JackRyan64

May 22, 2010
I used to have subscriptions to Game Informer and Nintendo Power. I've long since canceled both though. I grew up and realized that both were just propaganda for GameStop/Nintendo.

I do get Game Developer magazine. Online version though.

Grey_Focks

Jan 12, 2010
I have a subscription to Game Informer just because it comes with the Gamestop rewards pro card, and to be fair I do like the magazine. I also import the UK version of PC Gamer, because the US one feels kinda half-assed...

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
I never have and probably never will, but I cheated a bit. Back in the dark ages of the internet when a movie could conceivably present the idea that the entire internet could fit into a single human head, my local library would keep several game magazines in stock, so when I was bored or curious or whatever I'd just sit down and read them.

Blights

Feb 16, 2009
I used to buy the ONM fairly regularly, that was a fair while ago though, I stopped shortly after the Nintendo Wii was released.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Nah. Last PC Gamer I bought was ridiculously out of date, and was flat out dull to read.

Fiend Dragon

Apr 7, 2010
I used to get a few of them, PC Gamer and OSM and the like. Had a PC Gamer as a stocking stuffer for christmas this year, and got sick of the thing halfway through. From spending the time that I do on this site and many others, all of the news was outdated to me, plus the features all REEKED of money changing hands. It was hard to take any of it seriously when every sentence had a handful of buzzwords and was sickeningly encouraging. I don't blame them for trying to be profitable, but it ruined it for me.

I guess it doesn't help that I generally don't read any reviews in the first place, since very few reviewers seem to value the same things that I do.

Polyg0n

Jul 16, 2009
I buy one whenever I travel on a train or a bus for even relatively long distance. So I guess that's "sometimes".

Tucker154

Jul 20, 2009
I get Game Informer because I go to Gamestop alot and they talked me into spending the 15 buck,but besides that,no they are kind of worthless.

Keepitclean

Sep 16, 2009
Never, I never buy any magazines no matter the subject matter. You can get all the information from the internet for free.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
When I was younger, I used to read Gamestar (a german magazine) quite frequently. I wasn't able to buy it after moving to the states, but my grandmother (much love for her) still sends it to me every month. Basically, I get a granny package filled with candy every month, and I get to indirectly support a publication I loved as a child.