Poll: Arcades

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
So I was just curious as to how modern gamers felt about this antiquated establishment. I personally love arcades and intend on opening one of my own someday.

Please post your vote and anything else you feel is applicable.

EDIT: Here's a good follow-up question: If you answered yes, why do you like going? And if you answered no, why don't you like going? Too much money, not motivated enough, anti-social, etc.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
i always go to arcades on holidays ^-^ but there arent any near me, so i would go if there some

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
Nope. That's what Blockbuster is for - if I want to play an outdated game, I can play it endlessly for like 5 dollars per five days. Compare that to, say, 50 cents for a single life in fighting games (think Tekken), and you see where I'm coming from.

Zani

May 14, 2008
I don't go to arcades, mainly because there aren't any here, but it's too expensive anyways.

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
Zani said:
I don't go to arcades, mainly because there aren't any here, but it's too expensive anyways.
What if there was an "all you can game" night and every other night games only cost 50 cents at most?

Zani

May 14, 2008
joystickjunki3 said:
Zani said:
What if there was an "all you can game" night and every other night games only cost 50 cents at most?
Then I'd go the nights where you can play all you want, assuming a few of my friends would be willing to go with me.

zirnitra

Jun 2, 2008
I wouldn't go. I went to them a fair amount as a child, to be honest I think the only way modern arcades survive is through nostalgia(80/90s classic arcade games) like the nostalgic sea front arcade style ones do with all the classic Victorian style arcades. I mean anyone who's into gaming now can just go to a friends house to play a console if they don't have one any more.

I once saw an Xbox arcade machine it was at the 2004 Olympic village on tv. they're were about 50 of them and not a single one was being used at all.

I think you'll find the nostalgic route is the only way to go as modern game publishers will not be interested in designing arcade machines with a game of theirs on and loaning/selling them to arcades as it's just not viable (and also has a chance of decreasing they're sales)

so you'd have to buy all the classic sega machines.

MyTriforce

Feb 11, 2009
Whats the point? If you want to play on games you can just stay inside and turn on the xbox. Its cheaper and much less effort xD

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
I would but all the ones by me are rather creepy looking and the people in them scare me.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
When I lived in Long Beach, there was a Gameworks just a few blocks from my apartment, and I used to go all the time. I'm a big air hockey player, and they had a wicked table!

joystickjunki3

Nov 2, 2008
MyTriforce said:
Whats the point? If you want to play on games you can just stay inside and turn on the xbox. Its cheaper and much less effort xD
I view it as more of an experience and a social outting, like a party or a night club. I understand what you mean, though. It's just that arcades tend to populate themselves w/ gamers who enjoy the frantic games like Virtual On and Arctic Thunder, and I really like being in company that shares a common interest w/ me. In an arcade all you need to be a gamer is a quarter, and I like that sort of acceptance, for lack of a better word.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
There's this thing called a "quarter" and this function within games called a "Game Over". No reset button with that creation.

brtshstel

Dec 16, 2008
I like oldschool arcade games (you know, the ones that were ported to the Atari 2600 and caused the Game Crash only to be re-ported to the NES in a better form).

I like the old games like Donkey Kong, Dig Dug, Galaga, Ms. Pac Man, Burgetime, Tapper, and Pole Position. I also like the next generations of them like Mortal Kombat 1 and 2, Super Street Fighter II, House of the Dead, Sega Super GT, Hydro Thunder, Time Crisis, and Star Wars Trilogy Arcade. Pinball machines are good too.

When I was younger, we had a big arcade in the mall that had ticket-prize games akin to Chuck E. Cheese. I found this game called Miner's Revenge and banked about 12,000 tickets on five dollars of tokens (600 tickets per token). After I did thatm everyone playe that game. They moved the machine to a harder-to-find spot and made it harder to get tickets after I redeemed my tickets and got two huge South Park plush toys.

Sir_Montague

Oct 6, 2008
Wish there were still arcades around denver... Sadly, they are few and far between, and now that I only live in denver 1/4 of the time I used to (college), I'm getting less arcade than I could be gettting.

frosts

Jan 15, 2009
I love arcades, mostly because I can play 'older' games I don't have, or discover new ones.

Oh, and light gun games, light gun games just don't seem as fun when there's no arcade.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
The only arcade games that are of any interest to me are those punching games, like Sonic Blastman, but those are harder and harder to find nowadays.

I live in Blackpool so there are still plenty of arcades around, but I don't visit them very often, maybe once or twice a year.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I grew up with a console and I never really got pulled to an arcade more than once. I couldn't see spending money there when I have games all over here. Then again I'm not the most social person around.