Poll: Are cutscenes still necessary?

Spencer Petersen

Apr 3, 2010
IMO cut-scenes are only really necessary when the game needs a quick strong dialogue sessions and the game so far does not include a robust dialogue system.

lordlillen

Nov 18, 2009
Delock said:
lordlillen said:
metal gear solid 4 enough said
Not really enough, as while some great cutscenes were in it, my favorite moment took place during a gameplay cutscene. Alternatively, the statement you're implying could be the over abundance of cutscenes to be a negative. Enough said is hardly the thing to say about Metal Gear or Xenosaga when it comes to the question of cutscenes' worth.

ok maybe i should elaborate some more (is that a real word and did i spell it right?)
what i meant was MGS4 or the whole metal gear saga wouldnt be anywhere close what it is without its masive ammount of cutscenes.

Sneeze

Dec 4, 2010
I like cutscenes, sure they can rip you from the immersion but I honestly find someone stiffly standing there dead still apart from a few mouth movements HL2 or Oblivion style far more boring.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
It depends on the game, some game it's dull without one (The Conduit) and vice vesa on another game.

pyramid head grape

[Game-Over]
Feb 4, 2011
Some cut-scenes that give a sort of playing them as they happen feel to it like dead space 2 for example, rather than sat there starring at how awesomely your character did it :D

Ravison

Feb 9, 2011
I personally said no, and anyone else who's played Amnesia: The Dark Descent will likely understand. Having a gameplay experience that's entirely in my hands is incredibly appealing to me. I haven't experienced any other games that hybridize cutscenes and player control, but it sounds like it would be great, like watching some jerk yap at you while you wander around waiting to kill him, or just killing him and cutting off his monologue, and having that freedom. I think freedom is always good in a game.

but there are definitely games that should be cinematic, with visuals that couldn't be adequately conveyed from a first person perspective.

That's just my 2 cents.

Sep 14, 2009
Whargarble said:
I look at it this way... My character is going to say things I wouldn't ALL the time. The reason? Because unless it's an RPG, generally the protagonist is not even close to someone I'd ever be. I'm a 5'8" female, Marcus Fenix I am not.

And yet I still love his character so I enjoy watching the story unfold through his eyes. To me, it's not unlike reading a book, except I get a gun with a chainsaw on it. Cutscenes set up exposition, which I find necessary for plot, and they can help explain the motivations behind characters.
this is exactly what i was going to say (except i'm not a 5'8 girl)

OT: no offense but i full fledge like cutscenes in games, i have yet to find a game outside of MGS that needs less cutscenes, if not more.

Frotality

Oct 25, 2010
of course, it all depends on the game. for half life, a major element is to never break the player-character immersion, so it all takes place in gameplay. in an rpg? that would never work for anything plot-focused.

personally i see potential in the whole 'interactive cutscene' thing as long as it flows with the game and doesnt just pop out of nowhere (like recent CoD games have tacked on...). take the god of war series; before most bossfights involved wittling down their health then watching a cutscene where you defeat them. god of war mashed the whole thing together and had boss fights mostly play out like cutscenes with QTEs. now this of course can hardly replace traditional cutscenes, but its a step in the right direction, and if done well can really reduce the chance of players noticing when their character has picked up the idiot ball for the sake of the plot. or greatly increase it; as always depends on the game and how its done.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I like cut scenes. They give me a break from all the action and help develop the characters. (Well most of the time they do.)

Of course if done right, it could be possible that a game can do a good job at storytelling without the need for cut scenes.

ROTMASTER

Dec 4, 2008
cutsenes are great but they need to be short to deliver key information in a fassion so as it is difficult to ignore make them short so we can continue playing and dont have long drawn out conversations most of the information should be given to the the player through SPEECH not text as they play in somewhat of a subtle form, if you are unsure of what i mean just look at bioshock 1 as an example it had the best formula yet

Drakmorg

Local Cat
Aug 15, 2008
I prefer cutscenes over what games like Half Life 2 and Fallout 3 do, IE have something play out that resembles a cutscene, but I'm still in full control of my character.

I always end up getting bored just watching the characters deliver exposition, so I tend to wander around while still listening to them. Then I end up missing all the important action bits because I was so enamored with a nearby potted plant that I missed some character getting zapped or kidnapped or something.

Although that doesn't happen all the time, and when the scene can keep my attention it usually does so quite well.

Canatrix

Feb 10, 2011
In moderation? Sure.

On Xenosaga (1 hour long cutscene) levels? >_> Maybe not so much. Although it was a damn good plot of a game. At least the first one was.