Poll: Are Internet Relationships Real Relationships?

Setsuhen

Apr 14, 2009
I had an argument with my friend a while ago about weather or not internet relationships are real. So I wanted to hear your opinions.

Is internet love real love, or is it just some phase that people go through?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
It depends if both people are indeed who they said they are and if they actually expressed their true feelings to each other.

Damien the Pigeon

Oct 23, 2008
Define "internet love." Are you talking about having a girlfriend or boyfriend in a game, or actually cultivating a real-life relationship over the internet?

Lios

Oct 17, 2008
Why wouldn't they be? I mean, I got the love of my life through the internet, and I've got no regrets. It doesn't matter whether it's in person or not, people are people.

SharPhoe

The Nice-talgia Kerrick
Feb 28, 2009
Booze Zombie said:
It depends if both people are indeed who they said they are and if they actually expressed their feelings to each other.
This. It takes honesty on both parts, but once that guideline is fulfilled, it can blossom just as well as a fave-to-face relationship.

pantsoffdanceoff

Jun 14, 2008
nope. Chances are it's love for this guy
[img/]http://www.gearfuse.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/nerd.jpg[/img]

Gizmo

May 4, 2009
Depends on what kind if your playing a mmo and u have a relationship with a male/female good chance that just want something from you. But maybe if u met on a dating website and were going to meet up at some point would be possibly a serious relationship.

hotacidbath

Mar 2, 2009
If they actually meet than yes, but it's kind of hard to sustain a relationship without ever talking to the other person face to face. I think a relationship can start on the internet, but it has to move over to real life eventually.

Setsuhen

Apr 14, 2009
Damien the Pigeon said:
Define "internet love." Are you talking about having a girlfriend or boyfriend in a game, or actually cultivating a real-life relationship over the internet?
The latter would be accurate.

Damien the Pigeon

Oct 23, 2008
Setsuhen said:
Damien the Pigeon said:
The latter would be accurate.
Well then, yes, I think that they can be real to an extent. Obviously, it would be very difficult to maintain, but I think it could work for some people.

Cabboge

Mar 29, 2009
my opinion? no and go outside at meet real people. Its all like the old days when kids would log on to Runescape and ask people out. Whats the point? You really can't share anything with this imaginary person. Their just someone else, somewhere else with diffrent friends and diffrent interest. It doesn't work because the whole physical attraction is missing and I'm not talking about whether they look good or not, I just don't know a better term. I'm talking about the closness feeling you get with a loved one when you walk with them or have dinner with them or whatever. Thats the long answer

In short, internet relationships are not real.

Lonan

Dec 27, 2008
Don't waste electricity, talk to people you can actually see, where you live.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
Cabboge said:
my opinion? no and go outside at meet real people. Its all like the old days when kids would log on to Runescape and ask people out. Whats the point? You really can't share anything with this imaginary person. Their just someone else, somewhere else with diffrent friends and diffrent interest. It doesn't work because the whole physical attraction is missing and I'm not talking about whether they look good or not, I just don't know a better term. I'm talking about the closness feeling you get with a loved one when you walk with them or have dinner with them or whatever. Thats the long answer

In short, internet relationships are not real.
But what if they meet up and try to make it work? Is it still fake then? What about online dating sites? That's dating over the internet.

ix_tab

Apr 25, 2009
Some are, some are just wishful thinking on both parts, and some are 40 year old men in their undies hoping to score.

I've know several couples who've immigrated and married their international internet lover, and all of them are still going strong.

Are internet friendships real? I'd definitely say yes. Hell, as someone who is meeting a friend for the first time on monday when she comes over from America, I have to!

StarStruckStrumpets

Jan 17, 2009
As others have said, only if they eventually meet and like each other when have conversation face to face. I reckon online relationships that stay online are something that people from 11-13 do. I had a gf online once, was hilarious splitting up, neither of us cared! XD

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
Internet relationships can result in actual relationships, but as long the people haven't met each other in person you can't yet call it a 'real' relationship in my opinion.