Poll: Are Skyrim enemies overpowered?

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
I've found this annoying to, especially when I still have something like half my health and the moment I reach for a health potion I get stuck in an unbreakable killing move animation. Though it's entirely possible that it's my fault for never using a shield (I just love my fire spells too much).

mortalsatsuma

Nov 24, 2009
LarenzoAOG said:
The only overpowered enemies I can think of are the "Bandit Leaders" that can somehow kill me with 4 hits from a mundane weapons even while blocking.
This is precisely the problem i had. they were wearing fur armour and took a shit ton of hits yet their iron sword took off about 1 third of my health with each strike and my health is over 300 and then to top it all off, when on my last third she would just do a slow-mo kill animation on me!

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Yeah, Bandit Leaders are pretty OP. They're more likely to kill me than any dragon, that's for sure. Dragons are real pussies, but I'm sure mods will fix that. ;)

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
Not so much overpowered but certainly inconsistent and confusing, I mean how can going toe to toe with a bandit in fur armor with an axe be harder than going toe to toe with a dragon

I know its an rpg and a lot of it is based around numbers and invisible calculations going on in the background but it breaks the illusion somewhat for me

mortalsatsuma

Nov 24, 2009
Fenra said:
Not so much overpowered but certainly inconsistent and confusing, I mean how can going toe to toe with a bandit in fur armor with an axe be harder than going toe to toe with a dragon

I know its an rpg and a lot of it is based around numbers and invisible calculations going on in the background but it breaks the illusion somewhat for me
Yeah, i think you hit the nail on the head there so to speak. I just could not figure out how it worked when dragons, mightly flying fire-breathing beasts covered in scales, are easier to vanquish than a bandit with high career aspirations.

Popadoo

May 17, 2010
Use magic.
Bitches love magic.

At level 4 I managed to take down a Frost Troll on my own, thanks to magic. I don't know if that makes magic overpowered or what, but I did kite it around a lot.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
keep in mind that things in Skyrim don't scale to your level like they did in oblivion, so if your just randomly wandering around its very possible you'll end up fighting things that are higher level than you. That said. I did actually turn the difficulty down a notch, because i was being forced to use archery and magic to get by, when i wanted my character to be a crazy barbarian chargin in and hackin stuff apart with my axe. On apprentice you can pretty much play however you like and not get totally ripped apart for not blocking/sniping/healing.

walrusaurus

Mar 1, 2011
Popadoo said:
At level 4 I managed to take down a Frost Troll on my own, thanks to magic. I don't know if that makes magic overpowered or what, but I did kite it around a lot.
naw you can do the same thing with melee weapons, you just have to time your strikes properly and run away the rest of the time, magic just gives you a little more wiggle room, at the cost of not being able to survive more than 1 hit.

Mozza444

Nov 19, 2009
It really does depend.
From what i have heard and experienced, enemies aren't exactly overpowered. The game is just unbalanced.
If you go for a 2h sword guy and focus on fighting. You win the game.
First i went for a sneaky dude, leveling sneak, illusion and pickpocket very fast which is a stupid mistake.
In my case i can deal the damage but take none... this i don't mind it does add to the fun of the whole stealth idea.
However when you in a room with 5+ enemies... it does feel a little cheap and it annoys me that if i run in with a sword i will die.. and die fast.

I think enemies have too high damage output.. but like i said it can depend.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
i dont think so, bandit leaders are really tough but not imbossibly so.

but the trolls....the trolls!!!

i hated them in oblivion and i hate them in skyrim, damn dirty apes

Belaam

Nov 27, 2009
Not really. Tactics. And maybe a companion. More with the tactics if you don't have a companion.

And adjusting combat styles for different enemies. Bear tactics and frost mage tactics are wildly different things.

Mantonio

Apr 15, 2009
I wouldn't say overpowered, but the levels of enemies does seem a bit... Schizophrenic.

For example. First dungeon I ever did was full of normal Draugur. Pretty good for a new character, right? But at the very end was a Draugur Scourge, which even as a level 20 I still can't beat easily.

Not that I wish for it to be brought back, but the inherent problem with a lack of level scaling is that sometimes the game will just shit on you.

Idocreating

Apr 16, 2009
Capitano Segnaposto said:
Some of them are supposed to be hard. I moved up to Expert difficulty because the game was too easy. I have yet to fight a troll and I did fight a few dragons and a Hargreave on Expert difficulty and had quite a bit of fun. The Dragon fight was fun as hell when it is just you and it, flying around on Ancients Ascent trying to bring the fucker down and seeing it crash right in front of the Dragon Born thing. However, I will say that Dragons are a wee bit easy compared to trolls and giants. In all honesty a Dragon should be the hardest thing to kill, you know seeing that they are DRAGONS.

Otherwise, no. The enemies seem to be perfect for me, if not a tad bit easy.
I think the dragons suffer mostly from pathfinding A.I issues. I was near something like Dathias' House and a Dragon showed up. Was able to stand next to the walls of the house and slowly plick it down with arrows and easily dodging its flame attacks using the house.

The set dragons like at Ancient's Ascent are far tougher due to the area being designed for the encounter. In honesty, few enemies scare me with my archery setup. Steal the Eleven Bow in the Companion's living quarter in Whitehold, level Archery perks and go through sneak up to the Bow sneak damage multiplier. I can one shot most low level bandits and remain undetected.

What does give me trouble are spellcasters. There's a lunatic in a tunnel for a Theif guild mission who could almost always oneshot me whenever i aggroed him. After dying 20-odd times trying to figure out a plan, I finally used my only Paralysis poison which knocked him down long enough to plant 5 sneak attack arrows in him.

Sword and Board is not the way to go. Bow's are the business, specially if you nick that Elven Bow at the start and keep your Smithing skilled up so you can upgrade it. Two handers are rather good on big enemies that are trying to kill your awesome immortal follower as there wide open for slashing.

Mozza444 said:
It really does depend.
From what i have heard and experienced, enemies aren't exactly overpowered. The game is just unbalanced.
If you go for a 2h sword guy and focus on fighting. You win the game.
First i went for a sneaky dude, leveling sneak, illusion and pickpocket very fast which is a stupid mistake.
In my case i can deal the damage but take none... this i don't mind it does add to the fun of the whole stealth idea.
However when you in a room with 5+ enemies... it does feel a little cheap and it annoys me that if i run in with a sword i will die.. and die fast.

I think enemies have too high damage output.. but like i said it can depend.
Sneak damage + Good Enchanted Bows = Stuff dies before it can see you. Bring a follower of some sort along, preferably a warrior type, to take all the hits. Sneaking to melee range without getting detected is too tricky in my experience, and a bow allows you to fire, back off and hide, then let loose another shot. Done right, you can clear a room of 5 guys without ever being spotted.

tokae

Mar 21, 2011
mortalsatsuma said:
So, over to you. has anyone else encountered annoyances like this in Skyrim?
Indeed. Just twenty minutes ago I rage-quitted after being roasted ten times in a row in a room filled with what I thought was one pyromancer and three Novice Ice Mages. Fine, I sneaked the Novices down easily thanks to my Flawless Elven Bow with Fire damage enchant. The pyromancer got me like four times though. The next time I started to feel really frustrated, I mean.. He couldn't be burning me down that fast? I even downed Resist Fire potions that brought his damage-output down to half.. Then I realized there were three more Pyromancers in the same room but on a balcony above me.. I really don't want to go back in there!

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
Raddra said:
I'm playing a stealthy dual dagger + bow wielding light armor user.

If I get the jump on something or otherwise get to start the fight on my terms.. they are dead. No ifs or buts. Stealthing up behind a patrol and silently cutting all their necks one by one unnoticed is delicious. As is finding a good hiding spot and shooting a room dead as they struggle to find me.

If i'm jumped though.. different story. I'm usually in trouble.

I guess with the type of character i'm playing that's how it is.
This my answer and my character build. I use two enchanted daggers right burns you left steals your soul. I sneak I win... I fail to sneak I pray I have enough of the correct potions/poisons.

I always carry 1 anti-cold/fire/magic/ect potion and 3-5 anti-magic/health/weakness to fire poisons.

Still need to enchant my bow...

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
not at all. I feel like the common enemies have actually been scaled down since Oblivion. I think you had the problem because you were fighting a Bandit Leader, which are quite a bit stronger than other bandits.

I like it a lot better. In oblivion it felt like I could fill any enemy with at least 20 arrows before they went down. Now it only takes 3-4 (excluding sneak attacks), which feels a lot more satisfying.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
A lot of enemies seem to be completely random as to how strong they are which tends to be a problem for me.
This isn't like any other game where you can look at an enemy and be like oh ok they're wearing this armor and wielding this they must be around X strength.
Also the "bosses" of a group of thugs pretty much can see stealth from a mile away which is aggravating because it is completely unfair for stealth classes. The same with the frostsworn, I don't know why but no matter what they also see you from insane distances, I'm like 90 stealth, tons of skill points in the stealth tree and yet they damn near instant detect me every time.

I really hate bethesda for screwing with stealth characters and if someone ever comes out with a custom mod or patch I'm going to install it without a second thought.

The same goes with pick-pocketing, it says I have like a 90% chance to pick something and I'll still fail persistently on like every other person.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
In my time with the game, no not really. Though, your health bar length is misleading at times because the middle of it is 0 not 50%. That and I'm tired of guys wading through my Dual-Cast Fireballs that shudder the ground with a explosion worthy of dynamite like it was a slight breeze. Bears are a pain because there freaking HP sinks that don't flinch and can run faster than you. God, I hate bears, now I know why the Master Destruction Trainer in Oblivion hated them so much.