Poll: Are Skyrim enemies overpowered?

BoredDragon

Feb 9, 2011
Being a destruction mage, I usually stun lock one or two enemies at a time with my dual cast firebolts. This works most of the time, but I still end up taking a dirt nap everyonce and a while when I under-estimate my opponents.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
The only enemies that are overpowered are the liches/mages, and only because how the fuck I am supposed to beat something the 1-shots me all the way across the room with a thunderbolt and almost never misses, while I need to get at least 20 shots off at it.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
eh no
because after being 1-hitted by a bandit leader i give them the "nuke it from orbit" treatment with my mage.
everything else is as though as it should be, except dragons, they are far too easy to kill, especially after getting the lightning bolt spell that actually hit where you aim it when you aim it.

Wolfram23

Mar 23, 2004
Only lvl 11 here, but haven't had any trouble really. Well last night it was tough fighting all those witches and that... Hag? whatever with his fireballs (doing the quest about healing the tree in Whiterun).

I keep hearing about this frost troll... but I remember 2 trolls going up to the greybeards and neither were hard. Dual Firebolts ftw?

NightHawk21

Dec 8, 2010
The problem with skyrim is that since they took away the Main ability leveling from Oblivion, you can now technically level very high without upgrading any combat abilities making the game very difficult. Yes, I am aware you could do this in Oblivion too, but it was harder and something not as likely to happen. Good thing is, I read on the wiki that the level of the dungeon is set once you first enter it so go into some of the earlier dungeons and grind up your combat abilities (might have misread it, but I'm pretty sure they don't reset the difficulty throughout the game).

Also the best defense is a good offense, especially in this game. I barely wear any armor being a mage but I can usually melt people before they can hit me. Also use the first shout, it is very, very good. I can't even count the amount of times the short stun has saved me.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
I admit I like to play my games on normal difficulty or even easier ones to enjoy the game and not stress myself with the difficulty of enemies,I haven't found them overpowered.

I had some troubles with giants at around lvl 6-8 to kill them without getting skyrocketed into the moon.

I've been wearing dragonplate armor as well and decided to go towards putting max perks in,before I layed my hands on Nightingale set,when I decided to go Light armor instead(the bonuses were way better).

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
nope
the whole game is fairly easy, you just need to know when to retreat, and when to block, ect
once you learn that, the whole game is a breeze

dudehead

Jul 21, 2008
Aptspire said:
I guess the trolls are, but when I met the "golden claw" boss(I was level 3 or so), I got killed...three times
I then switched my shield for healing spell and kept a 'hit and run' strategy, and he eventually died. In conclusion, I believe that this game is beatable, as long as you're willing to adapt a little
For me it's like that most of the time... but occasionally, no matter how much I adapt, parts are unbeatable. Which is fine. It means I need to come back when I'm leveled and stronger.

However, it's not fine when, say, there's a dragon between me and the next Main Quest Location that has randomly spawned and kills me in 2 breaths. That's not cool.

M4ss4m

Nov 16, 2011
Not really, some enemy's are very powerfull but since the AI is as dumb as a brick it's not really a problem. Standing behind a corner has become a valid tactic for me :p

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
Besides giants......

Me: HA HA! GIANTS! -runs at a giant-
Giant: HA HA! HAMMER TIME! -launches me into orbit-
Me: HA HA! Poorly scaled physics system.....

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
It depends on your strategy, you need to fight different enemies with different methods.

If the bandit can 3-shot you, you should not go at him close range. You should use a shout or two that will put distance between you, you should use your racial power (such as my Orc's berserk rage which doubles my damage and defense).

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
I think it is difficult to tell when you have transition from an area with scaled enemies to one with fixed level enemies. All (or the vast majority of) the dragons are scaled enemies, so you can usually take them. But if you wander into the wrong part of the mountains you can hit the odd troll, or bandit leader, or what not which has a fixed level high above yours. Since there isn't any warning, and since you cant gauge the strength of an enemy except by attacking them, it leads to nasty surprises.

CommanderKirov

Oct 3, 2010
With my mage? I breeze through the waves of enemies pretending I'm the Emperor turning them to dust with my lightning.

On my warrior? I run around with a mace and shield bashing everyone's face in... Well... Except the motherfucking trolls... DAMN THEM AND THEIR POWERS!

The Abhorrent

May 7, 2011
The difficulty is fine for most of Skyrim, but there are some unusual discrepancies.

Dragons, specifically the generic ones, are a bit too easy. For the most part, I find the biggest issue is getting them to land. I've fought nine so far: the first storyline one by the tower outside Whiterun, seven generic dragons, and recently my first blood dragon... in Riverwood. It wasn't there when I went into the trader, but all hell broke loose when I went out. Of these, the ones which gave me the most trouble were the ones which took the longest to land; one fight took probably around 15-20 minutes, mostly because I couldn't figure out how to get close enough to the dragon (Autumnwatch Towers, or something like that), which was constantly hopping between the tops of two towers, a ledge (holding a shout-word-shrine-thing), and a couple of the cliffs nearby. It boiled down to running down the steps of one tower, waiting for the dragon to land on it, and running to the top quickly to get a couple quick hits in before it flew off. Eventually, it decided to land in the forest below the towers for some strange reason. Another trouble-maker was coupled with my first encounter with a Dragon Priest, but running away from the priest was all it took (no way I could handle them both); the dragon landed immediately after (lucky me), making for an easy kill. I then went to kill the dragon priest afterward without too much trouble.

However, once they're on the ground? It's all over. Shield bashing (no perks required) staggers just about every dragon I've come across, allowing for plenty of time to wail on it without fear of reprisal. Their melee damage isn't too impressive either. Being a Nord, and most of the dragons I've fought breathing frost instead of fire, has minimized the threat of their ranged damage as well.

Yes, I am playing a melee-centric character (sword & board).
No, I haven't got the "create a storm" nor the "force dragon to land" shouts yet.

---

Where I've had the most trouble is enemy spell-casters, as well as large groups of enemies in general (groups of spell-casters being the most troublesome, particularly when a boss-type enemy is among them). Still, the biggest issue for me is closing the gap; if I get in close, it's over very quickly. Unfortunately, a lot of spell damage drains you stamina as well; the inability to sprint towards your target quickly becomes a problem. The whirlwind dash and unrelenting force shouts (both of which are storyline shouts) can be useful, closing the gap or staggering them respectively. Shield bashing is again useful at staggering spell-casters.

The only other problems I've had were the times I got careless while fighting groups. Coupled with my substandard healing spells and forgetfulness to stock health potions (I literally have no issues with most melee enemies, seldom have to heal at all), I can find myself at low health and unable to handle all the foes I'm fighting. Groups of spell-casters make closing the game very hard, and those which throw out powerful spells (fireballs are the worst I've seen so far). I got armour up the wazoo and a good shield, which means I barely take any physical damage; but that isn't too useful when they enemies are out of reach and not dealing physical damage now, is it?

There was also that one time I tried to pull a giant all alone, and ended up pulling him with two mammoths. I managed, but it wasn't pretty.

On the bright side, now that I've finally maxed out smithing... I've decided to select the Atronach stonesign (came across it not too long ago exploring a nearby ruin). The tables shall be turning shortly.

blackdwarf

Jun 7, 2010
the difficulty is really weird. i can easily kill a huge dude that is feared by anyone, but i got insta-killed by somethink like a bandit leader. and my main problem with this game are the dragons. THEY ARE REALLY WEAK! everytime when there is one i have this epic feeling like you know that a epic battle is about to start, but one you attack the dragon he is dead after a couple of hits, while you maybe lost 10% health. i find it really dissapointing. i already have more then 10 dragon souls, but i don't know what to do with them.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
ive actually found that most enemies, especially the dragons, were really underpowered. then ive recently come across tougher enemies and those goddamn blood/frost dragons and my god these dragon battles are noe fun, tense and challenging

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Overpowered?
Not really.
I play a sword and shield, heavy armour wearing redguard, and I can take a beating.
Sure, a two-handed power attack still takes out a heavy chunk of health, but they're supposed to.
That's what the shield is for.
A block nearly eliminates the damage, and a shield bash prevents the damage from coming in in the first place.
You need to work on your defense.
Can't just don the best armour and assume you'll be fine.
CommanderKirov said:
On my warrior? I run around with a mace and shield bashing everyone's face in... Well... Except the motherfucking trolls... DAMN THEM AND THEIR POWERS!
I don't get this, what's the big deal about the trolls?
I've met countless trolls and I take them down easily.
Even on my sneak-thief.
Just bash them.
Or dual cast as a mage.
Staggering is powerful.

Kris015

Some kind of Monster
Feb 21, 2009
In my opinion these are (Playing on Expert): Springans, Bears, Saber cats, Trolls, Dragons.
I should tell you I'm playing as an Argonian stealth based character using only bows.