Poll: Are Skyrim enemies overpowered?

godevit

Nov 21, 2008
Hmm its not just the enemies its that the whole combat system in this game is lacking and boring.
I play an illusion mage and it feels like they didn't even try to make interesting spells.

the whole game i just kite like a little coward instead of making them running of a cliff or burn on a campfire.

tomvw

Feb 5, 2009
Vuljatar said:
Also I could swear that Sneak is broken. When I was at around 70 sneak, I could get the jump on anyone without even trying. Now at 100 I can't get a backstab on a lousy low-ranking mook anymore.
Really, I've got a 100 Sneak Argonian with almost all Sneak perks unlocked (I put almost all of my perk-points in Sneak) + the Nightingale armor set (boots with a Muffle enchantment do make a difference) and I'm finding stealth slightly too easy. If I get spotted, I just un-crouch, run out of sight and crouch again, when they stop looking for me I rinse and repeat. I killed a Dragon priest with that method and didn't take a single point of damage.
Even then, at level 43, my One-Handed and Light Armor are high enough to survive a stand-up fight. (two ebony axes with a fire and a frost-enchantment probably don't hurt either)

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Actually, the difficulty is all over the place. Every so often you'll run into some bandits that can kill you in 2-3 hits or shit like that, while normally you wipe the floor with dragons and such.

Also, heaven help you if you gain a few levels from non-combat skills. You could be focusing on Pickpocketing, Crafting and such, with zero combat perks, yet to level 15 and go out into the world. The enemies will be scaled to a level 15 combat character, not a level 15 dude with speech maxed out.

Alphonse_Lamperouge

Oct 19, 2011
before Skyrim, i was playing Dark Souls. now THAT is a game that will literally EAT YOUR DICK. but i digress. no, the enemies are not over powered. man the fuck up, noobsauce :)

Sean Normoyle

Nov 26, 2011
So far I'm absolutely loving the game except for those certain enemies that are like 'mate!' and proceed to hand your ass to you on a silver plater quicker than you can down a potion, but even that is fine with me.

HOWEVER! The Silvers Hand in Dustman's Cairn/Crypt... there has to be a serious problem, playing on expert I've had little difficulty until now (Im level 18) im getting guys with iron swords and no shurt one hitting me into a death cinematic which makes it oh so much more frustrating... one or two toughie i understand, change of strat etc, but when all of them are doing it there has to be a problem...

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
mortalsatsuma said:
So just how come some enemies, who should be relatively weak, are more powerful than creatures such as blood dragons?
Dragons are scaled to match your own level. Other mobs aren't (though their gear is).

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
None of them are overpowered. A poor balance of power compared to other creatures, sure, but compared to the player no. Dependant on your build all enemies can be extremely easy to defeat. I personally just run in, jab with sword, run out before they strike, shout a ball of fire at them, run in, jab, run out and repeat. They almost never land a blow.

skywalkerlion

Jun 21, 2009
Sometimes. I agree with the OP that Bandit Leaders shouldn't be more powerful then a Dragon. I also have trouble with those assholes that do a finishing animation on you when you're at like 70% health. It's ridiculous.

Terminate421

Jul 21, 2010
No, it ups the challenge to the game.

There has been only one time in which I had to set the difficulty to easy to kill some asshat. I had to kill some necromancer named Malakov at level 16. It took me like 40 tries on normal and eventually I said "Fuck it" and made it easier to kill him. Then I set the difficulty back to normal mode because its at least a challenge.

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Just like other Bethesda games, depends on the enemies. For instance I find the dragons kinda retarded, I mean they're the stupidest enemies I've met in a game, and considering other Bethesda games that means ALOT.

Every time one appears, half the time I'm running around trying to catch up to it, and by the time I do its aggravated just about every NPC/enemy/animal/giant in the area. And half the time I don't even get a chance to touch the damn animal as a giant and two mammoths gang rape its ass as I get there. But I still get the "All hail the Dragonslayer" just before the giant I thought was neutral towards me one shots me to death from behind sending my corpse flying through the moon lit night all the way to oblivion....yeah!

0o

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
MrPeanut said:
No, Actually, most are underpowered even at higher difficulties.
This. I decided to challenge myself for a video series in which I would take down those pesky Dragon Priest bastards on Master. And it's been underwhemingly easy with just some mild character planning. I've killed 2 so far whilst in my level 20's which considering they are top tier enemies and on master is kinda dissapointing, although they still are really fun fights.

If you mean overpowered in general then no, with some planning and a good character setup nothing is difficult.

If you mean it's odd that bandits are mere peasants to your bare fists but comparatively a bandit leader is a god then yes "overpowered" I think normal enemies need to be more powerful and gang leaders brought down a bit because the difference is just wierd.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
The enemies aren't too challenging per se, but it is very annoying to fight several peons who take one or two hits and fall down before fighting one guy who can do the same to you and makes you use every single potion. I would rather it be like Fallout 3, where regular enemies are a little stronger and sturdier and their bosses or big best friends are somewhat less so.