Poll: Are you a cat person or a dog person?

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
I have one cat, I love her, and I feel cats are definitely more my type. I, well, not to sound arrogant, but when people say they want a dog for affection I look down on it a little...why do people expect so much in return from their pets? I'm happy with my cat just being there.

Dogs are cute and all, but far too needy. I like independent animals. I feel much less guilty. There's a Samoyed dog next door to my house who's lovely, but incredibly noisy and never seems to get out for walks. Just let out the front to bark at passers by...I can't help but feel like the owners (who, for the record seem like perfectly decent people) are restricting the animal. My cat is perfectly fine heading out every so often and returning to my house for food and safety. You see, with a cat, you know they wouldn't ask for any better. She could just run off, but she doesn't. There's a lot of appreciation in that.

In terms of other pets, I have 2 bunnies, a grown up female, and a wee male. I love bunnies as much as I love cats. They're not easy pets, but damn it's worth it when you get one to bow her head cutely as she approaches you, among other adorable things such as running around your legs and butting you gently.

Superlative

May 14, 2012
Honestly, i prefer dogs. dogs will guard you, love you, and attract girls.

Cats, on the other hand,will enjoy your company on there terms and maybe eat a few rats.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
I like both.

Dogs are good for energy, socialization, and unconditional friendship. Cats are good for low maintenance, lazing by the TV, and quiet.

If I were to get one or the other, I would get a cat. This is because I live alone, in a small house, and am away for fourteen hours at a time for work. Couldn't leave a dog cooped up alone like that, it would go insane.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I'm not much of an animal person in general.
I'm about as high strung as those little toy dogs and things running around, getting into stuff and making noise makes me incredibly agitated and stressed.

ejrocksthisworld

Feb 14, 2010
I believe it all depends on the nature of whichever pets you grew around. For example, I have had way more dogs while growing up, but the vast majority of them except for one, were and are terrible. On the contrary, I've only had three cats and all three have been and are incredible companions. So my vote? Cats, by a long shot!

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
ghostrider409895 said:
I am a dog person. There are just some things dogs will do that cats won't. I can play fetch with a dog, or go for walks. I do appreciate cats. They keep mice away, and they generally take care of their business in a neat and orderly way. However in the end I would rather have a pet that I can play with and train.
Depends on the cat and how good of a trainer you are. Both of my cats are trained on the leash, they are car trained, toilet trained (as I don't like dealing with kitty litter), they play catch with me (I use baby pine cones and toss it to them, and they grab it then throw it back), one of them has full basic training (come, sit, lay, stay, roll, and walk) and the other is close to full basic, and I am working on teaching them to fetch specific objects (no idea if that one is going to work yet or not).

The thing is, cats don't respond to the same stimuli that dogs do, so many dog people don't have any idea where to begin when training cats. The thing with cats is they are creatures of habit, and tend to be fairly self dependant (they don't like the idea of having to wait for a human to do things for them).

OT: I picked cats, but I like both of them pretty well (just cats a bit more). Pretty much any animal with personality, I like. By personality, I mean as individual personality, not breed/species personality.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
I was purely a cat person. But in 2007 my mother bought a dog, and whilst I was mildly irritated at first, the dog became part of our family.

So now I'm both.

Zeldias

Oct 5, 2011
I've had dogs my whole life. When I left for graduate school, I got a cat because, having lived alone before, I knew that between my difficulty making friends (social anxiety, introversion) and coming home to an empty apartment every day was gonna cause me to hang myself. I got a 4 month old kitten (was told that he's a tiger mix) that could sit in the palm of my hand. Now he's the hugest cat anyone has ever seen (not fat, though he is a little chubby; he's just large and muscular). Now that I live with my girlfriend, we've got three; two that I brought, one that she brought.

I still like dogs, but I don't see myself owning one ever again; it's a pain in the ass to take care of them. And the barking sometimes makes me want to impale my eardrums. My oldest cat meows a lot when he feels chatty or wants something, but otherwise, they're a pretty silent bunch. They go in the box so I don't have to walk them (although my oldest cat doesn't cover his poop, which is irritating). It's hilarious to watch them pick things up with their paws. I like watching them run, jump, and climb. My only problem with them is that I screwed up training them to let me clip their nails, so that's a nightmare. Then I slack off on it and the oldest one scratches me up making biscuits sleeping on my back.

Dogs are fun, but cats are quiet, hwich is way way better. It's also fucking adorable when they rub up against you or curl up in your lap and purr and look up with those loving eyes. Dogs can be adorable, too, but mostly only terriers (to me), and then, specifically, Yorkies and Westies. Any kind of cat can be a cutey-pie.

Aurion

Dec 21, 2012
I prefer cats. Dogs are cool in general, but I've had at least once cat as long as I can remember.

The Hero Killer said:
I admire a cats intelligence but I value a dogs loyalty.
Not all cats are smart. Not even close. I have two cats currently, and while one is a scarily inventive problem-solver the other doesn't have a lick of common sense. Cindy makes up for her lack of common sense by being almost painfully sweet, but boy is she lucky she's got the looks (grey tabby, people who visit always coo about how cute she is) because she is not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
I'm a cat person, I've got two and half cats and then I've got two fish tanks going one with a black moor and an orange comet and another one with a mix of small schooling fish that can't be in with the goldfish or they'll get eaten.

I should probably mention that I really don't like dogs, I've met very few dogs that I haven't wanted to smash in the face with something heavy for one reason or another. Currently my neighbor has to of the yappiest dachshunds I've ever heard and I'd love to string them up by their own intestines.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I voted Zerglings because I am both a cat and a dog person. I approve of both species equally.

At the moment though my accomidations do not allow for me to have a dog, ergo I do not have a dog, but they allow me to have cats, ergo I have 4 cats.

lunavixen

Jan 2, 2012
I like both, though it depends on the breed and also rabbits and guinea pigs, we also have budgies.

Why is there not an option for both in the poll?

Raikas said:
although personally I'd still go with a rabbit over a cat in those situations since they're similarly clean (use a litterbox, lick their paws, etc) but still more of a social animal.
rabbits are not as clean as you think, mine had a litterbox, didn't use it and pooed everywhere, he is an outside bunny, extremely cute but by god he can fit and turn his food, I've never seen an animal so small eat and poo so much.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
cat person here--

nothing against most dogs. I find that bad dogs are much more reflective of the owner than the species. Cats are just plain super.

I do want a super slobbery bulldog to ride around in the back of our cooper, though...

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Abomination said:
Stryc9 said:
I'm a cat person, I've got two and HALF cats
Please explain how you have HALF a cat?

Like, what half?
To be clear he just kind of showed up one day, my best guess is that he belonged to an older person that died and some fucking prick relative dumped him off because they didn't want to deal with him. He's a massive Siamese, about twice the size of a healthy chihuahua and in the summer he spends most of his time outside and in the winter I suspect he'll want to spend more of his time inside again.

We don't really own him in the normal sense, we feed him and he sleeps in our basement and catches mice, moles, birds and the occasional squirrel, we get the benefit of having an outdoor cat that's not too stupid to be outdoors.

xWestie

Apr 13, 2010
Of the two I prefer dogs, but at the moment I'm very much into keeping snakes.
I don't have the time or money for a pet dog, whereas I've 3 snakes (and 2 other reptiles), and whilst you need to research them before you even think of keeping, they're pretty easy to look after. They may not be as social but they're interesting to keep.

theuprising

Jun 19, 2013
Lol, there was a study that showed that cats like more anti-social ppl, ppl that dogs generally aren't that happy with. Like they come towards ppl who are quiet, and don't make eye contact. So its no wonder the internet likes cats.

I am expecting a vehement defense by cat owners of what they very well know is true.