Poll: Are you dissapointed in the current generation of gamers?

Small Waves

Nov 14, 2009
I'm envious of them more so than disappointed. Games are becoming beginner friendly, while we, the children of the 80s and early 90s, were still forced to jump through hoops to beat the more "basic" must-have titles of the systems of yesteryear.

The children today are getting the learning curve that would have been really nice to have 16 years ago.

Sep 13, 2009
First off, what lexodus said.

Secondly, I don't particularily dislike the games nowadays, but I definitely don't like them. I prefer many of the older games, yes chances are that I've also found myself a pair of rose colored glasses. One of the things I miss most though is the lack of split-screen games. With everything being online there are few games that you can play with someone in the same room.

Paperplanes79

May 30, 2009
I'm actually quite proud of this generation of gamers. sure you have you bad side but i think the majority are forcing game developer into making better games. I mean look at even just last generation. How many games came out that were basically the equivalent to a b movie. Quick painful and no production value. Recently games have flourished into a strong story driven art form. Games like Uncharted 2, Assassin's Creed 2, ME2, DA:O, they used to be the exception not the rule. How many shitty games came out like you BMX XXX or your Malice ? These are now absent and I'm loving it! We have a strong title or multiple coming out once a month till at least april! I mean i would have killed for that back in the original Xbox days. No we and the industry have matured and i never want to go back.

Well it was us or the shitty economy..... lets just say it was us!

recoverytwo

Sep 27, 2009
Lexodus said:
'Gamers' who can fuck off and die:
-Anyone who classifies themselves as a 'hardcore gamer',
-Anyone who calls anyone else a 'non-gamer' or 'casual gamer' just because they don't have as big a gamerscore, have a different console, or have a life,
-Anyone who's forgotten that gaming is about HAVING FUN and not screaming insults about one's mother and simulating oral sex with another guy's corpse (which is both gay AND necrophilia in most games, and kinda sad and stupid),
-Anyone who spends waaay too long waaaay too often (like WoW addicts),
-Anyone who reckons Halo or any other of the generic FPSes floating around is the b3st g4m3 3VAR! and that anything else is 'for fags' or 'gay' etc., religiously screaming this at anyone who happens to be playing at the time,
-Anyone who uses '1337' or textspeak in real life,
-Fratboy gamers,
-Anyone who's all 'OMG the grafix suxors! This must be shit!'
-People who whine when they're killed. STFU and play the damn game or fuck off!
-And everyone else, because I'm in a pissy mood.

So, yeah.
I cant tell if you are joking or if you are being serious.

The Candyman

Jan 14, 2010
Short answer: Yes
Long answer: Absolutely
Gamers these days are too entertained my violence, tits, and gore. It makes me angry when I hear someone say GoW was the best game, I ask about something like Zelda or Jak and Daxter and they say it was boring. But that's what happens when games are targeted towards people with an IQ of 75.
Summary: I am dissapoint.

berault

Nov 5, 2009
The only thing i'm disappointed in is the elitist behaviour, I mean really? MLG? Seems a little over the top, Major League Gamers think they are the upper tier, when really they are exactly what playing a game is not about, by taking the fun out of something is runing the "game" aspect is it not? To me the whole thing is just ridiculous

Valdsator

May 7, 2009
I'm one from this generation, and for some odd reason I really enjoy old games. I get rather annoyed when all I hear my friends talk about is MW2 and maybe Uncharted 2. I mention Doom, "Lol doom had walls that face you." Wut?

I actually kind of hate COD now, I liked COD 2 a lot more. >.>

Lexodus

Apr 14, 2009
recoverytwo said:
Lexodus said:
'Gamers' who can fuck off and die:
-Anyone who classifies themselves as a 'hardcore gamer',
-Anyone who calls anyone else a 'non-gamer' or 'casual gamer' just because they don't have as big a gamerscore, have a different console, or have a life,
-Anyone who's forgotten that gaming is about HAVING FUN and not screaming insults about one's mother and simulating oral sex with another guy's corpse (which is both gay AND necrophilia in most games, and kinda sad and stupid),
-Anyone who spends waaay too long waaaay too often (like WoW addicts),
-Anyone who reckons Halo or any other of the generic FPSes floating around is the b3st g4m3 3VAR! and that anything else is 'for fags' or 'gay' etc., religiously screaming this at anyone who happens to be playing at the time,
-Anyone who uses '1337' or textspeak in real life,
-Fratboy gamers,
-Anyone who's all 'OMG the grafix suxors! This must be shit!'
-People who whine when they're killed. STFU and play the damn game or fuck off!
-And everyone else, because I'm in a pissy mood.

So, yeah.
I cant tell if you are joking or if you are being serious.
Why on Earth would I be joking?

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I don't care about the current generation of gamers. I rarely play online, so they don't really affect me.

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Ithae said:
I know I am. To them, and good game is a game with good graphics and multiplayer that lets them own other people. People join on the bandwagon to much. Call of Duty 4 was good, but not MW2, it was just a pile of COD4 with some more stuff thrown on it. I enjoy games likt Half-Life 2 and Team Fortress 2. (Yes, I am a valve fanboy) Anyway, what is your opinion?
Are you comparing the people who grew up on NES to those who grew up on N64 or even PS2? Thats like comparing Baby Boomers to Gen-Y. A game is what it is, and people like it for whatever. I love owning people, CoD4 or MW2. Every generation is going to be different. In a few years, the people you're talking about are going to be dissapointed by the 'current gen' of gamers because they'll be throwing themselves about a room to play the game. They'll say things like, "we played REAL games, with controllers." Like TF2, which owns.

Kingemoney

Dec 5, 2009
I think it's a little silly to be "disappointed" with the current generation of gamers...What's happened is very similar to what has happened to every other mass media format: Corporations who have more of an interest in making money have taken over from the creators who simply wanted a good product.

The corporations decide to make something that appeals to the masses, i.e. something that is simple, digestible, and shareable. The wonderful thing is, the more masses come to our media format, the more money there is to go around for the less mainstream titles. Sadly, things like Xbox Live are the unfortunate side effect.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
The gamers or games? If gamers, why on earth would I care what they think?

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
I am one.
Why should I be dissapointed?
I kinda missed the point of your post actually. So, liking Modern Warfare 2 makes me a dissapointing gamer? Why?
Yes, people jump on bandwagons but, hell, they always did that. I don't like Modern Warfare 2 just because everyone else does, I like it because it is a wonderful mixture of my favorite movie of all-time (The Rock) and my favorite game of all-time (Call Of Duty 4). Does that make me worse in any way?