Poll: Are you guys upgrading to windows 8 ?

Kevon Huggins

Jan 27, 2011
It recent rise of the constant hatred for the new OS i would like to know if anyone is considering to upgrade to it. A few months ago I demoed a version to my IT club in my school to very unsatisfying and confused faces. No one was willing to use it as it was an "abomination of windows" as a student said. So what are you guys doing with windows 8 if you get it on a new pc,
will you keep it or downgrade it and are you upgrading?

I also demoed it to some non-computer savvy personnel and the liked its ease of use and quick access quote end quote "Simplistic easy to use design that rivals my mac " as one said

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Wolverine18 said:
If I buy a new computer with Windoze 8 on it I will UPGRADE it to Win 7.
Awww, that came even faster than I thought it would.

OT: OP, I like the fact that there is a VM in the answers. I'll do just that - throw it on a VM and fiddle it there. I doubt I'll totally move over. Maybe after a while (and lots of determination) I'll promote that to a multiboot option but I seriously doubt Windows 8 would be so good to make me want it as a "proper" OS on my PC.

Rylingo

Aug 13, 2008
Nope. Got Windows 7 and was really pleased with it. Although I haven't looked into it much from a distance it looks like the bastardization of Windows 7 and a mobile phone interface. Not what I want. In fact, it looks inferior to Vista right now.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
Not only do I hate the idea of a closed off app store built into the operating system and detest the new interface and the decision to make it tablet focused, but I also have zero reason to upgrade from Windows 7.

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Bullshit I am. I don't want any of that glorified Windows Phone crap. Windows 7 is a cool enough anyways.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
Probably going to have to eventually when the only computers you can buy come with it, but I'll be trying to avoid it as much as possible.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Nah, Windows 7 works pretty well for me, so why should I?
captcha: high time.
I will not conform to your ideals, captcha!

Destal

Jul 8, 2009
I tried the consumer preview of it and absolutely hated it; none of it is intuitive.

Ardure

Nov 23, 2009
Destal said:
I tried the consumer preview of it and absolutely hated it; none of it is intuitive.
Microsoft has become less and less intuitive over the years in general. Using the old Microsoft Office is about 100x easier than using anything after 2003. They have gotten really good at hiding buttons and options from people who actually know what they are doing... which is anyone under the age of 70... actually that's not quite true... under the age of 90 is about right.

ElPatron

Jul 18, 2011
Nah, I'll use XP. I'm pretty sure I'm up to date, guise.

My main concern with 8 is that when I have any sort of problem I am not used to fix them. To me "Simplistic easy to use design that rivals my mac" translates to "We made it harder for you to mess around in case Windows fucks up, which - let's face it - will happen".

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
yeah.. i'd rather stick to vista.

yeah you heard me. vista.

I'm poor. I can't upgrade. If anything i'll upgrade to 7, but i'm not touching 8.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
DoPo said:
Wolverine18 said:
If I buy a new computer with Windoze 8 on it I will UPGRADE it to Win 7.
Awww, that came even faster than I thought it would.
Nawh! I wanted to get to that joke first! Oh well, I'll just have to make a "that's what she said!" joke and move on.

Supernova1138

Oct 24, 2011
Definitely not upgrading. The UI is horrible on Windows 8, and the other minor changes really aren't worthwhile in my opinion.

My system already boots fast enough with my SSD. I don't really need to access a lot of ISO images, and I already have third party software for that, and my desktop can handle Windows 7 without breaking a sweat, so the smaller footprint won't make any difference to me.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
No, I bought my pc parts last Christmas meaning I'm using Window 7 so why buy the upgrade right now? Beside I'm fine with Window 7 so I have no need to upgrade.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I've had it running in a VM on every personal machine ever since the public beta was available.

Fiddled with it at home, fiddled with it while commuting. I really tried hard to resist, but after little more than a week, I disabled "Metro" and replaced it with a third-party Start Menu replacement... had to do it twice, since Microsoft didn't like it and broke it pretty much obviously on purpose, just because.

I like the idea of Metro on phones and tablets, but so far I haven't owned any tablet for more than a couple of months, as I still cannot justify throwing money at a technology that's more hassle than a phone with little more purpose (especially the Apple-branded, locked down units) and less power and connectivity than pretty much even the cheapest netbook... leagues below any proper mobile computer.

So, since Microsoft decided to not give us a choice, we've had to make up our choice ourselves, and that choice is decidedly this: Skip Windows 8. Windows Vista was bad and broken, Windows 7 is pretty much perfect, Windows 8 isn't broken per se, but changing the game by shoving the soon to be renamed "Metro" in our faces AND taking away the Start Menu is a bit too much to be justifiable in any context, be it the home office, the proper office or just the tablet-powered graphics workstation or even the home cinema rig. None of those needs "Metro", none of those got a touch-screen, and the only touch-enabled screen I've implemented myself went into a bloody 20th Anniversary Macintosh from a thousand years ago.