Poll: Are you psyched for Dishonored?

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
I traded in a bunch of games to pre-order dishonored today, and spent some time watching the trailers and the Tales from Dunwall content on this site. And I am PSYCHED! I can't wait to jump into this grim but oddly compelling world of corruption and darkness. Mostly because I'll be doing so as a mystical time-stopping, body possessing, overwhelmingly badass assassin. Being a peasant would clearly suck... Anyways, thoughts on dishonored, are people excited, and if so, why? And if not, why not? I won't judge you for not sharing my enthusiasm.

Captcha: Top ten. I really hope it will be among the top 10 games of the year captcha, I really hope it will be.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'm completely indifferent to it at the moment, and actually haven't followed any details about it at all. A lot of people on the forums seem to be excited as all hell about it though so I'll have to look it out at some point.

GoaThief

Reinventing the Spiel
Feb 2, 2012
I voted yes as I'll probably put myself down for a pre-order (which I rarely do) but I'm not excited, looking forward to would be more apt.

Daget Sparrow

Oct 2, 2011
Brink betrayed me last year. I like what I see from Dishonored, but I'm playing it safe and waiting to see the reviews.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
Cautiously optimistic. Won't be a pre-order but if it's good and meets my requirements, first week purchase.

Nerexor

Mar 23, 2009
Metalhandkerchief said:
I never pre-order (dumbest consumer habit ever) but I'm about as psyched as I can be. Crossing my fingers to hear the game is finished and stable, and reviews find Arkane's promises being held.
Calling me dumb are you?! Just kidding. I have, admittedly, been burned by pre-orders in the past (I am an excitable sort when it comes to new releases), but since I was planning to ditch a number of games anyways I figured I'd dump them to the pre-order on this. Hopefully it isn't another L.A. Noire catastrophe...

The Madman

Dec 7, 2007
Pretty excited. Even if it only turns out to be mediocre it's still a style of game that I greatly enjoy and which is pretty damned rare these days. That said knowing the reputation of the games lead developers and the studio itself, Arkane, I've got high hopes.

Save us.A7X

Apr 15, 2009
Fairly psyched for it, yes. Got the special edition preordered on PS3(getting it cheaper than normal too as I had £10 worth of Game reward points spare). From what I've seen it has potential to be a great game so I hope I'm not disappointed.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Yeah, I'm getting it.

However, [Insert comment here regarding how ridiculously overpowered the protagonist is going to be.]

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Everything I've seen from the trailers and gameply footage makes me think this is going to be a game of the year winner. I havn't felt this sure about a game in a while, but I have to see some reviews first.
Zhukov said:
Yeah, I'm getting it.

However, [Insert comment here regarding how ridiculously overpowered the protagonist is going to be.]
I'm pretty sure they make him look overpowered in the footage so they have a lot of stuff to show off. I think you'll be nerfed in the actual game

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Shadowstar38 said:
Zhukov said:
I'm pretty sure they make him look overpowered in the footage so they have a lot of stuff to show off. I think you'll be nerfed in the actual game
Yeah... people keep saying that. Without any evidence whatsoever. Every bit of gameplay footage released so far, and there's been a fair bit, has featured a hilariously overpowered player character.

Calling it now: just the teleporting and possession mechanics alone are going to completely break the game.

Don't get me wrong, I like the setting and aesthetic and I think I'll have fun playing all stealthy, but I also think it's going to be an unbalanced cakewalk.

But hey, hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Anthraxus said:
Zhukov said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Zhukov said:
Yeah... people keep saying that. Without any evidence whatsoever. Every bit of gameplay footage released so far, and there's been a fair bit, has featured a hilariously overpowered player character.

Calling it now: just the teleporting and possession mechanics alone are going to completely break the game.

Don't get me wrong, I like the setting and aesthetic and I think I'll have fun playing all stealthy, but I also think it's going to be an unbalanced cakewalk.

But hey, hopefully I'll be proven wrong.
From what we've seen, I do agree with you. But how about just not using it ?
Yeah, I'll probably have to resort to doing that. I've done it in other games (eg. had to play Arkham City without using the hiding spots and half the gadgets to make it fun).

I think (not certain though) in Dishonored you purchase/upgrade abilities with skill points or something similar, so I can hopefully just never buy the overpowered ones.

Still, if the player has to handicap themselves beyond the difficulty settings, it does not speak well of the game's balance.

SajuukKhar

Sep 26, 2010
Zhukov said:
Still, if the player has to handicap themselves beyond the difficulty settings, it does not speak well of the game's balance.
Unless OFC the game was designed to make your character OP, at which point it speaks well of meeting a design goal, at that point it just becomes player preference if you like that kind of style or not.

Tahaneira

Social Justice Rogue
Feb 1, 2011
Verily.

Honestly, it almost doesn't matter to me if the gameplay is over-hyped. I love the setting, I love the layout, and I love the art. I can ignore bad gameplay easily if the story and setting intrigue me enough, and I'll be damned if I'm not intrigued.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
SajuukKhar said:
Zhukov said:
Unless OFC the game was designed to make your character OP, at which point it speaks well of meeting a design goal, at that point it just becomes player preference if you like that kind of style or not.
"Designing a character to be overpowered" strikes me as a borderline oxymoron. After all, the "over" part indicates that the subject is more powerful than is appropriate.

If they wanted to make a character OP, why not just give you a button that insta-kills everything in the room with no penalty? Because it would be dull, non-engaging and completely lacking in challenge. It would be like playing with all the cheats turned on. That's the impression I'm getting from Dishonored's gameplay.

Of course, that's an exaggerated example. No developer would actually be silly enough to implement something like tha... oh, Splinter Cell: Conviction. Well, uh... never mind.