Poll: Are you religious?

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Witty Name Here said:
orangeban said:
Well, to be fair on youtube I did make up the example about physics 101 guy, but I'm sure there's someone out there like it. I mean, you see it everywhere, those guys who do one lesson of economics and then start spouting theories on how to save the economy.

Anyway, I'd argue that it is the vast minority of atheists who believe in total rationalism. But hey, I like you religious guys, you're useful. Not least because if god does turn out to exist then we need someone to appease him and his rightous anger :p.
Aw, thanks for the compliment again, and I'm glad we have some Athiests in todays society, mostly because you guys help keep us from accusing Doctors as "Witches", not to mention considering how crazy Quantum Theory can be, by some weird turn of events you probably keep the universe from collapsing in on itself. XD
We should be a superhero duo! I prevent SCIENCE from destroying us all, and you prevent THE GODS from destroying us all! Together, we shall be a/theists!

TFielding

Apr 12, 2010
I'm gonna go with the pun answer. I'm A Theist.

Non Pun answer: I'm Christian but I don't take everything absolutely and I don't go to church because my parents aren't exactly the religious type.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
zehydra said:
I'm gonna be that guy and say "I'm not religious, but I'm spiritual".

Meaning, I don't like religion as an organization, but I follow a religious faith to an extent.
[HEADING=2]WHOO HOO!!! Spiritual and Faith High Five!!!

Yes I do believe in God and Jesus, but I think a good majority of religion is detrimental to the message being conveyed.[/HEADING]

So I'm not religious, but I do have faith in God

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
orangeban said:
Witty Name Here said:
orangeban said:
Well, to be fair on youtube I did make up the example about physics 101 guy, but I'm sure there's someone out there like it. I mean, you see it everywhere, those guys who do one lesson of economics and then start spouting theories on how to save the economy.

Anyway, I'd argue that it is the vast minority of atheists who believe in total rationalism. But hey, I like you religious guys, you're useful. Not least because if god does turn out to exist then we need someone to appease him and his rightous anger :p.
Aw, thanks for the compliment again, and I'm glad we have some Athiests in todays society, mostly because you guys help keep us from accusing Doctors as "Witches", not to mention considering how crazy Quantum Theory can be, by some weird turn of events you probably keep the universe from collapsing in on itself. XD
We should be a superhero duo! I prevent SCIENCE from destroying us all, and you prevent THE GODS from destroying us all! Together, we shall be a/theists!
.....I'm not going to lie. As a Christian I find that to be f*cking EPIC!!!!!

[HEADING=2]How Epic!?! Jesus teaming up with Stephen Hawkings EPIC!!![/HEADING]

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Witty Name Here said:
orangeban said:
Witty Name Here said:
orangeban said:

Yeah! The ultimate team up! And if we combine our powers we somehow summon Jesus Christ! ...With the mind of Richard Dawkins!

It's Brilliant!
Yes, and our villians are the evolutionary desencdants of reincarnations of Charles Darwin and Moses!

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Witty Name Here said:
I'm a practicing Roman Catholic, although I personally make it my duty to be more liberal then some of the Ultra Conservative nutters that you see in a lot of other christian religions.

My stance on it is this, Jesus talked more about who you should care about then who you should ostracize from society and treat horribly, he wanted us to love one another and treat others as we want to be treated, I'm pretty sure that he'd be willing to have a pleasant meal with an Athiest or Pagan or even Scientologist and not try to cram christianity down their throats.

I respect Athiestic and Agnostic beliefs (My dad's an agnostic), I can honestly say that both sides need each other, Athiests and Agnostics keep this world from falling into a theocratic crap sack where your rank in society depends on what you choose to believe and wars are waged at the drop of a hat, and Religions keep this world from falling into a "Total Reason" society where things are based more off of results rather then any form of morality or humanity.
Woah, woah wait. Hold up here. I followed you completely up until your last paragraph. I respect your right to believe in your religion, and really respect your liberal perspective of religion, but are you suggesting that atheists and agnostics are immoral or inhuman?

I'm an atheist and I have never been indoctrinated into any religion, but I think I'm a very moral person. I try to do what I think is the right thing to do. I obey the rules and the laws and I think that most of the time I'm a kind and caring human being. This also applies to most of my atheist friends. Sure there are some immoral douchebag atheists around, but there are more immoral douchebag religious people than immoral douchebag atheists (not saying that religion breeds immoral douchebags, just that statistically you are a much larger group so there are a higher number of said douchebags.)

I think that morality comes primarily as a societal factor and not so much as a religious one. Yes religion tends to reflect current societal morals, but no, they are not the source of them. At all. In fact, they tend to be slower at adopting societal morals than most of society. Morality, in my opinion, comes out of the necessity of living with other people, and if you treated every other human being like dirt, then society as a whole would not function. We need a certain level of respect to function as a society and these are taught to children by society, independentely of religion.

anyway, I respect your right to believe what you want about your religion, but I strongly disagree that religion is crucial to developing morality.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
MianusIzBleeding said:
Not at all
I often get called "strange" for what I believe to be true after watching a programme called "Ancient Aliens" on YouTube (Originally on the History Channel but they are all on YouTube for those interested).
Basically, there's mentions of UFOs in The Bible, on cave drawings, the Nasca Lines, religious paintings.
The most famous religious mention is something to do with Ezekiel in The Bible...Taken to the heavens (heaven is never referred to as a place, but merely the skies) by a light and what-not)

Also, people back then would have trouble explaining things they saw, so a light from out which steps a humanoid figure would probably become this:
"Man came from the skies but man can't fly"
The story of a man coming from the skies could therefore be mistaken for a man with wings
Perfect angel explanation.......Hard to verbalise it though :S

Fuck it, I'm rambling a bit
Hmm If I do remember, a few religions mentioned these angels coming down in flying machines of sorts.

Also the most famous one was how Elijah was carried off to heaven in a Chariot of Fire.
Interesting indeed. You may be on to something

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
For the most part; though I have no real religion that fits my views. I do attend a catholic church but I disagree with some of their teaching and methods. I am a christian but other than that, no one word or religious group fits my views.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
orangeban said:
Witty Name Here said:
orangeban said:
Witty Name Here said:
orangeban said:

Yeah! The ultimate team up! And if we combine our powers we somehow summon Jesus Christ! ...With the mind of Richard Dawkins!

It's Brilliant!
Yes, and our villians are the evolutionary desencdants of reincarnations of Charles Darwin and Moses!
Can we go with H.P. Lovecraft and a Descendant of Judas? I mean Charles Darwin may seem like an easy target, but in all honesty he's not something to shake a stick at. Smart fellow.
I say lovecraft mostly because he was the Brilliant Master of Horror and believed all religion to be bad and cultist. So why not? :D
Plus Judas sold out Jesus. You don't get more messed up than that.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Death God said:
For the most part; though I have no real religion that fits my views. I do attend a catholic church but I disagree with some of their teaching and methods. I am a christian but other than that, no one word or religious group fits my views.
Ah, sounds like you're Non-Denominational. Smart move.
In all honestly I like to stick to that.
Love God and Jesus, but for the love of Moses, religion as an organization boils my blood to no end.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Madara XIII said:
orangeban said:
Witty Name Here said:
orangeban said:
Witty Name Here said:
orangeban said:

It's Brilliant!
Can we go with H.P. Lovecraft and a Descendant of Judas? I mean Charles Darwin may seem like an easy target, but in all honesty he's not something to shake a stick at. Smart fellow.
I say lovecraft mostly because he was the Brilliant Master of Horror and believed all religion to be bad and cultist. So why not? :D
Yeah, good point, let's go with Judas and Lovecraft. Good combo there dude, nice going.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
samwd1 said:
define religious?

I believe in a god but none of the major religions

I rarely pray
Therefore you're not religious. A religious person is one who takes parts in the practices and rituals of their religion

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Nah, that whole idiotic money scam and testament to the gullibility of humanity isn't for me.
Macgyvercas said:
Sort of. I'm Catholic, but I don't blindly accept everything. If there is a policy or teaching I think is stupid or makes no sense, I will call them on it.
I don't understand this position. If you believe that The Bible is the word of God then what right do you have to disagree with it. If it's the work of a perfect divine being then it isn't wrong on anything. If The Bible's true then you'll be damned to Hell for having the audacity to put yourself before God and rewriting his most holy book to suit your whims.

I'm not a religious man, but if I was I'd be a fundamentalist. If I was a Christian I'd be in the WBC, if I was a Buddhist I'd be a monk, because those are the only intellectually tenable positions for a religious person. I don't see how you can disobey your God while still thinking that you follow Him and are in his good graces.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
orangeban said:
Madara XIII said:
orangeban said:
Witty Name Here said:
orangeban said:
Witty Name Here said:
orangeban said:

It's Brilliant!
Yeah, good point, let's go with Judas and Lovecraft. Good combo there dude, nice going.
Thank you kind sir. I just don't like to dismiss Darwin, while I do believe in God. I still believe in the ever present fact that evolution is real. Basically just the adaptation of species to their environment after an extended period of time. Have we not seen this many times before?
Either way it'd be an interesting concept to go for XD
After all if you read call of Cthulhu it reads more as a twisted and horrific version of the second coming of Jesus (Only this time Squid Jesus).
Crazed Fish Men worshiping their God and Cthulhu will serve as the messenger for their beliefs as he reawakens and rises to spread the word.
See? Squid Jesus

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
Iron Lightning said:
Nah, that whole idiotic money scam and testament to the gullibility of humanity isn't for me.
Macgyvercas said:
Sort of. I'm Catholic, but I don't blindly accept everything. If there is a policy or teaching I think is stupid or makes no sense, I will call them on it.
I don't understand this position. If you believe that The Bible is the word of God then what right do you have to disagree with it. If it's the work of a perfect divine being then it isn't wrong on anything. If The Bible's true then you'll be damned to Hell for having the audacity to put yourself before God and rewriting his most holy book to suit your whims.

I'm not a religious man, but if I was I'd be a fundamentalist. If I was a Christian I'd be in the WBC, if I was a Buddhist I'd be a monk, because those are the only intellectually tenable positions for a religious person. I don't see how you can disobey your God while still thinking that you follow Him and are in his good graces.
If you were a fundamentalist you'd be a hypocrite anyway, because most religious texts are very contradictory of their own writings.