Poll: Are you religious?

starslasher

May 21, 2011
i'd say that i'm moderately religious. if i was to rate my religiosity on a scale of 1 to 10, i'm about a 6, maybe 7. my family is overall liberal, and i'm probably the second most religious in my family, my mom is more so.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Iron Lightning said:
Nah, that whole idiotic money scam and testament to the gullibility of humanity isn't for me.
Macgyvercas said:
Sort of. I'm Catholic, but I don't blindly accept everything. If there is a policy or teaching I think is stupid or makes no sense, I will call them on it.
I don't understand this position. If you believe that The Bible is the word of God then what right do you have to disagree with it. If it's the work of a perfect divine being then it isn't wrong on anything. If The Bible's true then you'll be damned to Hell for having the audacity to put yourself before God and rewriting his most holy book to suit your whims.

I'm not a religious man, but if I was I'd be a fundamentalist. If I was a Christian I'd be in the WBC, if I was a Buddhist I'd be a monk, because those are the only intellectually tenable positions for a religious person. I don't see how you can disobey your God while still thinking that you follow Him and are in his good graces.
Well, the thing is the The Bible (what is that? Scare italics? Is that a thing?) is not only a religious book, it's also a political book that reflects the views of the people of the time. Therefore, some things in it can be taken with a pinch of salt. For example, Leviticus. Also, the Romans cut out a lot of chapters in order to fit their own beliefs

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Iron Lightning said:
Nah, that whole idiotic money scam and testament to the gullibility of humanity isn't for me.
Macgyvercas said:
Sort of. I'm Catholic, but I don't blindly accept everything. If there is a policy or teaching I think is stupid or makes no sense, I will call them on it.
I don't understand this position. If you believe that The Bible is the word of God then what right do you have to disagree with it. If it's the work of a perfect divine being then it isn't wrong on anything. If The Bible's true then you'll be damned to Hell for having the audacity to put yourself before God and rewriting his most holy book to suit your whims.

I'm not a religious man, but if I was I'd be a fundamentalist. If I was a Christian I'd be in the WBC, if I was a Buddhist I'd be a monk, because those are the only intellectually tenable positions for a religious person. I don't see how you can disobey your God while still thinking that you follow Him and are in his good graces.
I think he takes that position because the Bible was written by man who was told to write down Gods word. Well after a few thousand years, that word could easily be misinterpreted, changed around and even have some books edited out of the current version of whatever religious texts there are.
He's not going against God, but merely his religions interpretation of his sacred text.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
Madara XIII said:
orangeban said:
Madara XIII said:
orangeban said:
Witty Name Here said:
orangeban said:
Witty Name Here said:
orangeban said:
Well, to be fair on youtube I did make up the example about physics 101 guy, but I'm sure there's someone out there like it. I mean, you see it everywhere, those guys who do one lesson of economics and then start spouting theories on how to save the economy.

Anyway, I'd argue that it is the vast minority of atheists who believe in total rationalism. But hey, I like you religious guys, you're useful. Not least because if god does turn out to exist then we need someone to appease him and his rightous anger :p.
Aw, thanks for the compliment again, and I'm glad we have some Athiests in todays society, mostly because you guys help keep us from accusing Doctors as "Witches", not to mention considering how crazy Quantum Theory can be, by some weird turn of events you probably keep the universe from collapsing in on itself. XD
We should be a superhero duo! I prevent SCIENCE from destroying us all, and you prevent THE GODS from destroying us all! Together, we shall be a/theists!
Yeah! The ultimate team up! And if we combine our powers we somehow summon Jesus Christ! ...With the mind of Richard Dawkins!

It's Brilliant!
Yes, and our villians are the evolutionary desencdants of reincarnations of Charles Darwin and Moses!
Can we go with H.P. Lovecraft and a Descendant of Judas? I mean Charles Darwin may seem like an easy target, but in all honesty he's not something to shake a stick at. Smart fellow.
I say lovecraft mostly because he was the Brilliant Master of Horror and believed all religion to be bad and cultist. So why not? :D
Plus Judas sold out Jesus. You don't get more messed up than that.
Yeah, good point, let's go with Judas and Lovecraft. Good combo there dude, nice going.
Thank you kind sir. I just don't like to dismiss Darwin, while I do believe in God. I still believe in the ever present fact that evolution is real. Basically just the adaptation of species to their environment after an extended period of time. Have we not seen this many times before?
Either way it'd be an interesting concept to go for XD
After all if you read call of Cthulhu it reads more as a twisted and horrific version of the second coming of Jesus (Only this time Squid Jesus).
Crazed Fish Men worshiping their God and Cthulhu will serve as the messenger for their beliefs as he reawakens and rises to spread the word.
See? Squid Jesus
Yeah, I couldn't think of any "bad guys" at the time of writing, but you seem to have that covered.

Maybe for the second season of our (presumably) long running franchise we should get new villians. Lucifer and... hmmm... dunno, Freud? Hmm, probably not. Hang on, I'll get it... damn this is tricky, how about Stalin? He was an atheist. Yeah, he'll do.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Yes, *puts anti troll armor on* I am religious. I am a Christian....my father is a Baptist and my mother is Methodist.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Skullkid4187 said:
Yes, *puts anti troll armor on* I am religious. I am a Christian....my father is a Baptist and my mother is Methodist.
*Pats on the back* No need to fear good sir. While I myself am not a very religious Christian I still admire your faith and your will to practice and get involved with your fellowship......just as long as you're not from the Westboro Baptist Church....you're not from there right!?

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
Madara XIII said:
Death God said:
For the most part; though I have no real religion that fits my views. I do attend a catholic church but I disagree with some of their teaching and methods. I am a christian but other than that, no one word or religious group fits my views.
Ah, sounds like you're Non-Denominational. Smart move.
In all honestly I like to stick to that.
Love God and Jesus, but for the love of Moses, religion as an organization boils my blood to no end.
I know, right? One religion says some bible quote means that their church is the true one, and others say that that quote isn't part of their bible and this is what theirs says. It all seems just a bit too phony for mortal man to know which religion is true and which ones are false.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
Zetion said:
MianusIzBleeding said:
Not at all
I often get called "strange" for what I believe to be true after watching a programme called "Ancient Aliens" on YouTube (Originally on the History Channel but they are all on YouTube for those interested).
Basically, there's mentions of UFOs in The Bible, on cave drawings, the Nasca Lines, religious paintings.
The most famous religious mention is something to do with Ezekiel in The Bible...Taken to the heavens (heaven is never referred to as a place, but merely the skies) by a light and what-not)

Also, people back then would have trouble explaining things they saw, so a light from out which steps a humanoid figure would probably become this:
"Man came from the skies but man can't fly"
The story of a man coming from the skies could therefore be mistaken for a man with wings
Perfect angel explanation.......Hard to verbalise it though :S

Fuck it, I'm rambling a bit
And that's how Equestria was made.

O____O ME GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUSTAAAA!!
Seriously Pinkie Pie is the all time best I mean no one, NO ONE can top Pinkie Pie!!
*Slaps self*

Sorry, Brony moment.

orangeban

Nov 27, 2009
MianusIzBleeding said:
Madara XIII said:
MianusIzBleeding said:
Not at all
I often get called "strange" for what I believe to be true after watching a programme called "Ancient Aliens" on YouTube (Originally on the History Channel but they are all on YouTube for those interested).
Basically, there's mentions of UFOs in The Bible, on cave drawings, the Nasca Lines, religious paintings.
The most famous religious mention is something to do with Ezekiel in The Bible...Taken to the heavens (heaven is never referred to as a place, but merely the skies) by a light and what-not)

Also, people back then would have trouble explaining things they saw, so a light from out which steps a humanoid figure would probably become this:
The story of a man coming from the skies could therefore be mistaken for a man with wings

Hmm If I do remember, a few religions mentioned these angels coming down in flying machines of sorts.

Also the most famous one was how Elijah was carried off to heaven in a Chariot of Fire.
Interesting indeed. You may be on to something
It also explains the missing link too. "God" created us in his own image by the "ancient alien" theory means we were created by E.Ts. Ever wondered why we made such a huge evolutionary leap? Well, there you have it. Possibility of interplanetary breeding
We won't find the "missing link" on this planet, I guarantee you
But there is no "missing link" that's the point of evolution. Every generation has a tiny change that over thousands of years the species as a whole changes. I mean, not to discredit your view, as an agnostic I admit that it is in fact a possibility and I will not deny it. But I am not agnostic about evolution.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
MianusIzBleeding said:
Madara XIII said:
MianusIzBleeding said:
Not at all

Hmm If I do remember, a few religions mentioned these angels coming down in flying machines of sorts.

Also the most famous one was how Elijah was carried off to heaven in a Chariot of Fire.
Interesting indeed. You may be on to something
It also explains the missing link too. "God" created us in his own image by the "ancient alien" theory means we were created by E.Ts. Ever wondered why we made such a huge evolutionary leap? Well, there you have it. Possibility of interplanetary breeding
We won't find the "missing link" on this planet, I guarantee you

Another religious example:
The Virgin Mary...Only way pregnancy is possible without intercourse is artificial insemination. Look at the "gifts" the resulting child had.....
Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh

Gold symbolized that he was the God of this World
Frankincense symbolized that he would be Resurrected
and Myrrh symbolized him to be God above as well.

YourMom

Nov 20, 2009
Henkie36 said:
Nope. Science makes a lot more sense to me then saying ''it's some dude who's looking down upon us''. I just don't buy it.
Atheism has nothing to do with science, its just not believing in a god.

RickRoll

Aug 4, 2009
I think going to either extreme (Religious or Atheist) is incorrect, because both views are rooted in a person having a definite and certain belief about the afterlife and meaning of life and such without any legitimate evidence backing up said beliefs. The bottom-line is, and this is unarguable, we simply DON'T KNOW! I'm Agnostic because I don't want to jump to either extreme conclusion without any truly legitimate evidence to back up either side; instead I'd rather just keep an open mind to either possibility that there either could be a higher power behind our existence or that everything could just be a bizarre product of scientific wonderment and evolution.