Poll: At what age does liking video games become sad?

Nanaki316

Oct 23, 2009
As long as it's something you enjoy doing and it doesn't impact your life in a bad way then it's never sad to like video games at any age.

I'm almost 23 and I know I'll always be a gamer girl at heart.
My mum is almost 50 and still loves the Resident Evil series.
An ex guildy in WoW of mine was 63 *shrugs*

If someone tells you you're a loser for liking video games at a certain age then that person is clearly a bellend.

VargRaev

May 13, 2009
Games are for children and you should feel ashamed!

Problem?

okay, in all seriousness, you are NEVER too old to play video games!

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
This is an old attitude that our baby-boomer parents/grandparents came up with when gaming was new. It's for gen x and onward no different than any other kind of hobby.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
I've had multiple teachers and professors who play video games. Matter of fact in my speech class not too long ago, my prof gave us a test of our ability to make decisions in a group...by asking how we would survive the zombie apocalypse!

His exact words were "This is more of a Dead Rising scenario than Left 4 Dead."

cannot_aim

Dec 18, 2008
It never becomes lame to like video games, my dad whos in his 50's still plays games and I think thats awesome.

Video games are evolving and spreading outwards, eventually video games will be as widespread as TV and movies and no one will ever ask this question ever again.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Gotta love how at least 20 people on the forum for a gaming magazine think that liking games is pathetic. Trollers be trolling indeed.

No hobby is "sad" until it's taken too far[footnote]Even then, if it's something you love then don't let the haters stop you[/footnote]. And I wouldn't use the word "sad" anyway, it doesn't even make sense. No-one's really upset that someone else has an obsession, and if they were to point it out then that would indicate that they were mocking them more than feeling sincere sympathy.

rutger5000

Oct 19, 2010
As with pretty much everything: It isn't what you do that makes you said, but how you do it and why.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
It's never lame to play video games, one can play them until they are 80 years old for all I care. I probably will.

I still am very fond of things such as Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh which some view as being "childrens games" as well, but I could really not care less. I like them, I get enjoyment out of them, they serve their purpose well. End of story.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
Loving the poll results :D

Nah it truely is never ever too late to like videogames, my dad is 52 and he still loves playing video games.

My grand dad even has a copy of warcraft 3 and likes to go terran up some orcs on the human campaigns, and hes nearly 80.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
JaysonM said:
Dreiko said:
JaysonM said:
Dreiko said:
The fact that you list sex as though it somehow it's supposed to make games lame tells me you're immature. That's only something someone who doesn't understand games (and is probably drunk most of the time) would say.
Actually no, I listed it because alot of people say most video gamers haven't experienced it and is thus the reason why they play video games.

I do understand the fascination about video games, infact I mentioned multiple times in my post how I'm the only one in my social group who still enjoys video games and how it makes me sad..
Who are these "a lot of people" exactly?

I'm beginning to question your choice-making skills in relation to the company you keep lol.

I know what you mentioned, it doesn't undo the subsequent mention of sex as the key item to be ridden of "the geek virus" or something along those lines. The fact that you would take such ridiculous of a mindset seriously enough to post about it is the problem I'm having here.
Actually, I have many friends who have changed their whole lives after having sex. You would be quite surprised at how much of an impact it can have on 20 year old virgins..

And as to the "alot of people", I meant society in general. Sure maybe the word "Sex" was the wrong term to use, perhaps I should of mentioned the word "girls" in general. People can say "Derp derp do what you love" but originally I was wondering if it was normal for older people to enjoy video games, especially as everyone around me seem to be evolving out of video games. That perhaps led me feel to feel a bit insecure making me think I was some kind of "Man Child". Sure, I'm going to keep playing video games, but I still care what other people think of me, and if playing video games makes me more of a loser to the general populus, then perhaps I will keep my hobby a bit more confidential.

Perhaps this forum is full of "Man Children", and all I capture are glimpses of people being bias. I aint saying it is, but I bet you the poll I posted up would consist of "ALOT" more variation if I posted on more of an anonomous public forum.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind posting these kind of messages on video games forums, but receiving responses like "You are derp derp immature because you said the sex word derp" is immature itself. I find sex a large part of life, and a majority of society find it a large part of theirs to, important to the extent where performing sexual acts can have a huge impact of what we do in life..
They probably were weak individuals with no sense of identity then.

"Relationships" is the word, not "girls". Yes, relationships can affect your gaming, the same goes for everything else you do though. Some people simply choose to not have relationships with women who don't partake in their hobbies, some people choose to have relationships where gaming is a main way of entertainment for both partners. You're outright disregarding those people in favor of the random non-gamer who understands nothing. That's infinitely more biased against gaming than having a lot of people who partake in an art form with multiple 18+ rated games say that it's not sad to play games no matter your age.

Sex is a part of relationships, of love, it is NOT the foundation or the core of it, sex without true affection is elaborate masturbation and nothing more, for it to be the center of your life is sadder than having gaming be it since games do not exclude love while if you're a man-whore you'll never get the real meaning of closeness until you're change AND you're missing out on a lot of awesome games.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Age shouldn't change the fact that you like games or not.

It's a simple matter to solve,either you like to play them or not,it's that simple.Being 50+ or not doesn't change nothing.

PurplePlatypus

Duel shield wielder
Jul 8, 2010
At what age does enjoying, having fun, or generally deriving entertainment from <insert form of media that isn?t inherently aimed at any particular age group> become sad?

chipfizz

Jul 15, 2009
Vidio games if done right can tell a story just like a movie. Look at heavy rain for example. I know for a fact that this is like a movie and anyone who likes that kind of thing will get a kick out of it so in short you can never to to old to love something you love.

Onomatopeia

Aug 11, 2008
Trick Question - It never becomes sad. My 76 year old Grandmother still plays point-and-click adventure games and RPG's such as Never Winter Nights. As long as it is a balanced aspect of your life and never becomes a detrimental activity, there is nothing sad about videogaming at any age.

wizard_joe88

Nov 12, 2010
badgersprite said:
The same age it becomes sad and losery to have fun and have your own personality.
you just won a prize for that!
OT, if you think something is fun, don't let your age(or what others think about your hobby)stop you from doing something if you like it.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Counter-question: at what age does it become sad to enjoy movies or books?
...the answer is the same in all cases...