Poll: Avatar Discrimination

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
Do you think there's some level of discrimination on forums towards those without custom avatars? (Assuming the forum allows avatars) Do you think people with avatars sometimes look down on someone with a generic one? Like that person is a "noob" or just someone passing through that doesn't deserve your time?

(This is only a half serious topic so don't take it too seriously.)

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
Well as far as I have seen here (since this is the only forum I really post on) I don't think people discriminate that much on people based on their avatar. Now I do see the odd person say they don't like .gif avatars or they don't like people with MLP avatars. But on the whole I don't really see discrimination against people based on their avatar. Personally if you have an interesting avatar (custom or not) it will catch my eye and I may stop to read the post if not then I won't hold it against them.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
staika said:
Your avatar no longer tells me how I'm going to die.

OT: Well, I'm not one to say it definitely doesn't happen, but I think it would have to depend on how you define "discrimination" in this context. I get a little annoyed when I see faceless avatar after faceless avatar in threads, but it's not going to distract me from giving someone's post attention or thought.

I do like when people find a theme and stick with it, or just keep one avatar consistently. It helps me immediately recognize them in threads.

staika

Aug 3, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
staika said:
Do not worry it will return soon. I just changed it to this to mess with people and to change things up. I used to change my avatar all the time so it's a little hard to keep the same avatar for so long for me. But it will be back because it must return, the people demand it!

Dec 14, 2009
I personally think that anyone without a custom smithed avatar, is a blight upon this forum, and should be treated as the pox ridden lechers they are.

Put them in the salt mines.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
staika said:
shrekfan246 said:
staika said:
Do not worry it will return soon. I just changed it to this to mess with people and to change things up. I used to change my avatar all the time so it's a little hard to keep the same avatar for so long for me. But it will be back because it must return, the people demand it!
I bet you were expecting everyone to suddenly no longer recognize you.

But I saw through your disguise!

J-Pop always discovers the truth in the end.

staika

Aug 3, 2009
shrekfan246 said:
staika said:
shrekfan246 said:
staika said:
I bet you were expecting everyone to suddenly no longer recognize you.

But I saw through your disguise!

J-Pop always discovers the truth in the end.
Maybe I was but it seems that it didn't work. Curse you and your J-Pop! It must have been the username, it is unique enough that it's noticeable to people.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
The closest I've seen to avatar discrimination is people calling out and insulting those with MLP avatars. But that's a small minority, and they're quickly gone from the forums after that.

Otherwise, I wouldn't say so at all.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
I admit I recognize people based on their avatars so if someone changes theirs after they've used it for a long time I have no idea who they are. Do I think people get treated negatively because of their avatar? Only time I've seen it was when a lot of people were using the generic "no avatar" avatar and people created threads to complain about it, telling people to set their avatars. I set mine as the one those threads complained about as a response.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
I get a little annoyed if I see a whole bunch of the basic avatars, but it doesn't bother me that much.

What bothers me is when people like LACKTHEKNACK decided to change the greatest avatar in existence to something boring!

I don't see any discrimination comin' my way though. I'm purely sticking to SAO avatars, so the only reason it would be discriminated against is if they hated SAO and NO ONE can hate SAO.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Elfgore said:
I get a little annoyed if I see a whole bunch of the basic avatars, but it doesn't bother me that much.

What bothers me is when people like LACKTHEKNACK decided to change the greatest avatar in existence to something boring!

I don't see any discrimination comin' my way though. I'm purely sticking to SAO avatars, so the only reason it would be discriminated against is if they hated SAO and NO ONE can hate SAO.
This boring avatar will have a baffling payoff, don't you worry.

And then things may go back to normal, I haven't decided yet.

OT: I don't think people discriminate by avatar. I think they remember people by avatar, and may have attached feelings when they meet someone else with the same avatar, but not actual "I hate this avatar" discrimination.

Well, for the most part. Apparently, someone has me on their ignore list for avatar-related reasons. ;__;

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
One time someone implied I was a Microsoft shill for using my Xbox Live pic, other than that I haven't heard anything so if anyone hates it they at least do it quietly.

I'm just lazy, very very lazy.

Marter

Elite Member
Legacy
Oct 27, 2009
Yes. There is discrimination. I've seen posts and had to pass judgement on posts in which people say things like, "Yeah, well I'm not going to take anyone who has [insert thing, usually pony related] as an avatar seriously."

As for me personally, I don't discriminate, and the only times I think I get judged by mine is when people assume I'm a girl.

Dec 14, 2009
Marter said:
Yes. There is discrimination. I've seen posts and had to pass judgement on posts in which people say things like, "Yeah, well I'm not going to take anyone who has [insert thing, usually pony related] as an avatar seriously."

As for me personally, I don't discriminate, and the only times I think I get judged by mine is when people assume I'm a girl.
Wait, you're not a girl?

[HEADING=1]Parker you're fired![/HEADING]

[sub][sub]Inside jokes, yaaaaaaay.[/sub][/sub]

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Soviet Heavy said:
My avatar speaks for itself when it comes to discrimination and conspiracy theories.
It's funny because I find your avatar is an appropriate response to a LOT of things around here.
If I might ask, what's it from?

OT: Not sure really. I never have. It's no more or less important than the post count I imagine.
That said no one discriminates against Abbath, else I go to their residence, rap loudly on the front door and when they open it I strike silly poses with exaggerated faces on their lawn.

BartyMae

Apr 20, 2012
It depends. Most, I don't pay attention to. They're just a way I can more easily distinguish users. I miiight discriminate a little depending on the actual content, but I can't really think of anything that's allowed on the Escapist that would make me do so.