Poll: Avatar Discrimination

CrazyCapnMorgan

Is not insane, just crazy >:)
Jan 5, 2011
Evil Smurf said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
I generally get asked about the origins of my avatar, but that's about it.

So no, as far as I'm concerned, there's little to no discrimination with avatars. Though, certain custom avatars make it easier to recognize some posters faster, like that Evil Smurf dude.
My avatar was designed to be both diabetes inducing cute and recognisable. I'm glad it's working.
Dunno about the whole diabetes thing, but I am a bit overweight. Probably from staring at the cuteness of your avatar for so long.

So, thanks for that, I guess. (-.-)

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
i never experienced discrimination due to avatars and i dont think people in general do. I do dislike .gif avatars and in cases of person ahving same avatar for 3 years then suddenly changing it usually takes me some time to reoganize my thoughs because i often remember person by thier avatars. However that does not mean i discriminate people for it. Just beucase you have a annoying .gif avatar of Germany propaganda minister[footnote]Real case, one person i argued with for couple weeks in another forum has Joseph Goebbels [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Goebbels] as their avatar.[/footnote] for avatar does not mean im going to treat them differently.

Akisa

Jan 7, 2010
staika said:
shrekfan246 said:
staika said:
Your avatar no longer tells me how I'm going to die.
Do not worry it will return soon. I just changed it to this to mess with people and to change things up. I used to change my avatar all the time so it's a little hard to keep the same avatar for so long for me. But it will be back because it must return, the people demand it!
Eppp I'm studying Computer Science in hopes of getting into game design, and I got your Avatar on EA.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I can't really say I have seen any discrimination based on people's avatars, nor have I experienced any discrimination based on my avatar.

GeneralBigG

Environmentalist Clarksonian
Jun 26, 2012
Never noticed any such thing on Escapist. I personally tend to be a bit more wary of people with the default avatar, just because the spambots/trolls tend to have it, but I will still read their post.

The hue-filled gifs I don't like. They make me feel funny. But that's probably just "smoking" too much, they give me flashbacks.... :D

Loop Stricken said:
I don't know about discrimination, but I have a slight propensity to use avatars of one specific bunny-girl and whenever someone PMs me saying that they recognise it, I can at least say to myself "you, there's another pervert".

Really I'm just posting this to lure more saps into said trap.
DAMN IT MAN!

......Is what I WOULD say, IF I recognised that picture.

Which I most certainly don't.

<__>

>_<

No, siree.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
It wouldn't surprise me if my avi makes people think I am being more aggressive than I actually am.

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
For some strange reason, I always find myself judging the tone of someone's post based on the expression their avatar has. Its why I changed mine a few months ago to a more, "pleasant" expression. Otherwise avatars are the only way I recognize a user. I do occasionally judge users by their join date and post count. I'm always curious when people join cause it seems to happen during a specific time of the year (semester just started) or during an event (the xb1 unveiling) and I'm curious as to whether or not they're here just to argue or start one thread then leave or if they've just been long time lurkers

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
PoolCleaningRobot said:
For some strange reason, I always find myself judging the tone of someone's post based on the expression their avatar has.
MY LOVE IS LIKE A TRUCK, BERSERKER!

Thanks for this mental image. Now I'm going to picture everything I'm posting as some mad angry bastard screaming at the viewer. Perhaps a slight wookie rambling.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Going by the comments in this thread, it would seem that MLP avatars are the most discriminated against.

I've noticed hardly anyone uses MLP avatars anymore. Maybe that's the reason why...

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I look at your words, not your picture. I've seen very logical and thoughtful posts from people with ridiculous Pinkie Pie avatars.

TheMigrantSoldier

Nov 12, 2010
I have an easier time identifying someone by avatar rather than name. So yes, in a way.

Abomination said:
PoolCleaningRobot said:
For some strange reason, I always find myself judging the tone of someone's post based on the expression their avatar has.
MY LOVE IS LIKE A TRUCK, BERSERKER!
Included in the Extended Edition?

Qwurty2.0

Apr 21, 2011
I identify people by their avatars, for the most part. People with unique and interesting avatars send a message that they are interesting and unique.

It's just like real life. You don't identify your friend by his writing style, the way he walks, or even how he talks (most of the time). You identify him by sight, and you associate that image (his face) with his personality. Same with the forums, you associate the person's avatar with their posts and personality.

It gives people something solid and "real" to look at.