Poll: Batman v. Superman, or Captain America 3?

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
All of the BvS promo material has been grey and rainy. I live in Britain, ain't nobody got time for that.

Cap 3 for me.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Papadam said:
You actually don't see why anyone not from America would think a hero called Captain America is silly?
Your comparisons has no relevance to what I was talking about.

But on the other hand, Im from Sweden and think Thor is equally stupid as a super hero. ;)
But that's kinda the point of Cap - that he encompasses all of the virtues that the USA believes it has, and yet he clashes so hard with the reality of the USA. Given how deep the influence of the USA is in all of Western/Northern Europe, I'd be surprised if you couldn't appreciate the theme at least on some level.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
The last 2 captain america movies were great so i'll go with this one. As for superman, i never liked him, hes dull, overpowered and his only natural enemy is a rock and still he manages to not win instantly. Batman movies were never that good, except for the last 3, so i'm really not expecting much from this combination.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
Papadam said:
Papadam said:
Im not from the US so to me Captain America is just a really stupid hero.

And I actually enjoyed Man of steel more than any Marvel movie Ive seen.
I don't see whats so great about the Avengers and whats so bad about MoS.
You actually don't see why anyone not from America would think a hero called Captain America is silly?
Your comparisons has no relevance to what I was talking about.

But on the other hand, Im from Sweden and think Thor is equally stupid as a super hero. ;)
There is a lot of historical context behind both Capt. America & Superman that lends to their very specific and iconic natures. And while yes, no country has as iconic an analog of Capt. America, the reasons his imagery is powerful and meaningful to many is really indisputable.

Think about it in context:

Superman was created in the years leading up to WWII by two Jewish men who were subject to the influence Nazi philosophies had in impacting their families. The original concept of Superman was that of a VILLAIN based on the ideas laid forth by Nietzsche. While the character was redesigned as a hero, early publications suggest he was morally dubious, though he would, over time, achieve the "boy-scout" demeanor we've come to expect of him. (MOS seems to reflect more of his original moral dubiousness IMO, but that is "the product", not "the character".)

Then WWII happens.

Captain America appears. Not an "alien" "super man" but an average American patriot with below ordinary strength transformed into the ideal of the human (again not "superhuman") condition.
And in his first public image ever he is PUNCHING HITLER IN THE FACE!
That resonates. It's powerful. It's rallying. No matter how silly anyone thinks of it now, it had, and perhaps still has, definitive and significant meaning.

Understand that, on balance, I'm not a huge Captain America fan. I own maybe 3 issues of the title. But for you, Papadam, to say he's "just a really stupid hero" with no real context dismisses quite a lot and unfairly. Sweden managed to maintain their overall neutrality throughout WWII, so it could be understandable if the meaning of Captain America in other cultures doesn't impact you quite the same way. I, however, claim no knowledge of your personal experiences with regard to that.
But there IS meaning to the character that is FAR from "stupid" and perhaps that's why he still exists in our media today.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I would much rather see Captain America over Batman vs Superman as I find Superman to be the most boring superhero out there and I used to like Batman until I felt that we have been oversaturated with Batman imagery, but I have found many of the Marvel films to be very enjoyable, and I am looking forward to seeing Guardians of the Galaxy next week when I don't have to work.

SeeDarkly_Xero

Jan 24, 2014
On the other hand....
This topic has become an entire non-issue. And I was right.
DC Blinks First: Batman v Superman Won't Compete with Captain America 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/136682-DC-Blinks-First-Batman-v-Superman-Wont-Compete-with-Captain-America-3?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=share&utm_campaign=all]

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Cap 3. Because the winter soldier was amazing.

Batman Vs Super Vs cameos of the rest has not piqued my interest at all.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Well, let's see. I've actually seen both Captain America movies while I've yet to squeeze 'Man of Steel' into my busy (/sarcasm) schedule. I've yet to do so because the movies looks awful and everything I've heard about it would seem to suggest that that impression is about right. Until DC/Warner can come up with decent movies on a consistent basis I'm very much in wait and see mode for anything they do. Doubly so when they're dumb enough to subtitle one of their movies 'Dawn of Justi....bwahahahaha. Can't take that shit seriously.

That said, on a more serious note I (via highly scientific method) concluded that for their respective theatrical runs that Marvel is kicking DC/Warner's teeth in. Since coming under the ownership of Disney (2009) even the worst Marvel Studios movies (IMO take your pick between Iron Man 2 and The Incredible Hulk) wouldn't crack the bottom five of shit that DC/Warner have put out since their merger (1989). Further if I was constructing a 'Best of' list for DCs movies it would mostly consist of their animated movies (which they're actually pretty good at).