Poll: Battlestar vs. Stargate

thevillageidiot13

Sep 9, 2009
My girlfriend and I want to start a new show. I'm ashamed to say that I've never seen either, as I've always been an old-school Star Wars (and occasionally Star Trek) man myself.

The question is simply enough. Thanks.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
BSG is co-written by one of the writers from Star Trek TNG. It's also fucking amazing.

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
I gotta vote Battlestar Galactica.... Stargate had a cool story but the filmography just didn't do it for me for some reason.

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Battlestar Galactica is nice and all, but it kinda went off the deep end later...

Stargate SG-1 has a much higher ratio of good episodes to bad ones, IMO, even after accounting for my dislike of the entire Ori arc (seasons 9, 10, and one of the movies). I'd choose it over BSG if I had to choose just one.

Stargate Atlantis is not as good as SG-1 IMO, but still decent. I'd very likely choose it over BSG, but it'd be a tougher choice.

Stargate Universe I pretty much despise. I'd take BSG over SGU any day. SGU is actually pretty much a cross between BSG and SGU. A deformed bastard child, if you will. And it's terrible.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
My wife has fallen in love with stargate. We're watching it... now... actually.
She finds battlestar ridiculous. Battlestar will most likely win any heads up poll.

Stargate is a little hokey, but quite darling.

Personally, I was just really getting into universe when they canned it.

BrailleOperatic

Jul 7, 2010
Why are there two Battlestar options but only one Stargate? Methinks I smell a bias.

OT: I like Starge: SG-1 better.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
Battlestar Galactica (and Caprica, for that matter) are both amazing. I'm sad Caprica only got the one season. I'll confess that I didn't actually find myself really getting into it until about the last two episodes, but that finale was so good it left me wishing for another season. It actually raised a good number of questions, more than it really answered about the origins of BSG.

As for the main show itself, it's amazing. Season 3 was the best for me, but in general it's a great show. But seriously, expect a number of phrases to get thoroughly ingrained into your head. "Set condition one throughout the fleet!" is one that comes up virtually every episode, right up there with "Scramble alert fighters!".

I haven't see a whole lot of SG-1, only about one season (the last one) of Atlantis, and most of SGU, so I'm hardly an expert on them, but from what I've seen BSG is a better show. It's more intelligent, deals with issues like religious freedom, terrorism, and more in ways I would never expect an American TV show to have the balls to pull off (an American show that has the good guys carry out suicide bombings, and actually protrays how a people could be driven to such an extreme that such action appears to be the only possible recourse, has my eternal respect). The second half of the fourth season gets a bit... odd, but to be fair they had been leading up to that kind of stuff throughout the entire previous three and a half seasons of the show. It's a very different sort of Science Fiction, with very little emphasis on technology (the show has almost no technobabble whatsoever, and tech like FTL drives and space ships are simply there), and a huge emphasis on character development.

Casey Bowen

Jun 26, 2011
Have to go with Stargate. While I too thought the Ori story arc was a bit lame, and that Season 10 was nearly a total waste -- it wasn't until then that they knew the show was ending and so were probably hoping to build more into it. Whereas BSG knew they were only doing 4 seasons and still managed to make large portions of season 4 more than a bit "out there". BSG's pinnacle was Season 2. Stargate (SG-1) managed several entertaining episodes across a slew of seasons.

Battle Pope

Nov 2, 2009
I vote Battlestar Galactica. It's a perfect example of quality over quantity. Also Caprica takes place even before the original series so watch that after you're done with Galactica.

SG-1 is still good though. It kinda has the same premise of Star Trek really (military/alien dudes and dudettes explore the universe seeking new live and civilizations while simultaneously battling an overarching evil.) Atlantis phones it in though so I find it unwatchable. Universe has the same problem although this time they "emulate" bsg.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Stargate: SG1 started out decent, got quite good for a bit then trailed off and died.

Battlestar Galactica never really got going. Watchable at best.

Atlantis was rarely watchable, seemed like they were trying to do SG1 again, but in a really half-arsed way and SG1 itself had run out of stuff to try.

SGU...only saw a few episodes, and they were god awful. All that ever happened was people squabbled and whinged at problems until they went away, despite mind numbingly obvious solutions. There's a door that has to be shut, but the button to shut it is on the unsafe side of the door. So, you've a ship full of supposed geniuses, or at worst, not totally braindead people...get a pole to poke the button with. Throw something at the button. Get one of your fucking remote control flying things to fly into it. C'mon, it's not hard.

AmaterasuGrim

Jul 16, 2011
Stargate but I'm still left with the WHY DID YOU CAN ATLANTIS!!!!!!!!!! question good series but I'm not to fond of SGU.

mcattack92

Feb 2, 2011
Battlestar Galactica is for people who like politics and drama while Stargate is more for the people who like action and crazy science stories.

thevillageidiot13

Sep 9, 2009
BrailleOperatic said:
Why are there two Battlestar options but only one Stargate? Methinks I smell a bias.

OT: I like Starge: SG-1 better.
Those are the options my girl laid out for me, brother. Haha.

WaReloaded

Jan 20, 2011
Stargate: Atlantis is incredible, like, really incredible. I never thought very highly of the series as I was a little bit of a Star Trek fanboy, but my finacee sat me down and made me watch it with her and I was left speechless, it really is quite good.

Upbeat Zombie

Jun 29, 2010
Well I haven't seen any Battlestar, but I have seen a lot of Stargate Sg1. Which is pretty good. Also I've also seen some of Atlantis which looks like its good too.

Aug 4, 2010
Kara Thrace. /thread.

Seriously though, I loved every moment of BSG until the final season. The ending didn't really satisfy me either.

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
I found what I've watched of Battlestar Galactica to be unimpressive. The characters were really unlikable.

That being said, I found Stargate SG1 and Atlantis to be brilliant and the characters in those shows are fantastic and very likable.

Don't watch Universe though, as it just feels like Battlestar Galactica, boring and the characters are lame.

Well, that's my opinion. I have a friend which absolutely loves Battlestar Galactica.

Polarity27

Jul 28, 2008
Battlestar Galactica is an awesomely cheesy show with a robot dog and... oh, wait. You mean that new sh*t.

(Sorry, man, that show is my childhood!)

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Battlestart Galactica is the best sci-fi TV show I've ever seen. It's like The West Wing IN SPACE, except with more action, more robots and more mysterious foreshadowing fate/destiny/prophecy stuff, and sadly, less Martin Sheen.