Poll: Best Cinema Director of the last 50 years

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
Either Kubrick or Coppola, but both have one movie that I just can't stand, Apocalypse Noe(so pretentious) and 2001 for Kubrick(so slow). Though they both also have two of my favorite films, Patton for Coppola(he was the writer though, not the director), and Full Metal Jacket for Kubrick.

Sylveria

Nov 15, 2009
This is a pretty limited and inconsistent list. Putting Bay in with Hitchcock? Just putting him in there to see how many 12 year old people are really on the escapist? There's a lot of of far better directors to go up for "Best" of the last 50 years that could, and should, have been on here.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
ivc392 said:
First of all, this is by NO MEAN A LIST OF THE BEST DIRECTORS...
Why is the title "Best Director of the last 50 years" then? You should edit the title to "My favorite directors are the following. Out of my personal preferences, which one do you like the best. For discussion please keep it limited to those I hand picked."

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
PeePantz said:
ivc392 said:
First of all, this is by NO MEAN A LIST OF THE BEST DIRECTORS...
Why is the title "Best Director of the last 50 years" then? You should edit the title to "My favorite directors are the following. Out of my personal preferences, which one do you like the best. For discussion please keep it limited to those I hand picked."
Its just too long for a title and also because which post you would read, "Best Director" or "My favorite directors are the following. Out of my personal preferences, which one do you like the best. For discussion please keep it limited to those I hand picked.".

By the way, which is your favourite director?

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
ivc392 said:
By the way, which is your favourite director?
My favorite directors, I already stated (sorry for yoda talk, I had begun to type and didn't want to cut and paste): the Coen brothers.

However, I picked Bay to throw off the poll due to its lack of better directors.

Serge A. Storms

Oct 7, 2009
From that list, I'd go with Coppola. That said, that list has at least two names that don't need to be on there and at least three that desperately need to be in the mix.

Fanta Grape

Aug 17, 2010
Mmm, tough choice. I'd have to choose Kubrick, then Hitchcock. Followed by Tarantino and then Woody Allen. Although Annie Hall is my favourite film...

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Sergio Leone, Martin Scorsese, Stephen Spielberg, Frank Darabont, Robert Zemeckis? They are not on the list but Michael Bay is?

Sergio Leone knew how to speak English by the way.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Really? George Lucas and Michael Bay, but no Stephen Spielberg? You'd probably get more votes for Tim Burton than Michael Bay, but I see he's not on there either. Or Robert Zemeckis. What about Bruno Mattei? No, of course you don't know who Bruno Mattei is...

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
Martin Scorsese? Peter Jackson? Christopher Nolan? Instead you put George Lucas, a man who basically destroyed one of the greatest franchises of all time, and Micheal Bay, a man who made Transformers 2. Anyways I digress, I guess I'll pick Tarantino who has made consistently good movies for almost 20 years.