Poll: Best Cinema Director of the last 50 years

T8B95

Jul 8, 2010
You picked Michael Bay, and not Scorsese? Ridley Scott? Steven Spielberg? Peter Jackson? What is wrong with the world?

Out of those featured, I'd probably say Stanley Kubrick.

One thing though: the George Lucas who made the original Star Wars trilogy and the original Indianna Jones trilogy was one of the best directors of all time. The George Lucas who made the new Star Wars really likes money.

LiquidGrape

Sep 10, 2008
"English-speaking director"?
Odd, but very well.
I can't say whom I would consider "the best" director of the last 50 years, but I can certainly name a personal favourite.

Mary Harron.

She has only directed three feature films so far in spite of 20+ years experience in the business (a rather sad indictment of our present cinematic culture, don't you think?), but I count her adaptation of Bret Easton Ellis' "American Psycho" as the single most brilliant deconstruction of male vanity and fear of social impotence I have seen on film.

It's funny, it's repulsive and I love it dearly like a bastard child I'm afraid to turn my back on.

diggy140892

Jun 4, 2010
Michael Bay is in this poll... Whilst I do enjoy a good trashy action movie his inclusion in this poll is just laughable.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
ivc392 said:
Ok, its simple.
Choose your favourite English-speaking director
Lets see who wins!

PS:for some reason Im expecting a rather unpleasant surprise...
No Terry Gilliam? Son, I am disappoint.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
OmniscientOstrich said:
No Martin Scorsese? Shame on you. In all seriousness I can't think of another director whose delivered such consistently high quality titles: Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, The King of Comedy, Goodfellas, Cape Fear, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed etc. and those are just off the top of my head.
lol my thoughts exactly. I vote for Scorsese.

Also, why the fuck is Michael Bay up there!??

ALSO, Also, I haven't seen Guillermo Del Toro here so far, so I'll put him up for Hellboy, Hellboy 2, The Devils Backbone and the phenomenal Pan's Labyrinth.

ALSO, also, also, No Peter Jackson either? What are you, joking?

honestdiscussioner

Jul 17, 2010
Dude, this isn't even a contest. I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of people in Hollywood would say Scorsese. Leaving him out is like asking "who is the best basketball player" and leaving out Michael Jordan and Dr. J.

Harry Mason

Mar 7, 2011
OutcastBOS said:
Where's Sam Raimi 3:< ? Kidding, but out of those, I like Copella.
Hey now! Sam Raimi could very well be... Oh... Spider Man 3...
As to your second point, yeah, the FUCK Micheal Bay gets to be on that list!

On Topic: The motherfucking GLARING omissions of Guillermo Del Toro, Wes Anderson, Terry Gilliam, Tim Burton, Lars Von Trier, and HUNDREDS OF OTHERS aside, how in the name of the Virgin Mary's enlarged areolas did you forget this guy?

I'd be scared of the living dead right now, were I you!

Out of the list, I decided on Kubrick.

derob

Feb 17, 2011
Me and my younger brother are huge Kubrick fans. Every time I think of formidable, no frills, technical achievements in film I immediately think Kubrick.

Here's a fact regarding the director: Kubrick was a chess whiz during his youth and possessed the promising skill of someone playing at a competitive level.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Kubrick or Scorcese for who is probably the most artistically successful director, Hitchcock for most influential.

Also no Clint Eastwood? Son, I am disappoint.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Others have certainly been more influential, but none can match the sheer style of Tarantino films. It's like they're so cool that it's not cool, but then they keep going becoming so not cool that they're even cooler.

I'd put Woody Allen as a close second though - no other director makes such blatantly interesting films with so little pretension.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
ivc392 said:
Ok, its simple.
Choose your favourite English-speaking director
Lets see who wins!

PS:for some reason Im expecting a rather unpleasant surprise...
Wow. Would you be offended if I said "screw your poll?" No P.T. Anderson, no Michael Mann, no Steven Soderberg, no Spielberg or Scorsese (ninja'd on these)?

I'd say P.T. Anderson. Magnolia and There Will Be Blood were two of the most satisfying experiences I've ever had in a theater.

Also-

/mutes self, reminds self that he needs to work on being succint.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
RT said:
George Lucas, lol.

But if we're being serious, I'd say Francis Ford Coppola.
Where the hell is Nolan?
In the parallel world where The Dark Knight didn't suck.
I schmell a schmoll. These are always people who don't qualify as why, which is further evidence that they're only posting to irk people. If someone were to present some interesting reasons why they didn't like The Dark Knight, or Inception, I'd love to hear it, as especially with the former it seems that 90% of moviegoers loved it and 99% of comics fans loved it, so it would be a unique viewpoint.

Which, unfortunately, "(whatever you love) sucks!" is not.

Edit: As David Cross once said, my tongue is an asshole. "Don't qualify as why?"

What I meant to say is "don't qualify as TO why they didn't enjoy the film," y'know, as an alternative to offering a Beavis and Butthead assessment: "It sucked."

matoasters

Jun 7, 2010
Coen brothers. Absolutely amazing, always get great performances out of their actors, and amazing cinematography. Also, Alfonso Cuaron is pretty damn good. Out of the list though, I'd say Tarantino and Kubrick.

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
well since this is about a directors whole work i just have to go with Kubrick. Nobody did make movies with such consistently good quality, even his boring movies were great.

the rye

Jun 26, 2010
A lot of great directors are missing from this poll and Lucas, Cameron and Bay should not be in this poll.