Poll: Best Cinema Director of the last 50 years

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
Ok, its simple.
Choose your favourite English-speaking director
Lets see who wins!

PS:for some reason Im expecting a rather unpleasant surprise...

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
Here`s a list of SOME of the films

Francis Ford Coppola:
The Godfather I, II & III
Apocalypse Now
The Conversation

Quentin Tarantino:
Kill Bill I & II
Deathproof
Reservoir Dogs
Inglourious Basterds

Stanley Kubrick
Spartacus
The Shining
A Clockwork Orange
2001: A Space Odyssey

Woody Allen
Match Point
Midnight in Paris
Small Time Crooks
Melinda and Melinda

Alfred Hitchcock
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Psycho
The Birds
The Paradine Case

George Lucas
American Graffiti
Star Wars IV,I,II & III
THX 1138

James Cameron
Titanic
The Terminator 1 & 2
Aliens

Michael Bay
Armageddon
Tansformers Franchise
Bad Boys I & II
The Rock

IMPORTANT: Im only counting those films in which they are credited as Directors

OmniscientOstrich

Jan 6, 2011
No Martin Scorsese? Shame on you. In all seriousness I can't think of another director whose delivered such consistently high quality titles: Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, The King of Comedy, Goodfellas, Cape Fear, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed etc. and those are just off the top of my head.

PeePantz

Sep 23, 2010
I'd place David Fincher and Christopher Nolan on there as well. Also, ever hear about a man named Martin Scorsese? Personally, my favorite would be the Coen brothers.

EDIT: No Brian De Palma????

Bon_Clay

Aug 5, 2010
FFFFFU...that's hard. I would have to say Stanley Kubrick in a director competition because I think his directing had the biggest influence on how much his movies stood out. It was just an original and awesome style.

Personal favourite is Tarantino though. I just love EVERYTHING he does, but I don't think his movies are as historically significant and influential.

Apr 15, 2011
No Scorsese or Spielberg?

Out of those choices though definitely Hitchcock or Kubrick since they made consistently great films that stand the test of time. Also IIRC, Lucas only directed the first Star Wars and a handful of other films. Post-Star Wars he pretty much became a producer.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Christopher Nolan for me. And Michael Bay? Jesus titty-fucking...

... CHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIST! No.

Grotch Willis

May 10, 2011
ivc392 said:
Here`s a list of SOME of the films

Francis Ford Coppola:
The Godfather I, II & III
Apocalypse Now
The Conversation

Quentin Tarantino:
Kill Bill I & II
Deathproof
Reservoir Dogs
Inglourious Basterds

Stanley Kubrick
Spartacus
The Shining
A Clockwork Orange
2001: A Space Odyssey

Woody Allen
Match Point
Midnight in Paris
Small Time Crooks
Melinda and Melinda

Alfred Hitchcock
The Man Who Knew Too Much
Psycho
The Birds
The Paradine Case

George Lucas
American Graffiti
Star Wars IV,I,II & III
THX 1138

James Cameron
Titanic
The Terminator 1 & 2
Aliens

Michael Bay
Armageddon
Tansformers Franchise
Bad Boys I & II
The Rock

IMPORTANT: Im only counting those films in which they are credited as Directors
Stanley Kubrick also Directed Full Metal Jacket., also, dude how in the fuck can you have Michael Special Effects to MAXX!!! Bay on your greatest directors list but not have Scorsese or Spielburg?

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Alfred Hitchcock.

He always knew exactly which emotions and reactions he wanted from the audience, and he always had a thousand ingenious ways to bring them out. The man played his audience like a complex musical instrument, and his best movies demonstrate virtuoso skills that can only be described as superhuman.

Nichael Bluth

Jun 26, 2011
Kubrick, far and away. Probably the greatest of all time, with 2001, Dr. Strangelove, Full Metal Jacket, A Clockwork Orange... and even Eyes Wide Shut (never understood the hate for that one, it's one of my favorites).

That being said, my personal favorite has to be Paul Thomas Anderson. It's a crime that he's not listed (There Will Be Blood, Magnolia, Boogie Nights...)

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
A tie between Quentin and Lucas. American Graffiti is fucking A.

... Though I guess Hitchcock beats them both (and rather anyone else on that list) by a mile far and large.

Why they have to be English speaking though I dont know.

C2Ultima

Future sovereign of Oz
Nov 6, 2010
I'll be the unoriginal whore here and say Steven Spielberg. I have no idea why he isn't on this list, but Michael Bay is.

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
OmniscientOstrich said:
No Martin Scorsese? Shame on you. In all seriousness I can't think of another director whose delivered such consistently high quality titles: Taxi Driver, Raging Bull, The King of Comedy, Goodfellas, Cape Fear, Gangs of New York, The Aviator, The Departed etc. and those are just off the top of my head.
Yes, there are a ton of excelent directors... but I only had 6 slots... so I picked those that where more...er... lets say, popular in this day and age..

about Christopher Nolan, I actually forgot about him... heh...

And with the Michael Bay thing, It`s a little experiment..

ivc392

Aug 26, 2010
Grotch Willis said:
Stanley Kubrick also Directed Full Metal Jacket., also, dude how in the fuck can you have Michael Special Effects to MAXX!!! Bay on your greatest directors list but not have Scorsese or Spielburg?
First of all, this is by NO MEAN A LIST OF THE BEST DIRECTORS...

Second, I only listed 4 single movies (or franchises) for every director. If for some reason you what a complete list go to wikipedia or something...

Third, again, about Nolan and Spielburg (and Coen Bothers and Scorsese), well, I only had 6 slots...