Poll: Best Controller for a Console

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
I've used a 360 controller, even for an extended period of time, but I just could not get used to how awkward it was to use the joysticks in two completely different areas of the controller. It makes no sense to me. While I would prefer the PS joystick be slightly further apart, I still prefer it any day because at least the stick are on the same level. That's just me personally, but whenever I see or hear someone say they like the 360 controller better, I just look at them with confusion. But, use what's comfortable to you I guess, you weird strange handed people.

WittyName

Jan 3, 2009
Personally, the DualShock controllers are the most comfortable, as they fit my hands the best. I've been using the DualShocks since they first came out for the PlayStation, so that's just what I've grown accustomed to using.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Gamecube is my favorite controller, it just feels so right to me. Next would be the 360, then SNES, for its simple effective design. Then the Playstation controllers, I like them, but they never clicked with me.

I still never got why the N64 controller gets so much flack. I learned how it use it within minutes of playing Super Mario 64 and Star Fox 64. It's weird looking, but come on guys. >.>

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
I prefer the Dualshock 2. The PS3 controller is all great until I get to the L2 & R2 buttons, which have been killed by design, and I'm left wishing for my clicky PS2 trigger buttons back. If the 360's D-pad wasn't arse and the R2 & L2 triggers weren't so floaty it would be perfect.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
SNES for me. I like its shape and feel and it still feels comfortable in my hands after hours of play. I like the PS3 controller too but it doesn't top the SNES. I hate the shoulder buttons and I dislike the feel of the thumbsticks and for some reason it feels like my hands are too close together that I don't get with the SNES controller.

Mersadeon

Jun 8, 2010
Gamecube. So many buttons, all have different shapes, sizes and orientation so that you can easily feel which one it is. Lots of different kinds of buttons, too - the normal shoulder buttons (L,R) are triggers that can be pulled very far, the Z button is this little bumper (kind of like the RB LB buttons on an Xbox 360), even the sticks are different. The left stick has great traction (PS sticks often slip away in my experience).

Only thing I didn't like was that the sticks kinda locked into those 8 positions, I would have preferred them to be perfectly round like PS3 and Xbox 360.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if anyone already said this, but the crappy D-pads on controllers other than PS are because they patented that. Yes. They patented that. Dicks.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
It depends. The 6 button Mega Drive/Sega Saturn controller is easily the best for 2D games, but the PS2 pad is my favourite for everything 3D. Actually, the PS2 pad is quite good for 2D games, too, so I guess that's my favourite.

I prefer symmetrical sticks the Xbox and Gamecube's asymmetrical ones, as well.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Exius Xavarus said:
I rather like the Wii U Pro Controller. Perfectly fits my hands, all buttons are easily accessible and the switched button/analogue stick placement doesn't feel so alien after using it for a while. While I think the Power Button is unnecessary seeing as they could have it so holding the home button gives you the option to power down the console, but I'm not particularly complaining. Also, it lasts me at least a couple weeks of continuous play before it needs recharging.

Comfort, ease of use, endurance and solidly put together. Definitely a winner, in my book.

wintercoat said:
I'd have to say the PS2 controller was my favorite, followed closely by the Gamecube and N64 controllers sharing 2nd place. Yeah, I'm an odd one, I loved the N64 controller. So sue me.

Special mention goes to the Wii-Mote and Nunchuck. I like that it allows you to sit relaxed, allowing your arms to rest comfortably to the sides rather than being brought in close like with a standard controller. Add in another stick, and a couple more buttons, and it would have been my choice.
That's my favorite part about the Wiimote/Nunchuck controller. I'd be playing in some intense battles in Smash Bros. Brawl and my hands would be at my side while everyone else would have their hands close together(using the same controller type as me). I never noticed it until a friend pointed it out and how I can play such a hectic game in such a relaxed posture.

[sub]I also really liked the N64 and Gamecube controllers..[/sub]
I too find the Wii U pro controller to be my favourite input device for consoles at present, followed handily by a draw between dualshock and gamecube. Then Saturn and Mega Drive controllers bring up third place because those things are fucking brilliant, were easy to use with a PC of the time too.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I never loved a controller until I got my 360.

Well, the Wavebird, but that was mostly due to competent wireless for once.

The 360 fits almost perfectly in my hands, has nice weight and is all-around good except for the D-Pad. The XBone controller will likely become my go-to PC controller when it comes out (screw the Xbone, but the 360 controllers have given me a callous on one knuckle due to the battery well).

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Of all the controllers I've used I've found the Gamecube controller to be the most ergonomic and comfortable, but the 360 controller is pretty good too.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
The GameCube controller was the closest consoles got to perfection. I'm still incredibly pissed that Nintendo moved away from it with their Xbox knock-off controller.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Gamecube. I do love the PS2 controller, seeing as I play a lot of RPGs, but Gamecube was ergonomically better on the hands.
Combine them and you'd truly have the best controller. Replace the analog stick with a d-pad, remove the Z button, add the L1 and R1 triggers, ABYX to Triangle Circle Square Cross, and put in analog sticks where the d-pad and C-stick were. I guess the Wii Arcade controller is part way there.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
For me it's a tie between the Playstation controllers and the Gamecube controller, however, if forced to make a decision, I would probably go for the Playstation controller because I have been using them for the longest. Both are really comfortable and easy to use. For me, the original Xbox controller was really difficult for me to use at the beginning as I only have small hands, but I got used to it through playing copious amounts of Jet set radio future and Psychonauts.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Gamecube controller, fits perfectly in the palms of my hand and the larger buttons make sure that you don't accidentally push the wrong one.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
Dual shock controllers or controllers using the same layout have always been my favourite, they just feel right in my hands and the layout of the buttons makes perfect sense to me. The positioning of the Xbox 360 controllers analogue sticks just feel unnatural in comparison.

Close second would be the Gamecube controller which was ridiculously comfortable to use. Though the different sized buttons sometimes made certain games confusing.