Poll: Best Decade for Cartoons (Updated)

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
I like cartoons. And because I like them, I want to ask this: What do you think is the best decade for cartoons?
Here are short lists of notable shows from each decade. I'll keep updating the more suggestion I get. Any suggestions for the 1950's?

The 1940's(needs help)
Looney Tunes(started in 30's), Tom and Jerry, Woody Woodpecker, Fleischer's Superman, Popeye(started in 30's), Mighty Mouse, Mr. Magoo.

The 1960's
The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Scooby Doo, Where are You!, Yogi Bear, Wacky Races, Jonny Quest, Space Ghost, Astro Boy, Speed Racer, The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show(started in 50's), The Pink Panther Show.

The 1970's(needs help)
Superfriends, Jabberjaw, Josie and the Pussycats, Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids, The Perils of Penelope Pitstop, Hong Kong Phooey.

The 1980's
The Transformers, G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, ThunderCats, Danger Mouse, The Real Ghostbusters, Dungeons and Dragons, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Muppet Babies, Count Duckula, Heathcliff, Robotech, Inspector Gadget, The Smurfs, Ducktales, The Care Bears, Rainbow Brite, Adventures of the Gummi Bears, M.A.S.K., The Poddington Peas.

The 1990's
The Simpsons(started in 80's), Animaniacs, Batman; The Animated Series, Beavis and Butt-head, The Ren & Stimpy Show, Gargoyles, Dragonball Z, Aeon Flux, The Tick, Pokemon, Freakazoid!, Digimon, Transformers: Beast Wars, Tiny Toon Adventures, ReBoot, Sailor Moon, Powerpuff Girls, Dexter's Laboratory, Cowboy Bebop, Ed, Edd n Eddy, Johnny Bravo, Arthur, Daria, South Park, Darkwing Duck, Futurama, Earthworm Jim, X-Men, Aaahh!!! Real Monsters, Rocko's Modern Life, Rugrats, Hey, Arnold!.

The 2000's
Samurai Jack, Invader Zim, Megas XLR, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Fullmetal Alchemist, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Spongebob Squarepants(started in 90's), Teen Titans, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Courage the Cowardly Dog(started in 90's), Venture Bros., My Life as a Teenage Robot, The Boondocks, The Fairly OddParents, Spectacular Spider-man, Clone High, Kim Possible, Danny Phantom, Ben 10.

The 2010's
Adventure Time, The Legend of Korra, Archer, Regular Show, My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, Phineas and Ferb, Generator Rex, Sym-Bionic Titan, Young Justice, The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, Motorcity, Gravity Falls.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
This was a tough one, but I had to go with the 1990s. I absolutely love most of the examples you had for them, especially Johnny Bravo.

Johnny Bravo is the best show of all time.

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
I have the most nostalgia for the 2000s. Quite a few 90s shows also extend well into the 2000s as well, and I generally prefer the newer episodes from that era. Also, Teen Titans.

Sightless Wisdom

Resident Cynic
Jul 24, 2009
Obvious bias: I watched cartoons in the 90's because that's when I was a kid. However, I still think they were pretty good right up until about halfway through the 2000's.

Accel

Aug 18, 2012
I'd add Beast Wars and Darkwing Duck to the 90s. 2010 has an unfair disadvantage since we're only a few years into it right now.

But you can't deny that the 90s were EXTREEEEME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_QliszDyZ8

uneek

Sep 4, 2011
Accel said:
I'd add Beast Wars and Darkwing Duck to the 90s. 2010 has an unfair disadvantage since we're only a few years into it right now.

But you can't deny that the 90s were EXTREEEEME
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_QliszDyZ8
Added. Thanks!

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Obviously this one since you can still watch all the older stuff.

I'd say the 90's because I like the anime that came out then and it's still good. I can still rewatch and enjoy shows like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop, Slayers, Evagelion, and Ruroni Kenshin. Not to mention series like Pokemon and DBZ that were entertaining as a kid (and Sailor Moon, but I never got into that).

If it's just american cartoons I'd go with 00's with what you have written.

klown

Jun 6, 2012
I'm a 90s kid, always have been, always will be. Also: Rocko's Modern Life was amazing.

Dtox333

Dec 7, 2011
It's a tough one between 1990 and 2000, since I grew up with mostly 2000. But in the end I'll have to go with 1990, it just has so many amazing cartoons from that period that were made with great quality and care.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
uneek said:
The 2000's
Ed, Edd n Eddy,
Ed, Edd and Eddy first aired in 1999, ending in 2009.

I'm also wondering why you didn't include Samurai Jack.

MIB and Roughnecks Starship Troopers Chronicles deserve more praise considering their origins.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
It's definitely either 90s or 00s, I can't make up my mind which. The 90s had Animaniacs and Batman TAS, but the 00s had Cartoon-Cartoon and Megas XLR. I really can't decide :(

Klumpfot

Dec 30, 2009
Your poll is broken. No 1940's. You need to start over!

Nah, just kidding (except not really). Of the available choices, I vote 1990's. Because The Simpsons. I know the show's roots is in the 80's, but that's not the decade it defined.

Dimitriov

The end is nigh.
May 24, 2010
The 1980's's
The Transformers, He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Inspector Gadget, Ducktales, The Simpsons, The Raccoons.

The 1990's
Animaniacs, Batman; The Animated Series, Transformers: Beast Wars, Dexter's Laboratory, Johnny Bravo, Arthur, Daria, Darkwing Duck, Family Guy, Futurama, Rugrats, Recess, Pinky and the Brain.

The 2000's
Invader Zim, Avatar: The Last Airbender, Spongebob Squarepants, Kim Possible.

The 2010's
My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.

Modified the list slightly to reflect my personal preferences (also made a few necessary additions) and the answer became clear: the 1990's but with the 80's pulling into a close second place.

However, some of my absolute favourite shows do come up in the later decades...

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
You made it a lot easier by omitting the Looney Tunes decades, so it really comes down to the 80's or the 90's. Personally I think you've missed a lot of very different and brilliant 80s shows in your sort of samey selection, and while I think that 90s shows were probably just a bit better overall, the 80s had so many different kinds of amazing shows I'd usually have to vote for them.

BUT-

Being the amazing shows they were, and being actually recognised as such, many of the great 80's cartoons saw re-runs well into the 90s, so as a best decade for cartoons and cartoon watching, I'd have to vote the 1990s.

Now where the hell are the re-runs of the Cosgrove Hall cartoons? Dammit the world needs more Danger Mouse!

Boggelz

Aug 28, 2011
At first I was saying: Oh man, got to be 1960's. I loved Rocky and Bullwinkle!

Then I thought: 90's! I loved the animaniacs! Oh wow Batman! Haven't heard of Gargoyles in forever! I loved Futurama!

But I went with 2000s because it had some of my favourite shows ever: Clone High and Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

drednoahl

Nov 23, 2011
While all my own favourites were released in the '80s (but that's more to do with me loving old anime,) I'd say that the '90s has to be best and most diverse.

In the '80s I really liked Ulysees 31, Thundercats, Transformers, Mysterious Cities of Gold, James the Cat, and Dangermouse.

IIRC in 1991 though, some anime was released by a major record label and it was marketed extensively and quite well imo. This venture was a success and in my opinion American produced cartoons improved dramatically as a result of the increased competition. Aeon flux instantly springs to mind; I think some studios realised it wasn't just kids that watch cartoons.

By the end of the '90s you have Family Guy and South Park, you've got Pixar doing their thing (whilst dubbing Miyazaki's anime for English speakers,) Cartoon network and Toonami were on a roll. Anime was arguably at it's best in the '90s too.