Poll: Best Elder Scrolls opening sequence

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
"Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you OK? Wake up. Stand up...there you go. You were dreaming. What's your name? Well, not even last night's storm could wake you. I heard them say we've reached Morrowind. I'm sure they'll let us go."

It may be just nostalgia talking, but Morrowind's opening is unforgettable. Morrowind as a whole was quite revolutionary back in the day. Oblivion and Skyrim even though they are technically better games, did not have such a huge impact on gaming. They didn't have a huge impact on me either.

Mar 30, 2010
OneOfTheMichael said:
Skyrim, though it's being reconsidered because I find a very annoying glitch happening everytime I attempt a new game, I get stuck at the chopping block because glitched alduin just flies around aimlessly for hours
I had that after I installed the Dawnguard DLC. Are you by chance reloading the quicksave Skyrim makes just before you're asked for your name rather than watching the whole intro? That's what kept glitching me out - some kind of conflict between pre and post DLC autosaves. I deleted the autosave and went through the whole intro again and Alduin behaved as he was meant to.

OT - Of those three I prefer the Morrowind intro, although if I'm being honest I'd say the Daggerfall intro beats all three.

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
The Daggerfall intro was pretty nice indeed.
However out of the three options present, I have to agree with the ones voting for Morrowind and with DoPo especially.
Also, Nerevar Rising is a very, very good song, fitting perfectly where it was.

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
w9496 said:
One gripe about the Skyrim intro is that they never tell you why you are on the execution cart.
To be fair, they never tell you why you're a prisoner in any of the games, except for Skyrim as mentioned w9496 where it's stated you were coming in from the border.

OT: I liked Oblivion's opening because of the Dunmer in the other cell. I love the shit he says and how it changes each time both on race and gender.

As for TES6 I really just would prefer jumping straight into the game. I want to create my character first, then play/look at the scenery and have dialogue directed at me, I just find that it makes me more invested in the story and helps me connect with my character (although I'm normally a Nord or a Bosmer so I should be use to it by now but still). As for where the next game is set...I honestly don't care, so long as I still get a game that I can sink hundreds of hours into I'm happy.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't really remember Morrowind's but the voice over by Patrick Stewart in Oblivion was awesome.

Tom_green_day

Jan 5, 2013
Did Oblivion even have one? All I remember is several hundred hours of cellars. Preferred Skyrim so much more in every way.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
ShinyCharizard said:
Morrowind. Because it was short.
More to the point, it was functional.
Who are you?
What do you look like?
Sweet, now here are your instructions to start the main quest, off you go and play this amazing huge game.

PS, look out for the Cliff Racers.

I guess it's weakness was that it didn't give you anything for the story, so a lot of players get bored before it all kicks off, their loss.

romxxii

Feb 18, 2010
They've all got terrible openings. If there's one consistent thing about the Elder Scrolls games, it's that you always start off as a prisoner and through some contrivance -- be it running an errand, stumbling onto an assassination attempt, or a stay of execution via dragon -- you begin your journey to becoming an extremely overpowered and imbalanced demigod.

hyplion

Apr 29, 2010
You miss 2 TES games in your poll.... (4 if you count in redguard and that horrible battlespire, but those are not TES games as we know and love them)

for me its daggefall, the emperor sends you on a mission but before reaching daggerfall you get shipwrecked, the only time you are not a prisoner.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Don't get me wrong Morrowind is a classic opening but I think for over all design Oblivion wins hands down. The dungeon, the action, drawing you into the main story, and then stepping out of the sewer for the first time and the world just hits you. It was exceptionally well done.

I think Skyrim had the weakest of the three openings honestly.

NearLifeExperience

Oct 21, 2012
Game starts and I'm about to get executed! Skyrim it is.

I just found out that you could pick between following the imperials or that rebel dude. Curious.. who the hell would follow the imperial pigs that just tried to execute you? Also kind of ironic that if it hadn't been for Alduin, you'd suffer from a bad case of DEAD before the game even begins.

w9496 said:
One gripe about the Skyrim intro is that they never tell you why you are on the execution cart.
One of the guards tells his captain that you were caught crossing the border. Perhaps the imperial twats consider that a crime worthy of death by execution? They are dicks like that.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
CrossLOPER said:
endtherapture said:
What would you lik to see in the opening sequence for TES6?
So we are talking about a game that does not exist and will continue to not exist for the next five years, yet you omitted Arena, Daggerfall, Battlespire and Redguard?
Well what happened in the openings of those games?

tangoprime

Renegade Interrupt
May 5, 2011
SajuukKhar said:
For first time viewing? Skyim's, because it's the only one that actually does what an opening is supposed to do, aka SET UP THE GAME'S SETTING.

In Skyrim's opening we
-Get a view of Nordic culture
-Learn there is a civil war
-Learn The Empire got their asses headed to them by elves
-Learn dragons are coming back
We learn pretty much every single major issue going on in the world in that opening, and about the people involved in those events.

Oblivion and Morrowind are half assed as shit in this regard, Oblivion we learn someone is trying to kill TEH EMPEROR, but that's pretty much it, Cyrodiil? Imperials? Thieu culture? whats that?, you wouldn't know, because the game doesn't tell you, and in Morrowind's.... actually, we learn nothing from Morrowind's opening, the cutscene before the opening told us we were sent to Morrowind just cuz......, but it doesn't exactly tell us jack shit about Morrowind, or whats going on in it, or what exactly this prophecy is about.

In terms of replaying it, Morrowind's, only because it was short.
Ditto this. I also enjoyed how, even if you didn't want to get involved with the main quest, you could still reasonably ignore it, and your background was left ambiguous. You were crossing the border at the wrong place and the wrong time. Which way, or why, or your original origin/destination aren't told, you can decide. I like the touch of you not being on their list, then mentioning they'll have your remains sent to *homeland of your chosen character race*. After the craziness, you're told you should head into the nearest town down the mountain (loved the natural flow to escaping and moving down into the valley to come across your first town) where you can get some help and a bite to eat, then told you should go warn Whiterun, but have no obligations.

I've enjoyed it every time.

Captcha: yelling goat ...well if he'd been a running goat instead of being a yelling goat, I wouldn't have put an arrow in him and turned him into my first leather shield in Riverwood.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Skyrim of course, hands down.

I might be a bit biased though, it's the only TES game i have played.

Ironically its also the only things that keeps me from playing that game again, can't be arsed to sit through that intro again.

itsthesheppy

Mar 28, 2012
Morrowind. Hands down. It was short, sweet, and to the point. You're a prisoner being released, here's a name and a place, go.

Oblivion was a little better. Skyrim was pretty bad.

triggrhappy94

Apr 24, 2010
The beginning is always the worst part of TES games--unless you're trying to use a glitch to raise skills.

Morrowind was the shortest, so it gets points for that.
Skyrim was action-y, you get to see the sweet decapitation mechanic, and you almost get killed. Points for that.
Oblivion saw the raise and fall of Emperor Captain Pichard. Points for that.

I want to say Oblivion, maybe because I played that one the most. I feel like it had the most subtlety and allowed you to participate more, even if it maybe the longest.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
Never played Marrowind but Oblivion and Skyrim had some of the shittiest openings of all time. One is going through a shitty dungeon being told shit you knew nothing about and the other was riding in a shitty cart with a bunch of people talking about shit you know nothing about (and ripping off CoD 4's rather great opening) then going through a shitty cave. I love Skyrim and like Oblivion but they have some atrocious openings an, no offense, but anyone who thinks they where anything but shit are.... well... I don't want to get banned so just use your imagination.