Poll: Best Final Fantasy Game.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
X is my favourite, I adore the story and I like the way the gameplay ties neatly into it. Square have always understood what levelling up and gameplay is meant to convey (FFX-2 and FFXII are the exception to this). The game was about journeying through a large and hostile world, broken by Sin to the point where simple journey's are a struggle. So everything about the gameplay tied into this, the checkpoint system, the length of the game, the amount of battling etc.

When you play the game, you're getting empathy into the character situation, which is what a good game should be doing

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
I've actually been on a bit of a Final Fantasy binge lately. After finally getting around to playing VII, I went ahead and played VIII and IX as well. However... X is still my favorite.

VII is my favorite of the three I played recently. I think if the internet hadn't completely ruined the big emotional moment, and if the media that takes place after the end of the game hadn't ruined the somewhat ambiguous ending, it might have been my favorite of all time.

VIII ended up being a bit of a disappointment. Not BAD, just not really amazing or anything. The combat system is entirely too complicated, the main story is full of plot holes, and Ultimecia is a seriously weak main villain. That being said, the ending was actually really good.

IX was pretty damn good, and came in just behind VII in terms of how much I like it. Love the characters, love the story, and the combat/level up system might be my favorite in the series, aside from X.

So, while I've played a few more Final Fantasies than this, in terms of the ones I've beaten, it goes:

X
VII
IX
VIII

Now, I'm off to go play Final Fantasies I thru VI.

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
FFVIII
FF:Tactics
FFVI
FFVII
FFX
FFIX
FFIV
FFXII

Something like that I guess. FFXIII doesnt qualify

Andrew Bascom

Sep 30, 2010
I guess maybe I got out lucky cause I hadn't really played a Final Fantasy game till XIII so I think all the expectations I had were not quite the same as if I had already enjoyed the series. Anyways XIII is my favorite, probably followed by VII and then X, but to be fare those are the only three I've played besides XIII-2 and well honestly XIII's battle system beats all the others to me. Storyline was confusing but once I read through the extra stuff I mostly understood it, and as much as graphics don't make the game XIII was amazing to look at.

Tropicaz

Aug 7, 2012
It's a really tight call for me for 6, 7, 8, 9 and 10. But because it was the one i sunk most time in I picked X.
My probably top order
1) X loved everything about it, plus Yojimbo and Anima in this game were awesome.
2) VII mainly cos vincent was my favourite character in any game
3) IX
4) VI
5) VIII

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
For me it goes:

VI (by a large margin)
IX (Jim Sterling covers this game's good points pretty well)
VII (Overrated does not mean bad)
FFTactics (only the original... fuck the Advanced versions)
IV (Mostly nostalgia factor here to be honest)
VIII (Squall is a mope, but still more likable than Tidus)
V (Not bad, but I played it too late for the nostalgia factor to take hold)
Mystic Quest (bite me, the music was good)
X (Square's first foray into voice acting killed the game for me. Also, Tidus is a baby)
...I never finished any of the others, though I keep swearing I'll get around to finishing XII one of these days(at which point it will probably get pushed at least above X for having better voice acting).

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
I think FF6 is a great game for its time, but I have no idea why lots of people think its the best. Ultros is absurd and almost single-handledly makes the game worse than some of the other choices. The anachronism drives me nuts. For instance, when someone calls Sabin a "gym rat" or something to that effect? There are zero instances of gyms in that world. How is that polished? It doesn't make any sense.

The_Scrivener

Nov 4, 2012
Leemaster777 said:
I've actually been on a bit of a Final Fantasy binge lately. After finally getting around to playing VII, I went ahead and played VIII and IX as well. However... X is still my favorite.

VII is my favorite of the three I played recently. I think if the internet hadn't completely ruined the big emotional moment, and if the media that takes place after the end of the game hadn't ruined the somewhat ambiguous ending, it might have been my favorite of all time.

VIII ended up being a bit of a disappointment. Not BAD, just not really amazing or anything. The combat system is entirely too complicated, the main story is full of plot holes, and Ultimecia is a seriously weak main villain. That being said, the ending was actually really good.

IX was pretty damn good, and came in just behind VII in terms of how much I like it. Love the characters, love the story, and the combat/level up system might be my favorite in the series, aside from X.

So, while I've played a few more Final Fantasies than this, in terms of the ones I've beaten, it goes:

X
VII
IX
VIII

Now, I'm off to go play Final Fantasies I thru VI.
I don't think you can appreciate VII at full value if you spend any time with the crap media that came about after it. Keep in mind, most, if not all of that stuff came from Square-Enix and not Squaresoft which is a huge indication that it is homogenized, incoherent, uninspired trash. I consider FF7 as canon unto itself and ignore the financial afterthought nonsense that came years later.

I still play it every few years and the emotion of the Aeris scene isn't lost on me still, but I also played it well before the Internet got to it. (Or anything for that matter.)

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
I can't only pick one:p...

In no particular order the best FF games IMO are: 6, 9 and 12

My favourite FF game on the other hand is hands down 10-2.

mateushac

Apr 4, 2010
Oh my god! I love you! You remembered Tactics! If only I could find a working PS controller where I live =(

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
FFVI, FFVII and FFIX are the best in my book (with honorable mention to FFXII because of its amazing world and battle system. Vaan, and a somewhat weak story brings it down though).

I'm still surprised that many people think so highly of FFX. I mean, it was good, but nowhere near the quality of the other top games. It had Tidus, shitty voice acting across the board and an absolutely ridiculous looking villain in Seymour Guado. So no, that game is not top tier in my book.

IrateDonnie

Apr 1, 2010
The first FF was my favorite, only because it let you choose your party.Which added replayability for me trying to see how far I could make it with weird combinations of parties....trying to play with a party of four white mages ect...

Aircross

Jun 16, 2011
I've only played IV, VI, X, and XII.

VI is in my opinion the best out of the ones I've played so far.

The expressions from the sprites is 5000% more human than angsty polygons.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
The poll is irrelevant. Which game has spawned 3+ spinoff games and 2 movies?

<a href=http://gamescreens.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/Final_Fantasy_VII-7-Wallpaper.jpg>That's <a href=http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120229234736/trollopolis/images/c/c8/TrollFace.png>right.

MightyRabbit

Feb 16, 2011
For me, IX then VI. VI is probably the better game in terms of mechanics, but I still prefer IX for its world, music, characters and such.

bananafishtoday

Nov 30, 2012
Leemaster777 said:
I think that the biggest blow the Internet Hype Machine (and subsequent media, building off this) dealt to VII was the flanderization of Cloud as whiny, weak, and angsty. As a convenient illustration, compare his FF7 art to his Dissidea art:

The standard, cliche RPG arc goes something like, "I thought I was a loser/nobody, but I'm actually the hero!" Ie, an average person who finds out they're not so average, either through birth or prophecy (or both.) Off the top of my head... FF4, 5, & MQ, both Lufias, Illusion of Gaia, and Xenogears start from this premise. What 7 did was to set up Cloud as someone who knew he was the hero, then reveal to him (and the player) that he's a loser. He thought he was an elite fighter, both by training and genetic engineering, but turns out he was an enlisted grunt who wasn't good enough to make the cut for SOLDIER, and the "engineering" was harmful tampering rather than beneficial improvement. He has his mental breakdown, but comes out of it sure that he can be the hero on his own merits. Rather than the angst ball he's caricatured as, his trajectory is more "incredibly cocky and sure of himself->existential crisis when he learns his self-image is based on bullshit->reconstitution as a legitimately heroic individual once he comes to terms with and accepts who he really is."

So yeah, it was a really radical departure from the standard formula at the time, but it's something that later media/hype has kinda lost sight of.

(On a similar note, I really hope 6 holds up well for you [and other new players in general.] There are so many incredibly innovative things in that game that it invented but which I worry new players might mistake as cliched because later games copied them so aggressively.)

go-10

Feb 3, 2010
my personal favorite is VII, followed by VI, then IV, and finally... I know I'll be hated for this but... XIII and XIII-2

the rest of the series changes based on the day II has always remained at the bottom and VIII right after it, I just never really understood what's so great about those 2 games; then again I was never to fond of emo

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
bananafishtoday said:
Ah, I agree completely. In fact, I made note of that while I was playing.

I was kinda struck by how Cloud's personality didn't seem to match how he was portrayed in some of the other media I've seen of him. Throughout the entire game, I never thought he came off as "emo" or anything to that effect. It's like you said, he came off more to me as just overly confident. And personally, I prefer this to how he's protrayed in other games. It just seems like they want him to be more like Squall. (Incidentally, I found Squall almost insufferable throughout VIII. It took me a GOOD long while to finally warm up to him... which makes me question how he got so many people, both in the game and fans, who seem to like him so much.)

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
FF 9 is the best. I love everything about 9. Music and characters being the two main reasons. But if you are only looking for one thing that makes 9 the best then here it is. It is the best because of this guy: