Poll: Best Final Fantasy Game.

TheDrunkNinja

Jun 12, 2009
The_Scrivener said:
I included the FF games I thought would be most likely to be selected. And not to say that people can't have opinions, but anyone who would've chosen FF 1-3 is acting only on retro nostalgia or hasn't played FF in 20 years yet still keeps up with gaming culture enough to be on this forum.
I certainly hope you would not be suggesting that games from a series that has its roots in the NES era are only considered the best in the series based on nostalgia or ignorance of the other entries. If so, my gold cartridge of the original Legend of Zelda [small](one of the most groundbreaking and innovative games that was but one of many classic masterpieces that helped pave the way for games as we know them today)[/small] would like to have a few words with you.

Dude, next time, just admit you didn't have enough room for the whole series and replace the spinoff title you did put up there with "Other entry (explain)" or a similar option. People rarely click that option without clarifying what they mean in the thread so you'll still get a definitive answer and more posts to boot.

Anyway, my choice is, of course, Final Fantasy VI. For reasons that would just have me repeating what everyone else has already said.

Myndnix

Aug 11, 2012
My favourite is IX, always. I also enjoy I, IV, V, and VI. And Tactics.
And I know I'm not supposed to like XII, but I do.
VIII and XIII can fuck off and die.
The rest come somewhere in between.

Drake666

Sep 13, 2010
devotedsniper said:
I'm going to cheat, my favourite for the PS1 would be a tie between 8 and 9, and for the ps2 it would have to be 10. Finally for the 360 it would have to be 11.

P.S i voted for 8.
What do you like about 8 ? (really curious, it's rare to see someone who likes it)

I mean, the idea of being a from a school of mercenary is pretty good... but the setting and weaponry are weird. I like the time compression thing at the end, but the rest is so out there. There's missiles and explosive... so why not use them against the sorceress ? Why does Seiffer turns evil :S (I mean, he was a douche, but come on!) ? The GF causes amnesia is also pretty lame. The weapon creation system is bad and the magic drawing is a time killer (or an obligation to play cards OR to transform creature into cards OR to transform items into magic which is weird... why not sell magic while you're there ?).

But, still, I love the fact that they show us playable flashback (I know they're supposed to be "time travel experiment" by Elise, but I prefer to call them flash back ;)), I love the GFs (their design and their powers) and I find the sorceress character interesting. However, those little good points are not enough to make a good game (I think). Did I miss something ?

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Where the heck is FFXII?
This game is awesome!!!
I know this game have an awful story and the main hero is a b*tch, but the game have the most interest sub missions I have ever seen!!!

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Protagonist not a stoic putz
+ Vivi Ornitier
+ strong female characters
+ awesome pre-rendered CG backgrounds giving life to an amazing steampunk fantasy world
+ tons music with the memorability of a 16-bit soundtrack
+ classical yet incredibly deep and well-thought out storyline (with a minimum of plot holes for FF standards)
+ the most expansive chocobo mini-game of all
= Final Fantasy IX

A Weakgeek

Feb 3, 2011
The first ones, the ones with no whiny girly dudes and pussified badguys that nobody should take seriously.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
I voted for X. X was my first PS2 game, X sits firmly in the number 2 spot of my top five favourite games, and X is the only PS2 game I kept after my console died, just so I could use the disc to emulate it. I replay it at least once a year, sometimes more than that, to as near 100% completion as I can get. Since the game doesn't actually keep track of completion percentage, I just have to assume that I'm not missing anything.

Does that actually make it the best, though? I don't know. A man I very much respect once said that Final Fantasy VI is the pinnacle of the Final Fantasy series, and though I'm inclined to disagree, I think his reasons for saying that it is are a lot better than my reasons for arguing that it isn't.

So I'm going to say X, but remain well aware that very compelling arguments can be made for me being wrong.

ImperialSunlight

Nov 18, 2009
Out of the ones I have played, I enjoyed FFI the most, mostly because it's less linear than the other games. I admit that I haven't played many FFs, though. By the way, I first played it a couple of years ago, so I wouldn't say my opinion is based on nostalgia.

mionic

May 22, 2011
The_Scrivener said:
anyone who would've chosen FF 1-3 is acting only on retro nostalgia or hasn't played FF in 20 years yet still keeps up with gaming culture enough to be on this forum.
I would've picked three (Preferably specifically the ds remake, but not neh) and I'm not old enough to have played that game on a nostalgia level anyway.

Either way, 'S a bit redundant to have a poll if you're going to exclude options.

Also, American/other specifications could be useful.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Final Fantasy X is and will always be my favourite FF game. I have so many fond, nostalgic memories of the game and it's soundtrack and it's fun to play every now and again too.

After that... I am not sure. The only other FF games i've played completely are III (DS), VII, VIII and XIII which are all great but I still want to play more of them, which I have tried. However, VI for me was difficult for me to like due to it's age and I don't really like the art style and characters of IX.

judgementbringer

Oct 25, 2010
I started with the Playstation era, so my favorites are actually VIII and Tactics. I also really enjoyed XII so I'm kind of annoyed that it's not on the list. Maybe I'm weird, but I actually really enjoyed the Gambit system, and the story wasn't ridiculous at all. In fact, aside from Tactics, it's probably the most grounded and well written game in the series. Granted, it rips a lot of stuff off from Star Wars, but it's not the only JRPG that does that.

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
I cast my vote as VI because I think that's the best of the main series, but if we're including spinoffs, I'd say Dissidia 012 is the best FF game. Great combat, good story, great characters, awesome music, and you get to punch Squall and Tidus in the face whenever you want!

Odbarc

Elite Member
Jun 30, 2010
Final Fantasy 6 is the best.
It's the last sprite based game in the series.
It's medieval themed. Magic > Technology (Any said technology is run off magic and is quite rare nonetheless).
The main antagonist is the best of the series.
Leo.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Bear In Heaven said:
Final Fantasy IX was always my favourite. I remember back in my internet novice days lurking on various vidya game sites such as Gamespot and GameFAQS, FFIX was universally (save for the regulars on the game's GameFAQS forum) reviled as the one of the most disappointing of the main series and FFVII was universally heralded as the epitome of vidya games. Fast foward about a decade (I'm old, I know!) and it's esentially reversed. FFIX is the bee's knees and FFVII is overrated. But if everyone thinks FFVII is overrated, then who actually over rates it?

Even though it took about a decade Australia finally got Final Fantasy Tactics...The War of The Lions. And I must say, outside of the main series it's hands down the best game Square has ever created. Hot damn, that is perfect game. Everything about it is perfect, the story, characters, atmosphere, gameplay. Genius. Yes, even Ramza's crotch piece armour is genius.
Maybe the very vocal people who think Square stands to make truck loads of money if they'd just devote the millions it would require into making a full modern HD FFVII remake?

FFVI is my favourite personally. First one was FFIV, though as far as JRPG's go my first games were actually the original Dragon Quest and Phantasy Star, somehow I missed FFI.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
My favorite of the numbered Final Fantasy games would be a toss-up between either IX or IV. When it comes to spin-offs and, non-numerical entries, my favorite entry is Mystic Quest followed by Crisis Core. my top five are probably something like...

Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Final Fantasy X

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Nice to see that VI and IX are the leaders in the poll here.
I'd say that VI is slightly better, but they're both absolute masterpieces.

Jun 11, 2008
RandV80 said:
Bear In Heaven said:
Final Fantasy IX was always my favourite. I remember back in my internet novice days lurking on various vidya game sites such as Gamespot and GameFAQS, FFIX was universally (save for the regulars on the game's GameFAQS forum) reviled as the one of the most disappointing of the main series and FFVII was universally heralded as the epitome of vidya games. Fast foward about a decade (I'm old, I know!) and it's esentially reversed. FFIX is the bee's knees and FFVII is overrated. But if everyone thinks FFVII is overrated, then who actually over rates it?

Even though it took about a decade Australia finally got Final Fantasy Tactics...The War of The Lions. And I must say, outside of the main series it's hands down the best game Square has ever created. Hot damn, that is perfect game. Everything about it is perfect, the story, characters, atmosphere, gameplay. Genius. Yes, even Ramza's crotch piece armour is genius.
Maybe the very vocal people who think Square stands to make truck loads of money if they'd just devote the millions it would require into making a full modern HD FFVII remake?
What you mean the people who never ever bring it up unless Square does first?

kyogen

Feb 22, 2011
The best in terms of what? Our personal favorites?

FF XII is my personal best FF. I like the characters and artwork, love the politics, and enjoy the license board and programmable AI.

And what if someone wants to argue that FF I is the best because it started it all? I'd have no problem with that even though I'd disagree.