Poll: Best-looking Avenger

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
So I've noticed a certain discrepancy...

I've been following the MCU for some time now--I've seen it all except for Agent Carter, Season 2 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and the one-shots--and I've noticed that Thor is generally considered "the hot one." In the first Thor movie, both Jane and Darcy swoon over Thor. Both Skye and Agent May classify Thor as "dreamy" and Skye even goes far enough to say something like "I'd like to get my hands on [him]."

However, being a teacher of secondary students who are full of hormones, the general conversation consensus of my female students is that that Captain America is "the hot one." This isn't completely without precedent in the MCU. There is that one scene in Captain America: The First Avenger where a lady in the military staff throws herself at Cap, inciting jealously from Peggy Carter. In addition, there may be some regional influence. I live and work in the American South; it's possible that Cap's clean-cut, more conventional, military look is better received because of cultural norms here. I had long hair tied-back in a ponytail for some months at the beginning of this school term and I was practically considered a mutant.

So, let's see if we can't gain some insight. If you are attracted to men--or if you're not but confident enough in your sexuality and you ability judge male attractiveness--sound off. Who's the current-reigning MCU hotness?

Some discussion in the comments as to why you voted as you did should be interesting.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
Yes, I know I didn't include Black Widow. The OP is about male attractiveness, and that would derail the point of the poll/thread.

And because it probably wasn't clear via implication, I am a straight male.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
I'll go ahead and throw in my two cents. I think Tony Stark probably the most attractive. He's a good character, who's probably the easiest to sympathize with of the group thus far. He's also suave when he wants to be, and Robert Downey jr. is just easy on the eyes anyways. Also as a character the fact that he's filthy rich and brilliant play hugely into his attractiveness. He does have his bad spots, he can be pretty arrogant, has a problem with athority, not to mention that for a long time was an alcoholic, and a terrible womanizer. Still him actually improving himself through out his arc is also really easy to appreciate.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Captain America. I prefer clean-shaven.

If Hemsworth had a shave, though, it might be a different answer.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
LeathermanKick25 said:
How on earth do you find Stark the easiest to sympathize with?
Basically only him and Hawkeye have more, or less real world problems, flaws, goals, and positives. Banner is basically totally broken because of The Hulk, Thor is a literal god, and Cap is basically a relic of a bygone era. None of those three really relate to people easily either because of what they've been through, or in Thor's case just not being on the same page as humanity. Between Tony and Hawkeye... Tony is the one who's far easier to understand, his problems are understandable, so are his motives, goals, and ideals. You don't have to agree with him, but he makes a damn good argument, and those arguments are rational.

remnant_phoenix

Apr 4, 2011
LeathermanKick25 said:
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
I'll go ahead and throw in my two cents. I think Tony Stark probably the most attractive. He's a good character, who's probably the easiest to sympathize with of the group thus far. He's also suave when he wants to be, and Robert Downey jr. is just easy on the eyes anyways. Also as a character the fact that he's filthy rich and brilliant play hugely into his attractiveness. He does have his bad spots, he can be pretty arrogant, has a problem with athority, not to mention that for a long time was an alcoholic, and a terrible womanizer. Still him actually improving himself through out his arc is also really easy to appreciate.
How on earth do you find Stark the easiest to sympathize with?

OT: I'm torn between Thor and Cap. They both put in ridiculous mass for their roles (those of us working out to gain size can definitely admire it). I'd go with Cap. It's not hard to see why they chose Evans physique to portray a super soldier.

Now if Hemsworth was rocking a proper Nordic beard? I'd be mirin that.
I think maybe Stark is (arguably) the easiest to empathize with because he's the most human; he's the most humanly flawed; he's the only one who seemed to suffer any sort of trauma from what happened in the first Avengers movie (like any average person would if they went through that). In comparison, Thor is a literal god whose only flaw has been his pride (which he mostly conquered in his first movie), Captain America is a true paragon of human virtue and physique, and Bruce Banner--though purely human when he isn't the Hulk--has inhumanly high intelligence, even more than Stark, and has, through serious training, honed his sense of self-control and emotional regulation far beyond anything that most people have ever reached.

I personally don't relate to Stark very well, but I get how one could argue that he is the most humanly relatable.

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Basically only him and Hawkeye have more, or less real world problems, flaws, goals, and positives. Banner is basically totally broken because of The Hulk, Thor is a literal god, and Cap is basically a relic of a bygone era. None of those three really relate to people easily either because of what they've been through, or in Thor's case just not being on the same page as humanity. Between Tony and Hawkeye... Tony is the one who's far easier to understand, his problems are understandable, so are his motives, goals, and ideals. You don't have to agree with him, but he makes a damn good argument, and those arguments are rational.
I wanna second this. Especially with what happened in Iron Man 3 as well. Personally Iron Man in this MCU series is my favourite character, partly 'cause of the humour and partly because of the relate-able flaws.

OT: Going solely off appearance alone, I'm afraid I'm in the Thor camp. I'm a sucker for long, blonde hair, and there's nothing wrong with some beardy stubble. Plus dem muscles, yo. He could bench press me anytime. Plus his way of speaking is very refreshing from the usual "aight, wankah! owsit?" that I'm used to.

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
For me, it's probably a tie between Captain America and Stark. They both look good and I really like their personalities. Stark is the most flawed, but Rogers really hammers home that stoicism that was so common in WWII where he just works through his pain. I don't think I could choose if my life depended on it. I'm kind of grateful disney doesn't have the movie rights to the xmen, as putting hugh jackman's wolverine on screen with the others would be a little too much hunk for me to take.

Also, I don't care much either way for Black Widow, but I am a huge fan of Maria Hill as she is in the movies. She may not be an avenger, but she could save my life anyday. I am a straight male, believe it or not.

DrownedAmmet

Apr 13, 2015
I would have to go with Captain America.
From the first Avengers I thought that Thor was more muscle-y than Cap, but in the recent one they seemed about even, physique wise. But I'm not a big fan of long hair, so Cap gets it.

Plus his stand alone movies are better than Thors, imo

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I resent the lack of Black Widow, who is the "Best Looking Avenger" by every definition of those words.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
I'd say it's a 60/40 split between Cap'n A and Thor.

I think it's a spectrum from "Handsome" to "Sexy." Stark is at the "Handsome" end, Thor is at the "Sexy" end, and Rogers is right in the middle.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Best looking Avenger is Black Widow but I'm gonna play along.

Chris Evans as Captain America just... looks nice. I'm not into guys at all but he's just pleasant to look at, though Bruce Banner and Thor, while less physically appealing to me, are still entertaining and attractive in other ways.

Tony Stark on the other hand is a jackass, but that's his character and Robert Downey Jr. portrays him excellently. I just have an extreme aversion to people like that in real life.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
sky14kemea said:
OT: Going solely off appearance alone, I'm afraid I'm in the Thor camp. I'm a sucker for long, blonde hair, and there's nothing wrong with some beardy stubble. Plus dem muscles, yo.
I kind of second this (I guess he is my man crush) which I guess it means I liked the rugged look?. In saying that is in term of aperance and when it come to personality I kind of favour Steve/ Cap. I liked to think that when you're dating Cap, he is a gentlemen, honest and treat you fairly and respect.

Sure Tony is relatable but I kind of find him too much of a flirt and also he's comminted to Pepper now so yeah... (Oh wait I forgot Jane Foster for Thor.)

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
LeathermanKick25 said:
Wandering_Hero said:
I thought I understand what women were attracted on average, then I ran into hordes of Loki fangirls. Now I seriously have no clue
Skinny white guys with an english accent. Emphasis on the accent. It's like a goddamn superpower.
You know whenever I read posts like this I kinda feel that I should get a little more in shape and then holiday in the US. By the way it gets brought up all the time I get the impression I wouldn't get out of the airport without women throwing themselves at me.

Is an English accent REALLY that good?

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Captain America and Thor certainly are close in terms of looks, but I think I lean more towards Thor from that perspective, if only because I can't get past how it looks like Cap's got muscle boobs when he wears tight shirts (looks fine in the jacket/shirt combo, though).

Cap is certainly the one I want to hug the most, though, but that's more because he's so cheesy and I love it and yes.